The ice fishing PA boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: To vex or not to vex?..that is the question  (Read 3489 times)

Offline wiggly812

• Team IceShanty Regular
To vex or not to vex?..that is the question
« on: Jan 28, 2018, 03:23 PM »
I seem to be one of the remaining few die-hard ice anglers who have yet to invest in electronics.  My two main fishing buddies now have vexilars.  I have held out for a couple reasons, one being financial the other being a reluctance to step away from the old school "learn how to find them method".  I have listened to arguments from both sides, and am now considering my options.  However, I am starting this thread/topic for you guys to weigh in and tell me your opinions. So, am I the only one who doesn't have a vex by choice? ???
If you ain't havin fun, you ain't doing it right.

Offline Gills4me

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: To vex or not to vex?..that is the question
« Reply #1 on: Jan 28, 2018, 03:53 PM »
I have a vex.........sitting in my old ice fishing bucket collecting dust ..don't care how many fish I catch they all get released.im like you I like the challenge of trying to catch

Offline kris11b

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 28, 2018, 03:54 PM »
It took me a while to pull the trigger because of cost. It's worth the ability to move around and not waste time on an unproductive hole.  If you can wait, Craigslist has a few after ice season from buyers remorse. Even a a FL-8 changes the game when you find them in the water column where you wouldn't normally fish/jig. Take an old .22 and trade it. Or buy, either way I would vex.

Offline Freytown

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 28, 2018, 04:28 PM »
I never used one until last year. Bot a FL-8 and the best $280 I ever spent. Adds a whole new outlook to something I enjoy in the winter months.

Offline Oneflagdown

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 28, 2018, 04:50 PM »
Never used one till this year and don't own one yet but I can tell you that one you get one you will see and catch more fish . It is amazing to c how many fish come to your bait and not take it some as you know he is there and give a little jig boom he on . So there is one coming to me in the very near future .

Offline cajuntony

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 28, 2018, 05:04 PM »
I vex and aqua view...because i've sat too many times not knowing wats below even wit a spring bobber...knowing da depth , cribbage , and fish are below is invaluble along wit holes drill  in a certain spot i target..its money well spent in my opinion

Offline fleasimbeck

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 28, 2018, 05:05 PM »
  I was like you. Like the old way and threw everything back. I  got a fl 12 three years ago. Use it on the ice and in my kayak.  Love it. My catch rate went up and less time in dead holes.  The fish still go back, and You can  turn it off for old time sake, but I bet you won't.

Offline Drew754

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 28, 2018, 05:37 PM »
I am rather new to ice fishing and just received electronics in the mail on Friday. took me a little bit to bite the bullet and buy one. I took it out for the first time yesterday and quickly realized how this changes everything. All it took was one time dropping down to find out just how often I was fishing just above the fish. they were locked on the bottom and with being able to see after just a few minutes the fish would separate from the bottom and at least engage in my jig. Or, nothing at all would be seen so I would move on to another hole. I watching the screen and a mark appeared 2 feet above my jig so I moved it to the mark and immediately hooked a suspended crappie, I was smiling ear to ear. I cant figure out why in the world, if you have the means, to choose not to fish without one. I get the "old school" aspect of it. However, my time is precious anymore and why fish dead holes wondering if there is anything beneath me, when I would know in an instant. I would rather spend my time knowing I am over fish, even if they are finicky and have lockjaw, at least I would know. My two cents worth...

Offline captain54

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Jan 28, 2018, 05:50 PM »
I'm old,and old school doesn't cut it. Been using a Vex for over 20 years. I bought a Marcum XL 5 I last year. I had them in two holes at Erie side by side. I haven't fish two rods in twenty plus years. Both units are good,hate to admit it but that Marcum is real nice unit. It's a know brainer. If you can afford it,buy it. Call Vex and ask about a rebuilt one. Save a bunch and still get a warranty.

Offline Petros

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 28, 2018, 06:06 PM »
I used to walk everywhere, then I got a car! Zoom Zoom! There is no argument here. Want to catch more fish , no brainer! Wanna stay old school , cool go home empty handed!

