Author Topic: Jiffy SD60i nothing but PROBLEMS  (Read 5705 times)

Offline gobigorgohomenow101

• Team IceShanty Regular
Jiffy SD60i nothing but PROBLEMS
« on: Mar 14, 2014, 11:17 PM »
I picked up a Jiffy SD60i two years ago. So far all the plastic parts fell off, the muffler broke, melted the heat shield and everything needed to be replaced. After using thread lock (the red stuff might I add) everything fell off again, now it refuses to start and when you pull start it it sounds like something rattled loose on the inside of the motor. Not to mention it always needs 10-20 pulls before it even sputters, in -30 or more its 20+! Anyone else had all these issues with their own? When it runs it cuts well, but it's miserable the rest of the time. Looks like I'll be getting an Eskimo Z71 for next season now... Unless someone has a better recommendation for an auger (please don't say Tanaka, Stihl or Husqy, don't fish enough to justify a 900$+ auger).

Offline theguy

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Jiffy SD60i nothing but PROBLEMS
« Reply #1 on: Mar 14, 2014, 11:23 PM »
It seems people have lots of problems with the new jiffy's and eskimos. I have a old jiffy model 33 its not as light and does not cut as fast. But if you can find one if good shape yet thats for sale. Its a reliable choice

Offline gobigorgohomenow101

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Mar 14, 2014, 11:27 PM »
I know the old ones are but I'm looking at new preferably. Or are all the new augers so terrible I say to hell with it and actually do get one of the good reliable ones? Looking for a 10 inch preferably.

Offline pcdoc

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Mar 14, 2014, 11:39 PM »
I have a jiffy 30 runs great ,,looking to sell it for around 250 lol

Offline daniels papa

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Mar 15, 2014, 12:34 AM »
i have a jiffy model 30 its 25 yrs old .i never drain the fuel never change the spark plug i even have an old auger i put on for the summer and drill post holes never had any problem with it .if you can find one i think they are reliable..

Offline Captainmorgan

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I don't believe anything on this forum
« Reply #5 on: Mar 15, 2014, 09:54 AM »
I bought a 51cc eskimo this year. Only issue I had was with the fuel cap. Supposed to be self venting.....bought a jiffy adjustable cap and she runs fine now. Usually starts first or second pull

Offline BIGEYEGETR

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Mar 15, 2014, 04:06 PM »
If you treat it very good, the eskimo will do it for ya.  The rewinds are weak though.  Older jiffy's are real good but if you get one that's too new, they are junk and don't start worth a toot.  Especially in the cold.  The ones made now with all the plastic on them are double junk.

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #7 on: Mar 16, 2014, 03:43 AM »
It's unbelievable how the old ones keep punching out the holes.

WS

Offline farmboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Mar 16, 2014, 07:56 AM »
I picked up a Strikemaster on sale 2 yrs ago and have never looked back. Been a great auger and I have no complaints. Definately would buy another one

Offline Gkomo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Mar 16, 2014, 08:15 PM »
I bought a solo strike master about 5 years ago always starts with at least 2 pulls and have never had a problem .

Offline sully75

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Mar 17, 2014, 11:43 AM »
I bought an sd60i 4 years ago. Nothing but troubles with it from the beginning. Wouldnt start when it was cold, so I brought it in and the choke was broken on it right out of the box.  My muffler also broke, and I have had to replace the recoil twice.  Will definatly be looking at a diffeert auger for next season.

Offline adipose

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • WHAT OTHERS THINK OF ME IS NONE OF MY BUSINESS
« Reply #11 on: Mar 18, 2014, 02:15 PM »
I bought an sd60i 4 years ago. Nothing but troubles with it from the beginning. Wouldnt start when it was cold, so I brought it in and the choke was broken on it right out of the box.  My muffler also broke, and I have had to replace the recoil twice.  Will definatly be looking at a diffeert auger for next season.

maybe tell jiffy about your problems...it would be interesting to see what they say even if its off warranty

Offline Blaine Lutz

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Mar 18, 2014, 04:43 PM »
I picked up a Jiffy SD60i two years ago. So far all the plastic parts fell off, the muffler broke, melted the heat shield and everything needed to be replaced. After using thread lock (the red stuff might I add) everything fell off again, now it refuses to start and when you pull start it it sounds like something rattled loose on the inside of the motor. Not to mention it always needs 10-20 pulls before it even sputters, in -30 or more its 20+! Anyone else had all these issues with their own? When it runs it cuts well, but it's miserable the rest of the time. Looks like I'll be getting an Eskimo Z71 for next season now... Unless someone has a better recommendation for an auger (please don't say Tanaka, Stihl or Husqy, don't fish enough to justify a 900$+ auger).

Get the skinny on eskimo rewinds, Cabelas staff told me they are getting tons back with broken rewinds
Always willing to try something new.

Offline canada

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Mar 18, 2014, 11:54 PM »
Get the skinny on eskimo rewinds, Cabelas staff told me they are getting tons back with broken rewinds

I researched and researched- went w an eskimo shark in 10in.
My older augers are jiffy and I tell you this thing is twice the auger,  the pull is a short one so I can see where guys are trying to really pull long that would cause an issue- cabbalas guy said same to me, and also said they will outsell jiffy 3-1.

Offline Blaine Lutz

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Mar 23, 2014, 06:06 PM »
Check this out.  Supposed to be quite common for JIFFY propane augers

runaway auger works too
Always willing to try something new.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.