Author Topic: We dont stand a chance!  (Read 10305 times)

Offline waterfowler

• Team IceShanty Regular
We dont stand a chance!
« on: Feb 09, 2009, 04:04 AM »
Today
Feb 9
Cloudy
51°
44°

Tue
Feb 10
Mostly Cloudy
62°
48°

Wed
Feb 11
Rain / Thunder
53°
30°

Thu
Feb 12
Snow Shower / Wind
38°
24°

Fri
Feb 13
Partly Cloudy
36°
23°

Sat
Feb 14
Few Snow Showers
29°
20°

Sun
Feb 15
Partly Cloudy
30°
21°

Mon
Feb 16
Mostly Cloudy
28°
21°

Tue
Feb 17
Sunny
28°
20°

Wed
Feb 18
Partly Cloudy
31°
21°

There is no way this ice is going to hold up when the temps reach the 60's and rain in the forecast i know its supposed to get cold agian soon but i think these warms temps are going to make the ice rotten and unsafe theres no fish out there that is worth loosing your life over BE SAFE!

Offline ice chaser

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: We dont stand a chance!
« Reply #1 on: Feb 09, 2009, 06:37 AM »
  I use to look forward to warm weather before I started to ice fish, now I hate seeing the warm weather tearing up our ice. I guess I will have to take up river fishing until the lakes open up to get the boat out. :-\
Dewey, Cheatum, and Howe

Offline SkeeterJeff

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • SPUD, SPUD, SPUD!!!!!
« Reply #2 on: Feb 09, 2009, 08:37 AM »
The teasing is what drives me nuts.  Warms up enough to make the ice unsafe/iffy, then cools down just enough to make you think it's gonna make ice again, only to warm back up again.  I wish it would be like a light switch... turn on for artic air, turn off for softwater fishing.  'Course we would all be fighting over that switch.  :)

Jeff

Offline Steuben1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Feb 09, 2009, 08:49 AM »
The teasing is what drives me nuts.  Warms up enough to make the ice unsafe/iffy, then cools down just enough to make you think it's gonna make ice again, only to warm back up again.  I wish it would be like a light switch... turn on for artic air, turn off for softwater fishing.  'Course we would all be fighting over that switch.  :)

Jeff

PLEASE, PLEASE turn the switch to COLD!   :)

Offline Yogi

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #4 on: Feb 09, 2009, 11:58 AM »
It will be close but I think we will make it through the warm up and be ok.  The edges will be what gets bad first!! Yogi

Offline weekender

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Feb 09, 2009, 12:03 PM »
done done done no way it will survive that and rain and wind

Offline waterfowler

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 09, 2009, 12:36 PM »
You guys can have it all you want i have fallen through before and trust me its not fun at ALL! I have a wife and daughter at home that needs me fishing is fun as hell but its not worth dying over not to me.

Offline Fergie2u

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #7 on: Feb 09, 2009, 12:55 PM »
It should be fine here in northern Indiana.  It took 9 almost 10 weeks to make what we have it won't go away in a couple of days. Just be careful and know the lakes you visit. And for gods sake don't go alone. The words of the day are test test test. Spud bar  Spud bar spud bar

Offline waterfowler

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Feb 09, 2009, 12:57 PM »
That's probably my biggest problem i dont really have anybody to go with!

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #9 on: Feb 09, 2009, 12:59 PM »

Mud season is just around the corner...... >:( >:( >:( >:(
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline resophonic

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #10 on: Feb 09, 2009, 01:12 PM »
We had 12" ice on Christmas and was almost all gone in 3 days.

Offline wax_worm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Right out of my ice hole!
« Reply #11 on: Feb 09, 2009, 01:36 PM »
We had 12" ice on Christmas and was almost all gone in 3 days.

LMAO!!!  Where were you at where you had 12" at Christmas??  No way.  There is no snow on the ice now.  Nothing to create the water unless it rains a ton.  The water on top is what causes the problems.  The temps the other day melted it and wind blew it to one end of hte lakes where it went down at the shore.  I was out sunday with 2 inches of white ice and 12-13 inches of black ice.  This is after Saturday where it blew and was 58.  We lost all the snow and maybe and inch of ice.  One day of 60 will not ruin the ice.  Alot of rain and wind will not help it, but it will not go off from this weeks weather.  The edges will be soft, but it will not go away.  just be careful and you can fish this weekend....Suppsed to get cold right after this warmup.

Offline Hoosier Papaw

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Still lookin' for my avatar fish...
« Reply #12 on: Feb 09, 2009, 01:38 PM »
Got my hiney puckered and my fingers crossed!!! :laugh:

Offline Jigmup

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Feb 09, 2009, 01:42 PM »
The only way the ice goes off is if it rains for 2 days and the wind blows along with the rain. I'm not talking a little rain....I'm talking a deluge and high winds. We'll be fishing next weekend in my opinion.
Never tell a fish where its supposed to be

Offline Fish_Tko

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Feb 09, 2009, 01:44 PM »

Mud season is just around the corner...... >:( >:( >:( >:(

My dogs reminded me of that this weekend...... What a mess.
There is only one theory about angling in which I have perfect confidence, and this is that the two words, least appropriate to any statement, about it, are the words "always" and "never."