Offline ronco

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 28, 2018, 06:11 PM »
I seem to be one of the remaining few die-hard ice anglers who have yet to invest in electronics.  My two main fishing buddies now have vexilars.  I have held out for a couple reasons, one being financial the other being a reluctance to step away from the old school "learn how to find them method".  I have listened to arguments from both sides, and am now considering my options.  However, I am starting this thread/topic for you guys to weigh in and tell me your opinions. So, am I the only one who doesn't have a vex by choice? ???

Call around to the sporting goods near you to see if any of them rent ice fish finders. I rented a Vexilar here in Colorado many years ago, when I told it back I bought one there at the store.
The secret to fishing.....fish where the fish are.

Offline hard water jim

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 28, 2018, 06:17 PM »
Next time we go you can use mine and see what you think. I am still learning about the Vex but so far I am not catching any more fish then before. Nothing to do with the Vex just haven't found the hole with more fish.
If you think your going to have a bad day you will seldom disappoint yourself!

Offline pikemanEd

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 28, 2018, 07:08 PM »
I use a Garmin striker4 I love it has gps also I love to mark a productive hole and go back to the exact spot next time out and hammer the fish again. You can use the traditional fish finder or use flasher mode
Go big or go home

Offline wiggly812

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 28, 2018, 11:47 PM »
I truly appreciate everyone's opinions, which is why I brought the topic up.  I was leaning towards getting one after the season anyway, but wanted to hear from you guys.  Like gills4me, I enjoy the challenge, but have had a couple tough days this season.  And fleasimbeck is right, I can shut it off for old times sake, especially when on a lake I am familiar with.  Petros perhaps makes the point most vividly...and made me chuckle.  Thanks guys.  Oh , and hardwaterjim, we are due for some good days.

Offline 4x4Dad

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 29, 2018, 03:52 AM »
Also don't forget , with sonar you can shoot through the ice before you drill . Just make a small spot to hold some saltwater , place your transducer in the puddle of water and see what's below . Saves alot of drilling .

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Jan 29, 2018, 05:36 AM »
Here's the thing. Guys have been using sonar for fishing for decades. It's really nothing new. It's just that they have gotten better and more "main stream". They are kind of fun to use and just add to the experience. If you want to set traps, you don't need one. But if you are jigging, then it's a good thing to have. It takes some time to figure out what you are seeing and it helps if you have a buddy that will explain things. Then you need to understand what the fish are actually doing when you get a mark.

Old school is nice. It can be fun. But if the guys back then had a reliable flasher, they would have used it.

Offline Kov619

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Jan 29, 2018, 06:22 AM »
I’m 66 years old.  Fished old school the things changed  I tried one a Vex fl8...changed every thing seeing where the fish are. ...you have to catch them they just do not jump on the hook....then this year got a deal on a fl12...free shipping ...for.  300 bucks now I have a backup...or can fish 2 holes at the same time  will not go old school...again...maybe setting up tip ups ....lol...
Bad ice is bad for your health....walk with care....

Offline chez

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Jan 29, 2018, 06:34 AM »
I never used one until last year. Bot a FL-8 and the best $280 I ever spent. Adds a whole new outlook to something I enjoy in the winter months.

Right on Frytown!!!!!!!!!

Offline supervdl

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Jan 29, 2018, 06:47 AM »
Buying the flasher two years ago was the best money I ever spent on ice fishing gear. It adds a lot to the experience. Now I jig much more than I used to and I am a lot more effective doing it.

Offline fleasimbeck

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Jan 29, 2018, 08:40 AM »
Well I did it. Ordered a vex 28 last night. The Madness never stops.

Offline Snapper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Jan 29, 2018, 08:49 AM »
That's not even a question you must Vex.  I'm as old school as they come.  I do not face book snap chat nothing.  I did not even get a cell phone until two years ago when my employer made me or I still would not have one.  I've been using a flasher for years... Flashers are a tool that WILL increase your success drastically if you fish with jigging rods.  We used them this past weekend to set tip-ups to a very specific depth and did very well.  We would not have been able to tune the presentation like that without them.  Get a model with the bottom lock if you are fishing 15 f.o.w. or greater.

