Author Topic: Team Knucklehead hot dog derby  (Read 2319 times)

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Team Knucklehead hot dog derby
« on: Feb 12, 2023, 04:56 PM »
Well this was my 44th derby,and like many it will be memorable, not for the derby winning fish we caught,  not for the pile of "meat" we put on the ice, no, it was about what it should be good times with good friends.

We found enough safe ice to use the snow leopard  and the stealth  sled. But  I do not ever remember a year where the ice was/is so uneven in depth, we found anywhere fro 8 to 18"..
Opening day,we tucked away out of the wind, set the shorline,on points, drop offs and boulder fields. we set just under the ice near open water Frank put max effort into luring a rainbow out  of hiding, he had one that played with its food,  he employed plan B, but the little beast decided he'd had enough.and left for other parts. as the sun came up overhead we moved deeper and found a few yellows and whites, we braced for an afternoon bite that never happened.. Ray was the slime dart King, icing several( he caught the only fish today) one of the darts, took a ton of line, Frank's line untzngeling skills came into play( thanks Guinea)

Today we went all in on a shoal, big fish or  bust, we strategically set a everything from 4 to 13 FOW, IMHO it could not be covered better it was a virtual slalom course
. But Ray found the only players
..we laughed, gossiped like old ladies, covered everything from, dead presidents to my intense snake phobia, but most importantly  HOT DOGS - Brautz in a nod to my German heritage,  and the sacred RED SNAPPER..so in summary, it was everything the Rotary derby  should be good food, good friend and we all returned to our families safety.
 OH THANK YOU Frank for picking my sacred rechargeable  hat off of the road..I'd still be crying!

"A mans got to know his limitations"

Offline HuntnFish603

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If I can hunt it, or fish it....I'M THERE!
Re: Team Knucklehead hot dog derby
« Reply #1 on: Feb 12, 2023, 05:21 PM »
Team Knucklehead for the  WIN!!! :thumbsup:

Thats what it's all about my friend! It's always good times over at your camp. Who won for most snappers consumed?

Wished I coulda joined you guys. Soon enough. I dipped my toes in gently today though in preparation..lol
- In every walk with nature, every hunt, every fishing trip....one receives far more than he seeks.

Offline SALMONEMIA

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Feb 12, 2023, 05:26 PM »
Good times looks like you guys ate well.
Salmonemia

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Feb 12, 2023, 05:31 PM »

Thats what it's all about my friend! It's always good times over at your camp. Who won for most snappers consumed?

Wished I coulda joined you guys. Soon enough. I dipped my toes in gently today though in preparation..lol

I think it was a tie,there were 6, I think we each had 2, Frank wins the Natty light award,  and best dance act,he actually did a pretty funny ice/ brake dance rolling around the ice, I dont even remember  what caused it, but he was back on his feet before I could get my camera out of my suit. Dudes got the reflexes of a bob cat!

Ray got the slime dart hunter award as well as the  alcohol  abuse award for spilling  my beer, something to do with a creeper malfunction,  I ain't buyin' it,.. I did the cooking so I guess I get top chef by default.

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Feb 12, 2023, 05:35 PM »
I do get an dishonorable  mention for picking the worst kitchen/dining area, one slush pit in 200 square feet and I set up camp in it.

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Feb 12, 2023, 05:38 PM »

Would have loved to have ya!, looking  at the forecast, Saturday may be the end, it's just not worth the risk..you'll be strong as an ix for next season.

Offline HuntnFish603

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Feb 12, 2023, 05:44 PM »
I think it was a tie,there were 6, I think we each had 2, Frank wins the Natty light award,  and best dance act,he actually did a pretty funny ice/ brake dance rolling around the ice, I dont even remember  what caused it, but he was back on his feet before I could get my camera out of my suit. Dudes got the reflexes of a bob cat!

Coulda been the flamingo in him too
- In every walk with nature, every hunt, every fishing trip....one receives far more than he seeks.

Offline HuntnFish603

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Feb 12, 2023, 05:45 PM »
Would have loved to have ya!, looking  at the forecast, Saturday may be the end, it's just not worth the risk..you'll be strong as an ix for next season.
Yea its not great . But it ain't over. I'm just getting started..lol
"It's how you finish" right

Offline benny8

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Feb 12, 2023, 05:46 PM »
Sounds like good times!

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Feb 12, 2023, 05:47 PM »
Yea its not great . But it ain't over. I'm just getting started..lol
"It's how you finish" right
Absolutely.. bit awful warm temps all next week. I'll go as long as I can walk on.. I don't do planks.

