Author Topic: Slush....Slush Everywhere!!  (Read 4672 times)

Offline 350 Mag

• Team IceShanty Regular
Slush....Slush Everywhere!!
« on: Jan 19, 2020, 09:54 PM »
In 20. + Years of living and fishing in the North I have NEVER seen the amount of slush we have right now.

I am talking 5-6 miles of slush...some so bad a 600 etc was stuck and a Yamaha Venture was stuck as well.

I made it through...but I was running low on fuel....S.B Assault 800.

It was a crazy day for sure....

Anyone heading North of Candle Lake leave the fan machines at home....

Offline jpicks

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Slush....Slush Everywhere!!
« Reply #1 on: Jan 19, 2020, 10:21 PM »
Hammer down!

Offline 350 Mag

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 19, 2020, 10:25 PM »
Pics

Offline sandman66

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 20, 2020, 12:38 PM »
In 20. + Years of living and fishing in the North I have NEVER seen the amount of slush we have right now.

I am talking 5-6 miles of slush...some so bad a 600 etc was stuck and a Yamaha Venture was stuck as well.

I made it through...but I was running low on fuel....S.B Assault 800.

It was a crazy day for sure....

Anyone heading North of Candle Lake leave the fan machines at home....

Which lake were you on? So are you saying my Voyaguer wouldn't make it on Whelan?

Offline 350 Mag

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 21, 2020, 03:03 PM »
I wasn't on Whelan ...was on a secret lake....

Depends.

Voyageur 550 fan?

You might be alright, as I heard hose are too bad in Powder???

The last 4-5 miles of the one lake came off was ALL slush.

So not sure what Whelan is like but on a fan do you feel comfortable almost full throttle for 5 miles.....

My 800 was "working" at times ....that's 160 h.p vs 60 in almost the same chassis.

I have Axys SB Assault 800 144.

Offline 350 Mag

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 21, 2020, 03:05 PM »
Don't go by yourself ANYWHERE.....and if you do bring an emergency blanket, folding saw, good fire starter, spare socks, and a small block and tackle or some sort of jack....spare belts(plural) and something to dry your clutches.

The one guys machines clutches were half in water....if he was by himself without a way to lift machine he was toast.

Offline 350 Mag

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 21, 2020, 03:08 PM »
I have never seen the fishing this slow in 20 some years.  We are on termite "flyout" lakes and they are DEAD!

It's a really bad January lull right now.

Not sure if they are catching at Deschaumault????

Offline Namaycusher

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 21, 2020, 04:10 PM »
I'm a north of you and will echo all of those comments, went fishing this weekend and found slush all over. Lots of small lakes with spider holes big enough to swallow a half ton. Not looking like a great winter for sleds.

Stay Topside

Offline sandman66

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 21, 2020, 05:47 PM »
I don't understand why you are so hesitant to say where you were - nobody was asking about fish. Are you north of La Ronge? North of Otter? Would be nice to have accurate information more than fear mongering. Maybe Joe Blow will cancel his trip to Weyakwin - because it's "north" of Candle when there might be zero slush there. Or people planning on the poker derby at Stanley Mission will decide not to go because there is slush on lakes north of Candle.
In my experience the lakes north of La Ronge are more likely to have bad slush than south.

Offline Scrunt

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 21, 2020, 08:56 PM »
As someone who goes north on the regular to ice fish I turn to this page and others for ice, snow, heave and slush conditions. The fact that a fellow angler would withhold vital information such as terrible and possibly life threatening slush conditions (givin the circumstances) you should feel embarrassed.

Offline 350 Mag

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 22, 2020, 12:05 AM »
Wildnest Lake.

Offline 350 Mag

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 22, 2020, 06:11 AM »
I'm a north of you and will echo all of those comments, went fishing this weekend and found slush all over. Lots of small lakes with spider holes big enough to swallow a half ton. Not looking like a great winter for sleds.

Stay Topside

Do you know 100% those spider holes were open?

