Author Topic: Camera, will it work?  (Read 1916 times)

Offline Catfish78

• Team IceShanty Regular
Camera, will it work?
« on: Aug 26, 2009, 03:03 AM »
I have dome some searching on the use of cameras and some love them and others, well not so much. My question to ya'll is what camera if any is good in "stained water"? Is there a definition for the amount of visibility and if a camera will be of any use? The lakes I fish are all stained. That means that I can see the bottom in 6' of water on a calm day from a boat or dock. Everything has that yellow/brown tint to it, like looking through a bottle of bourbon. Once ice is on and snow cover will I be able to see anything with a camera in say 10'-20'? The main reason I am looking to get a camera is for my little ones. Something they can look and see what is happening beneath them.

thanks for the help

Offline Catfish78

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Camera, will it work?
« Reply #1 on: Aug 31, 2009, 11:47 PM »
I am going to bump this. Just curious on what I would be able to see in stained water?

Thanks

Offline bigbucky1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Sep 01, 2009, 12:42 PM »
You  might only see a few feet w/camera but I have found in the winter time most stained water clears up some so you might be able to see further. 
<br />

Offline Catfish78

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Sep 02, 2009, 09:09 AM »
Thanks for your input bigbuck  ;)

Offline smitty0312

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Build A Smitty Sled.......it's a back & lung saver
« Reply #4 on: Sep 02, 2009, 10:34 AM »
I also believe stained/dirty water clears up some what in winter because there is no boats to stir up the water, so all/alot of the particles floating in water seem to settle to bottom making the water clearer. I just bought a camera myself and can't wait to try it this coming ice season. I fish the muddy Mississippi river backwaters and a local state park with stained water. Only my 2 cents worth. Smitty
[email protected] if you don't have a FB account.....or search "The Original Smitty Sled" on FB....thank you

Offline michianafisherman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pleasant Times At Pleasant Lake
« Reply #5 on: Sep 02, 2009, 12:37 PM »
A camera, used correctly, and with the right attitude will teach you more than most will admit. I have used a camera in bad water and you cannot see too far. But I can, if I, keep my bait about two foot from the lens. If you want to see perfect, you have to find better water, or stick with a Vex.
HELD HOSTAGE BY PHOTOBUCKET

Offline bigbucky1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Sep 02, 2009, 01:16 PM »
That is why I got my vex first then the camera.  The camera will tell ya what kind of fish you are seeing on the vex so you can adjust accordingly to the fish.
<br />

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #7 on: Sep 24, 2009, 06:07 AM »
I bought a camera a few years agoand found no water that was stained worked for me   I even added more lights to it   works great in my bait tank though   lol
I am a Veteran Not a Terrorist!

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Sep 24, 2009, 08:45 AM »
I bought a camera a few years agoand found no water that was stained worked for me   I even added more lights to it   works great in my bait tank though   lol
I don't believe you :P

This is way better than a bait tank ;D ;D ;D

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #9 on: Sep 24, 2009, 08:52 AM »
actually  I saw how thick the ice was  and 1 ft under the ice  then nothing till it hit bottom   then still maybe a foot
I am a Veteran Not a Terrorist!

Offline Gambler

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #10 on: Sep 24, 2009, 09:37 AM »
It may depend on the brand of camera, how well you can see in stained water.
I fish very stained lakes and most of the time I can only see 2 to 3 feet. But what that does for me is I am able to see the fishes reactions to my presentation and help me adjust accordingly.
Take Care and God Bless
Rick

Offline Pajns

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • YA JUST GOTTA LOVE IT!!!!
« Reply #11 on: Sep 24, 2009, 09:52 AM »
Since I don't have a GPS I use my camera to locate structure and brush piles.
NEVER lied about the size of the fish I caught.....just remember them being BIGGER!!

"There are those who look at things the way they are, and ask why, I dream of things that never were and ask why not"---RFK

Offline 1MOFISH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • The ice is always safe are you in ???????????????
« Reply #12 on: Sep 24, 2009, 10:08 AM »
i used my camera in a crystal clear trout lake i was so amazed on how good it worked that i almost didnt see the only flag of the day lol :o then i used it in a stained lake and the disappointment i shut it off. could tell structure though 1 foot range is hardly worth the effort thats why i fish shallow no need for electronics   mo
LOVE THE LORD YOUR GOD WITH ALL YOUR HEART AND SOUL AND STRENGTH and'LOVE THY NEiGHBOR AS THYSELF'   GOD

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Sep 24, 2009, 10:22 AM »
The picture of the Pike is in 30fow. The Gills are twenty 21 after a hatch of some sort. Low light is another reason for poor performance. I notice that when there is allot of snow cover visibility is less. Once you get familiar with the camera you know what to expect when you drop it down the hole. When it starts getting dark expect to wind the thing up and turn on the Vex.

Offline royjulius

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Top 5 Pike:14-5,15-5,15-10,17-0,18-4, 2B cont.
« Reply #14 on: Sep 24, 2009, 10:30 AM »
It may depend on the brand of camera, how well you can see in stained water.
I fish very stained lakes and most of the time I can only see 2 to 3 feet. But what that does for me is I am able to see the fishes reactions to my presentation and help me adjust accordingly.

Agreed. Use the vex to see if they're there. Then if you can't hook em, put the camera down there to see why. The hardest part in stained water is zeroing in on your lure. Once you find it, you will see the fish strike it. As for the kids watching, I guess it really depends on just how stained it is. The camera will always be useful for just fishing, if its not useful for the kids.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Sep 25, 2009, 05:39 AM »
The camera will always be useful for just fishing, if its not useful for the kids.
I must be a big kid :icefish:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.