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Feb 12, 2023, 05:48 PM »
Sounds like good times!

Always.

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #11 on: Feb 12, 2023, 09:18 PM »
Had a blast fellas!
You count your years by the Winters.

It’s not being Cocky if you can back it up.

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Feb 13, 2023, 03:41 AM »
Was a great weekend, I crashed hard yesterday afternoon... Sat down in my lazyboy around 5:00 and the next thing I know it's 1:00 in the morning lol... To me this is what derby is about, a bunch of ice time with good friends, good food, and good conversation with like minded folks. Already looking forward to next year.  Glad I took today off too, I'm going back to bed lol...
"May your lines be tight and never be tangled" (old Frankish Proverb)  Guinea 2021

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #13 on: Feb 13, 2023, 04:49 AM »
Was a great weekend, I crashed hard yesterday afternoon... Sat down in my lazyboy around 5:00 and the next thing I know it's 1:00 in the morning lol... To me this is what derby is about, a bunch of ice time with good friends, good food, and good conversation with like minded folks. Already looking forward to next year.  Glad I took today off too, I'm going back to bed lol...

Off to work I go, this sucks

Offline SHaRPS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #14 on: Feb 13, 2023, 05:39 AM »
Sounds like another epic camp, Joe. Congrats! Glad you guys had fun!
Just add water.

Offline meatandmetal

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Feb 13, 2023, 05:42 AM »
Looks like you guys had a good time. It isn't always about the fish. Sounds like a "Three Stooges" episode.

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Feb 13, 2023, 06:44 AM »
Looks like you guys had a good time. It isn't always about the fish. Sounds like a "Three Stooges" episode.

Frank diving for a downed beer was full on stooges but like Joe said, he was on his feet like a cat quicker than the camera lol
"May your lines be tight and never be tangled" (old Frankish Proverb)  Guinea 2021

Offline PoolGuy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hello my name is Bill and I'm an ice fisherman !!
« Reply #17 on: Feb 13, 2023, 06:48 AM »
Nice work Gents….Dogs and Beers and fishing :thumbsup:
I just want to go ice fishing and ignore my adult problems

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Feb 13, 2023, 06:50 AM »
This pic was for Guinea... someone was finally quick enough to get one of my nests on camera... Thanks to Frank for getting strait lol.

Offline Hottuna5150

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Feb 13, 2023, 06:54 AM »
Looks like a good time. Nicely done!
Perhaps I should not have been a fisherman, he thought. But that was the thing that I was born for.
-Ernest Hemingway

Offline DConICE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Feb 13, 2023, 07:37 AM »
Great way to spend a derby... and possibly (hopefully not) end a season.  I am with you Joe - no planks for me either...

Offline jigmaster5

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Feb 13, 2023, 09:54 AM »
Sounds like a good time was had by all & nobody went hungry!  That's a good weekend.   :tipup:

Weather was very nice, too (at least where I was).  I've fished some derby weekends that were less than pleasant.

More bitter cold would help fix the uneven ice, but I guess you can't have both on the same day.   ::)

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #22 on: Feb 13, 2023, 10:11 AM »
Way to go men.  Joe you'd think with all the eel touching, you'd love snakes.

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Feb 13, 2023, 10:39 AM »
Way to go men.  Joe you'd think with all the eel touching, you'd love snakes.

Ain't the same... I scream like Mcauley Calkin on home alone II when he sees the pigeon lady for the first time.

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #24 on: Feb 13, 2023, 10:57 AM »
Ain't the same... I scream like Mcauley Calkin on home alone II when he sees the pigeon lady for the first time.

Lmfao

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #25 on: Feb 13, 2023, 11:17 AM »

Made me laugh harder than the scene in the movie!

Offline HuntnFish603

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Feb 13, 2023, 03:19 PM »
The visual is priceless...lol

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Feb 13, 2023, 04:17 PM »
The visual is priceless...lol

Now for the rest of the story -
My wife mows the lawn, because" I dont do it right"

But she allows me to do the trimming,so I'm going along the fence..out comes the like 30 foot garter snake ( it was like 9" in reality) with the weed wacker running I run off screaming,  when I finally got away from the 50 foot beast, she wiped away the tears of laughter and said hey  foxhole, you do gave a weed wacker  in you hand..cue music wha wha wha!

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #28 on: Feb 13, 2023, 04:24 PM »
Lmfao!

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Feb 13, 2023, 04:37 PM »
This is what to do with white perch ( blood line and all)that font ho yo the board..dipped in beaten egg, rolled in Panko, baked 10 minutes the stuck under the broiler for 2.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.