I driven over those lots but by accident, and when I see one coming I am on the throttle HARD..

Only seen one sled once hit an airhole but it was a Yamaha Viking and it didn't sink.

To the guys wondering so much where I am....you have never heard of the lakes I have been on and will never find the trails these lakes that 99% of local fishermen never venture on because they are in spots you likely shouldn't be going....unless your adventurist.

I called Deschaumault Lake Lodge and they said they are doing good on that lake but girl at counter didn't know about slush.

It's warmed up now so the slush will be worse now, if that's possible.

Not life or death but just don't go alone, and be prepared.

Extra belts, snow jack, good shovel, ropes saw, camping gear.  Spot messenger or Garmin inReach.

Stay safe.

Offline sandman66

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 22, 2020, 07:59 AM »
So what is the point of telling people to avoid lakes if nobody knows where they are anyways? Just to brag how many hp your sled has? I asked if you were north of La Ronge, or north of Otter - but no clear answer.

I'll stick to sources that have actual useful information, not some "adventurist" showing how far he can operate his sled through slush.

Offline 350 Mag

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 22, 2020, 08:24 AM »
So what is the point of telling people to avoid lakes if nobody knows where they are anyways? Just to brag how many hp your sled has? I asked if you were north of La Ronge, or north of Otter - but no clear answer.

I'll stick to sources that have actual useful information, not some "adventurist" showing how far he can operate his sled through slush.

Wow....just wow.

R U a kid?

**censored** is your problem?

You don't want to be on this thread ?  Leave?

Do I have to list GOS coordinate of location of slush.

The point of my post was ALL the lakes up North have SLUSH....ALL of them!

Offline AndyJ

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 22, 2020, 08:56 AM »

...and be prepared.

Extra belts, snow jack, good shovel, ropes saw, camping gear.  Spot messenger or Garmin inReach.

Stay safe.

Good advice. Also a pair of tall waterproof boots is mandatory. Not snowmobile boots. There is nothing good about slush.

Offline Namaycusher

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Jan 22, 2020, 09:36 AM »
Do you know 100% those spider holes were open?

I driven over those lots but by accident, and when I see one coming I am on the throttle HARD..

Only seen one sled once hit an airhole but it was a Yamaha Viking and it didn't sink.

To the guys wondering so much where I am....you have never heard of the lakes I have been on and will never find the trails these lakes that 99% of local fishermen never venture on because they are in spots you likely shouldn't be going....unless your adventurist.

I called Deschaumault Lake Lodge and they said they are doing good on that lake but girl at counter didn't know about slush.

It's warmed up now so the slush will be worse now, if that's possible.

Not life or death but just don't go alone, and be prepared.

Stay safe.

I do know that they are open. I am north of La Ronge, north of Otter. I do know that the lakes around Otter and La Ronge are covered in slush as bad as you found.

If anyone needs any info on lakes in the La Ronge or Otter area, PM me. I spend enough time in the area and can try and help out.

Offline ran7ger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Jan 22, 2020, 11:06 AM »
Strange thread forsure.  Was no slush on la plonge a week ago.

Offline sandman66

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Jan 22, 2020, 12:30 PM »
Strange thread forsure.  Was no slush on la plonge a week ago.

Obviously you are wrong. Every lake up north has slush. Didn't you read the other post?

Offline sandman66

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Jan 22, 2020, 12:37 PM »
I do know that they are open. I am north of La Ronge, north of Otter. I do know that the lakes around Otter and La Ronge are covered in slush as bad as you found.

If anyone needs any info on lakes in the La Ronge or Otter area, PM me. I spend enough time in the area and can try and help out.

I own a cabin on Davis Lake, probably most people have no idea where that is, but I don't have a problem sharing information. I am pretty well versed on being prepared while travelling up there. Always ready to spend the night in the bush or on the lake.
How is the snow level up that far? The route to my cabin is usually somewhat packed because of other cabin owners in the area, but it's always risky leaving an established trail on the lakes. Some years the slush is bad, others years not at all. I would have thought not so bad this year with the lack of early snow, but maybe it was a lot deeper up there.

