Author Topic: New GPS  (Read 487 times)

Offline Exile

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Cooking a Litlle Venie
New GPS
« on: Jan 05, 2009, 04:29 PM »
Ok I'm looking to get a new GPS. So I need some help on picking one.

1.  I live in Northern Michigan ( The U.P.)
2.  Want it to be able to down load lakes (all great lakes included) that show deatil of the lakes
3.  See roads
4.  Be some what simple to use ( we are simple minded folk here) Just got running water yesterday :)
5.  Hand held
6.  Durable
7.  Price is a factor.
8.  I'm new to using a gps.

any help would be nice.  thanks.
Only in the U.P.  (You can take man out of the U.P. but can't take the U.P. out of the Man)

Offline SUBCATCHER

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • oh i sink so!
Re: New GPS
« Reply #1 on: Jan 05, 2009, 04:39 PM »
I think garmin makes a lakemaster gps. I remember seeing michigan on the list. You might want to search that out :)
If what comes around goes around is true.... Im coming back as a large shiner

Offline shrub

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The secret to fishing: Fish where the fish are!
« Reply #2 on: Jan 05, 2009, 05:39 PM »
I have an a Garmin Etrex Vista Chx that i bought in november. It is awsome.Very simple to figure out. The only problem is that you have to buy differnt maps for each application. I have The Topos loaded on mine. Sounds like you want the lakes maps and the citys and Streets. Look on Ebay I saved over $100 on mine. One word of advice is to get a model with an electronic compass. The electronic compass allows the compass to be used when the GPS is not moveing. With out it you have to be moving 1-2 mph for the compass to be working. Deffintly worth the extra money.

Betty and Lucey say "HI"!

Offline kdcon

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 05, 2009, 05:52 PM »
Have had a Magellan that was somewhat hard to use.  Friends of mine who are Foresters told me to go w/ Garmin as they said they are way easier to use. Went w/ Garmin  and I liked it much better than the Magellan right off, easier to use.  Don't much care for their software, maybe it has changed.  I would try the software before I bought it.  Hereis the site I have dealt w/ several times.  Good prices and service.   kdcon
http://www.thegpsstore.com/

Offline littlesturgeonguy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 05, 2009, 06:20 PM »
i think the lowrance h20 goes for 160 has a base map of the united states and shore lines and major highways. buy a lakemaster chip and your set, but the chips are area specific but then will show the local roads. it is also easy to use. check out the websites lowrance, garmin, lakemaster pro maps, navionics. looks at the specs. and base your decision on that. ps. the map chip is going to run like 100 at for lakemaster i am not sure about navionics, i do know the area i wanted navionics was more money and not as accurate. just my .02, all i can say is read read and read some more. if you know someone that has one borrow it and see how you like it.

Offline Vando45

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 05, 2009, 06:38 PM »
I have the Garmin Vista Hcx also. Great little GPS, does just about everything you need, including autorouting in your car if you get the City Navigator DVD. Like shrub said, check out eBay.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.