But they are pricey.  If the price point is worth it for you and the amount of and or type of fishing that you do I would most certainly get one.         

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Jan 29, 2018, 08:49 AM »
niiiice. You'll have fun with it!

Offline WiMeatHunter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Jan 29, 2018, 08:56 AM »
I'll chime in and kick the dead horse a lil more!!! About 20 years ago I fished old school, then one day my buddy let me use a Zercom unit to jig for deeper water bluegills. That day my eyes were opened to what I was missing underneath the ice. Since that day I haven't fished without electronics. Now if I drill a hole and fish, and I don't see any action I move on to the next hole until I find active fish. There are days when the fish still win, you may find em, but some days they just don't want to eat. Sure is a lot better than just sitting there wondering if anything is down there, now you can tell!!! Do it!!!
WiMeatHunter

Offline supervdl

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Jan 29, 2018, 11:18 AM »
Well I did it. Ordered a vex 28 last night. The Madness never stops.

congrats! you will have a lot of fun on the ice with it!

Offline jdombek

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Jan 29, 2018, 12:05 PM »
Don't have one yet, but only spend a few days a year on the ice, so just doesn't seem worth the money. I expect that I'll find myself searching for something used after the season is over though.

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Jan 29, 2018, 12:59 PM »
There are other alternatives. If you have a small fish finder for a boat, they will work very well sometimes also. I have a Lowrance Elite 4x Chirp on my kayak. If I got the ice kit for it I could use it all year. I just haven't cuz I have a hummingbird flasher. But I started with an old portable Eagle fish ID FF.

Offline NEZ

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Good fishing and safe ice
« Reply #26 on: Jan 29, 2018, 02:31 PM »
I have used many different flashers and have owned personally a Hummingbird ICE 35, Showdown 5.6db and Marcum LX7 in addition to some Lowrance and eagle fish finders used on the ice.  Not a big fan of Vex, but this is my preference.  I will drive back home to get my Marcum LX7 if I forgot it.  Nez

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #27 on: Jan 29, 2018, 02:32 PM »
It's really up the the person if they want to use a fish finder or not but I will say a few thing.  The fish finders don't make you catch fish, they only tell you if they're in your hole and how they're reacting to your lure and presentation.  Yes they help you increase your odds of catching fish because obviously you know if there's any fish in the hole your fishing or not but ultimately it comes down to your lure selection and presentation.  Four years ago I bought a Showdown Dual Beam and love it, it has made ice fishing even more fun for me and I'd never fish without a fish finder again.  I've been ice fishing since 1996, caught lots of fish without a fish finder, and still can but I'd rather fish with one .  On a side note the title of this topic is rather interesting considering there was a post about three years ago with this exact title that ended up in a huge argument and it was deleted last year by the person who originally posted it.  Anyone remember that big blow out, I'm sure there's more than a few that do.  Now I'm not saying anything bad just pointing out an observation.

Offline wiggly812

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Jan 29, 2018, 02:45 PM »
Chris338378, thanks for your comments.  I don't remember the early topic thread.  Here I thought I was being clever and original...haha.  anyway, I was just looking for everyone's input, and maybe wanted to accumulate more reasons to justify getting one.  It is pretty much a done deal for me now.  I will have one as soon as possible, maybe this season.  If not, I will have one ready to go for next year.  I appreciate everyone's opinions and comments, and the fact that everyone kept it civil.

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #29 on: Jan 29, 2018, 04:16 PM »
You're welcome for the comments.  This is certainly far more civil than the previous topic with this name, the original poster started out asking for everyone's opinion and when they were for using fish finders he flipped out on them and told them that they were cheating by using one.  It was a good shot at being original with the title.  Good luck with your new fish finder, I'm sure you'll like it and ask yourself why you waited so long to get one, I know I did.  By the way which one did you decide on getting? 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.