Offline 350 Mag

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Jan 22, 2020, 12:51 PM »
How was it a "strange" thread?

Just about everyone is saying there is BAD slush on ALL THE LAKES.

My thread is/was a General Warning?

If you don't want to heed a warning to "be prepared" then roll the dice???

You want to have specific info then ask about a specific lake?

The lakes I have heard of that are terrible right now?

Kisseynew, Presicpice, 1st, 2nd Cranberry, Athapap, Wabiskok, Wekusko, Jan, Simon house, Mikinagan, Aimee, Wildnest,

No lake is going to be "immune".?

It's because we didn't have enough good ice before the first heavy snow, them after that it warmed up to almost melti g and the floodwater came up.

I hate to see someone come up on a 550 fan trail touring sled only to spend the night stranded....?

There seems to be alot of babies on this board that immediately want Intel on the lakes you fish ?

It's kind of like hunting....IF I have success should I post a map, with "x$ marking the spot?

In the future I won't pass along ANYmore info on this board....

Offline sandman66

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Jan 22, 2020, 04:14 PM »
I had to look again to see where anyone asked about fishing on this thread. Your original post talked about bad slush, then you were asked where - and apparently it was a big secret. Nobody asked if you fished, or even brought up fishing.

Offline farmboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Jan 22, 2020, 07:36 PM »
Back to fishing fellas. Everyone stay safe out there!

Offline Doggy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Jan 22, 2020, 09:58 PM »
Could drive on Ballantyne Bay last weekend with 4x4 with some minor pushing/digging out required but people should expect it is sled only moving forward. No slush encountered.

Offline Scrunt

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Jan 23, 2020, 07:53 PM »
This guy thinks he can post a picture of sleds buried in slush and not expect real fisherman to question what lake it is? Give your head a shake.

Offline 350 Mag

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Jan 23, 2020, 09:23 PM »
This guy thinks he can post a picture of sleds buried in slush and not expect real fisherman to question what lake it is? Give your head a shake.

Has ANYONE on here heard of Wildnest Lake?....that's WHY I didn't mention it ....there are no boat launches or roads....NOW IF I had been on a more popular lake I would have posted that?

What a bunch of whiny little b!tches .....worse than women!!!!

There are a 1000 lakes in Sask.

The post was not supposed to be "lake" specific?

It was a General Warning that there is slush on almost every lake up north?

Offline Scrunt

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Jan 23, 2020, 10:16 PM »
Sure have heard of it. I think you’ve been triggered. #lib

Offline 350 Mag

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Jan 24, 2020, 06:09 AM »
Sure have heard of it. I think you’ve been triggered. #lib

Well IF you go back and read the original post in this thread it was simply a general warning....from what I have seen and what I have heard?

Somehow this turned into " give me the g.p.s coordinate, so I can avoid the slush"???

Like I said I will never pass on ANYMORE info on lakes or fishing conditions.

You try to help people but all you get is a b!thing....I get enough of that from my wife....TYVM!

Offline 350 Mag

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Jan 24, 2020, 06:18 AM »

Stay Topside

You see this post????

Also a guy that said "in general" the lakes are covered in slush.

There might be pockets  on lakes that are clear of slush but it's warmed up to melting conditions today so it's only going to get worse from here out.

One of the babies on this thread got sand in his vag because I said." Leave the Fan cooled sleds at home"????

Here is a nice pic for him of a Voyageur

Wekusko Lake in Manitoba.

On Mikinagan lake a group of 5 all got stuck in slush and spent night in warm up shack.

They didn't have shovels, saws, tow ropes , spare belts etc etc.

Just trying to help and you get shat on so ya I am triggered.

Offline sandman66

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Jan 24, 2020, 07:56 AM »
Nobody asked for your valuable secret fishing spot - get over yourself.

Offline Lonestarsask

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #29 on: Jan 24, 2020, 08:05 AM »
This fight is most entertaining.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.