Author Topic: Favorite jigs n' baits - trout through the ice  (Read 11313 times)

Offline okie fish

• IceShanty Rookie
  • fish smile at us when were frozen! HA!HA!HA!
Re: Favorite jigs n' baits - trout through the ice
« Reply #30 on: Feb 07, 2011, 11:18 PM »
in SE Wyoming Ive been killing them on Berkley gulp minnows 1 inch and 3inch on jigheads I have caught alot of rainbows over 21 inch's 3 feet under the ice and the small stockers right on the bottom. they both respond to dead sticking and jigging.
Dang its colder up here! but at least we have ICE! Cant wait 2 take my kids Ice-fishing

Offline _colorado

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Retired to MN
« Reply #31 on: Feb 09, 2011, 12:34 PM »
OK, so I just ordered a few of the Flutter Fish from PK Lures based on this thread.  Hopefully they will arrive quickly!!  Got a couple of white glow and one nickel one for pike/trout. 

Offline Brute Force

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #32 on: Feb 09, 2011, 02:08 PM »
OK, so I just ordered a few of the Flutter Fish from PK Lures based on this thread.  Hopefully they will arrive quickly!!  Got a couple of white glow and one nickel one for pike/trout.  

I caught lakers at Granby and Green Mtn on the 1/4 oz chartreuse flutter fish.
That's all Sportmans in Thornton had for size (wanted a little heavier to get down quicker) but it worked! I think I paid 2.99?
To my suprise the Chubby Darter has had the most agressive strikes though. Little pricey at 7 bucks but it catches fish.

Offline _colorado

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Retired to MN
« Reply #33 on: Feb 10, 2011, 01:58 PM »
I'm headed up to Turquoise on Saturday with a couple of buddies and, hopefully, the Flutter Fish will be here by then.  I noticed they shipped today from Cheyenne so it shouldn't be too long to get to Colorado Springs...."shouldn't"....

Offline The Woodsman

• IceShanty Rookie
  • High Country Lakes in Colorado
« Reply #34 on: Feb 18, 2011, 08:48 AM »
To answer the dead-stick question...  It's mostly all an experiment!  The classic advice is to jig a good bit when you start to attract fish to the area, then it seems like keeping the line still is best most of the time.  However I've gotten LOTS of hits when I first drop to the bottom and am cranking back up just a few inches.  Seems they often hit on that crank.  Also, when you want to pull your bait/lure up to check it, do so s-l-o-w-l-y and you just might get luck on the way up, and discover that fish are suspended at a different level.  Play with the options, but yes, most of the time, keep it still.  In fact I find that leaving the rod and reel sitting on the ice instead of in my hand, I can detect more subtle bites I would miss.  Get one of those little wire extensions for your rod that indicate subtle strikes.  They help a lot too.  Have fun!   ;D
Bite Fish Bite! Bite Fish Bite!  Pappa sez you have to, Momma sez you might!

Offline _colorado

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Retired to MN
« Reply #35 on: Feb 18, 2011, 12:15 PM »
I did receive my Flutter Fishin time for the trip to Turquoise last weekend.  As I sat in the hut I decided to put it on and give it a try.  When I opened the package I got stuck by the treble hook, jerked my hand back with the hook still in my finger.  The Flutter Fish  released from my finger, bounced once and went right into the hole. :tipup: 

Bye-Bye Flutter Fish.  Never got to fish it... :-\

I have another one at home and will try it at 11 Mile on Monday.  I'll rig it up before I leave home!   ;D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.