Offline Mr. gill

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Feb 09, 2009, 01:47 PM »
a buddy of mine is fishing up around the Barbee chain and called said the ice is still 12+. The edges are still good also just be carefull.

Offline bass man

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Feb 09, 2009, 03:06 PM »
Look at the bright side guys
It gives us a chance to sharpen blades
Sort out our tackle and change our line and not have to rush
Just think of it as a New Year as soon as the warm front goes through
We all know we will be back on the ice soon
Hang in there !!!!!!

Offline stag

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • It's what I do....
« Reply #17 on: Feb 09, 2009, 03:33 PM »
hey wax worm we had about 10-12 inches of ice around Christmas...I was riding my atv on the ice...
Duane

Offline rcjim

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Feb 09, 2009, 03:36 PM »
12 inches of ice is not coming off quickly. Two or three sixty degree days would take off maybe half of that. There will still be 8 inches of ice in Northern Indiana this weekend. I can remember the last time we had ice this thick we were fishing on it in short sleeves on a 60 degree day. The only place that had 12 inches at Christmas was northern Minnesota

Offline northrn-duck-assassin

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Feb 09, 2009, 05:01 PM »
everybody is goin to be fine these 3 days aren't gonna hurt the ice at all if anything you might have to put down a four foot plank for that 6 inches of water on the edge of the lake which it wont even be that bad. 3 days cant tear up 12-14 inches of ice. your goin to enjoy the 60 degrees ice fishin in a t-shirt. im not sayin oh everything is ok and fine always use caution while ice fishin even if the lake is completely locked up!! i mean the way i look at it all the boys fleeing off the lake im still out there and thats more fish for me to catch. i have fallen through also, but i guess im just a die hard. anybody that is lookin for fishin partner this weekend let me know im goin i'll help watch over you if you really want fish that bad i suppose. tight lines to the boys stayin on the ice!!!
Got one goin'!

Offline A- bomb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • THE ORIGINAL...ORIGINAL! Go drop A Bomb on 'em
« Reply #20 on: Feb 09, 2009, 05:11 PM »
this weekend- I'M IN!!!

maybe a poor choice of words....I'M GOING!!
its not over til i see my hat floating next to me :o
Lack of planning on your part in NO way constitutes an EMERGENCY on mine

Offline northrn-duck-assassin

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Feb 09, 2009, 05:35 PM »
there's what im talkin about, good to see someone isnt worried and loves those fish on the line. let me know if you wanna join cause im goin out fri night, saturday all day prob lookin for a few different species then sunday same thing again. dont have to join all day but if ya wanna catch a fish or two and share a beer or what not let me know!
Got one goin'!

Offline h2.0shaver

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Feb 09, 2009, 05:36 PM »
I'll tell you, what I was watching for today were the seepage holes out on Bass Lake. The water is running into the lake in a bunch of holes, swirling like a toilet. These holes are spread out, easy to see during light but not sure about night time. I stopped by Bass after hitting Maxi this morning. I didn't see any seepage holes at Maxi( not that they aren't there) . Point being, these holes aren't going to freeze up anytime soon. Theres definitely fishable ice and should be for a while.(Rain dependant) Just be extra careful, common sense, etc.

Offline Crookedlake92

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Feb 09, 2009, 07:13 PM »
Ain't scared......... I fish smart........ And I'm not falling thru.... However, I will be fishing.........

Offline Billie_95

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Feb 09, 2009, 07:22 PM »
At Max today infront of beach,We had 12 inch of ice.We only lodt 2 inches.I think we will make it.If not Boat time.Them jumbo,s are coming.

Offline h2.0shaver

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Feb 09, 2009, 10:34 PM »
At Max today infront of beach,We had 12 inch of ice.We only lodt 2 inches.I think we will make it.If not Boat time.Them jumbo,s are coming.
I seen you guys, I left about 12

Offline leavnsorlips

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #26 on: Feb 10, 2009, 12:22 AM »
i been stressed out all night at work!!! just knew it'd be done by thurs or fri!!! man i like hearin the optimism. i just aint ready to be done yet!!!!

Offline teardrop

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Feb 10, 2009, 05:16 AM »
Be optimistic! It ain't over yet. Just a little reforming we'll be ice fishing in March! Anyway I hope.  That's spring break and theres noting like Ice fishing for Jumbos and getting my tan on at the same time. Teardrop

Offline crappie rob

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #28 on: Feb 10, 2009, 07:46 AM »
Forecast highs in the middle 30's, and lows middle 20's, starting Thursday!!! If the ice can survive 70 degree temps today, and an inch of rain tomorrow....... Oh well bring on the baseball season!!! LET'S GO CUBS!!!! C-ya. Crappie Rob.
Lets Go Cubs. Bring on the baseball season!!!

Offline lionhrt9

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #29 on: Feb 10, 2009, 08:31 AM »
Forecast highs in the middle 30's, and lows middle 20's, starting Thursday!!! If the ice can survive 70 degree temps today, and an inch of rain tomorrow....... Oh well bring on the baseball season!!! LET'S GO CUBS!!!! C-ya. Crappie Rob.

I hear ya there CRob, if it holds out great, if not, tis the season.  It was a he11 of a good one this year!!

Go Cubs

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.