Author Topic: 3 days of Fishin'  (Read 811 times)

Offline Water Wolf

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice anglers walk on water.
3 days of Fishin'
« on: Feb 03, 2010, 04:41 PM »
Hi all,
Here is my adventures on 3 lakes in 3 days.

Day1. Last Mountain Lake.
A buddy my mom and I went fishing to LML on Sat. Jan. 31st.

Our destination was the North end at the Regional Park but when we got there, there was a 2 foot drift right across the lake entrance, darn. :-\ 

The only tracks on to the ice were from snow machines and there was no one fishing at all.

We decided to move farther South down the lake to try and get on at Arlington Beach. 

This area was even worse with a 4 foot snow bank blocking our path with no fishing in this area either. ::)

Time was running out and we decided to just walk out and see what we could find.

Mom opted to just watch from the truck.

It was quite hard walking but my buddy and I made it onto the ice and punched some holes in 6 to 10 feet of water.

An hour and a half before we left we got a hit on a set line, my buddy set the hook, but the fish was just starting to suck in the smelt and he pulled it out of the fish's mouth.
It must have been a burbot as there were no teeth marks on it.   

Fifteen min. later, my buddy get a good strike jigging and iced a chunky 6.6 lb burbot.

It may have been the culprit from before.

The fish came from  6 feet of water right in the middle of a thick weed bed.

This would be the only fish of the trip.

I saw only a few minnows, water insects, and a crayfish on camera all afternoon.

Day 2. Whitesand Lake.
My uncle, aunt, mom and I all set off for an afternoon of ice fishing on Whitesand lake on Sun.Feb.1st.

We were in luck as one kind person had cleared a path onto the ice.
If not, we would have been walking again.

Over the afternoon I saw 6 pike on camera.

We had 2 strikes, 1 miss and I iced one. :)

The pike was 3.6 lbs.

Day 3. Pasqua Lake.
This was my Birthday {Feb.2nd} so we all decided to go fishing again. This time at a new lake we have never fished before, Pasqua Lake.

We got to the lake but were unsure were to fish so we just found the first launch we could find, drove onto the lake and set up near some shacks at the East end.

As soon as I lowered the camera to the bottom I saw fish, yellow perch and lots of them. 8) 

Over the afternoon the perch were going by in schools of 2, 4, and 6 every 5 to 10 min.

Although they looked fairly negative, I did get a few to bite.

It seemed that they were the most aggressive when a school came in and there was a bit of competition.

The bite was so light that if I did not see it on the camera I may have missed it.

The strikes didn't even move the rod tip, just the line shook a little.

The perch were no giants, this was the largest at just a little over 7.5 inches.

We had one smelt stolen and had a sold strike on the other rod baited with smelt. 
The fish must have either cut the line on the edge of the hole or bit it off.
It may have either been a burbot or pike, what ever it was it felt quite heavy, definitely not a perch, lol. :woot:

We got some take out food and had a small party afterwards.

All in all it was an enjoyable 3 days with good friends, family, and even a few fish. ;D

WW

Offline shawno

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Team Saskatchewan
Re: 3 days of Fishin'
« Reply #1 on: Feb 03, 2010, 05:45 PM »
Sorry the fishin' wasn't better WW...but at least you got out!!

Happy belated B'day...we will look forward to your next round of adventures.

Have you considered going with us to LML in March any further??

Cheers,

shawno  8)

Offline Water Wolf

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice anglers walk on water.
Re: 3 days of Fishin'
« Reply #2 on: Feb 04, 2010, 04:54 PM »
Thanks shawno, yeah, I enjoy just being out in nature, for me the fish are a bonus. :)

I guess that why it's called fishing and not catching,lol. :woot:

WW

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.