Author Topic: Pactola Lake Trout  (Read 6138 times)

Offline royjulius

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Top 5 Pike:14-5,15-5,15-10,17-0,18-4, 2B cont.
Pactola Lake Trout
« on: Nov 18, 2011, 08:56 PM »
Man, I could sure use some tips on how to persue these critters. I've never targetted them, and I haven't ice fished Pactola much. I can whoop up on perch and pike just about anywhere, and I am never afraid to tell anyone anything I know about catching either one. Mostly, I guess I figure I know how to catch Lakers, but I don't know where to start lookin for em. Anybody got a good tip on a location at Pactola to start at? :tipup: :tipup: :tipup:

Offline appleye

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Pactola Lake Trout
« Reply #1 on: Nov 19, 2011, 02:52 AM »
There is some good info on the Pactola thread from the last couple of year. I fish on the east side by the dam/ highway. Start in 50' and out to as deep as 110'. Tube jigs with dead minnows close to the bottom and chase any fish off the bottom. I've watched another guy camp at the mouth of the north boat ramp and fish tipups with big minnows and he catches some big fish. I like flat spots on point and think that's were they feed .
I found some other spots this fall with the boat that should be good.

We will hook up once the ice forms and give it a shot.
Appleye
In the memory of "Team Lighting" Fish ON!
No one ever says,"Man that fish tastes small.
Thank you Lord for thinkin bout me. I'm alive and doin fine!!!!!!

Offline nbaker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Nov 19, 2011, 05:02 AM »
I wanna give lake trout a try this year too!  I'm going to watch this post for some pointers..

Offline TheRo0sTer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Nov 19, 2011, 05:44 PM »
I heard this guy --> knew something about catching lakers.

You can fish anywhere between 20-80ft of water. I learned they are more active in the early evening going into dark. This one was caught with about 30 mins of light left. That night we went our targeting big Lakers. Crappie minows and worms. I've seen my buddies land them with power bait as well.
Anthony

Offline Trout-slayer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Nov 19, 2011, 09:34 PM »
Nice fish Bedo!
There are two things in life you can't live without.  Fishing and women.  Well, atleast 1 thing in life you can't live without...

Offline Big Al 1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Nov 20, 2011, 04:20 PM »
I think I will try my had at catching a lake trout or two. I have never fished for them or even been on a late that has them. So i will be learning as I go. Is fishing for lake trout like fishing for browns or rainbows just deeper water and heavier gear?

Offline appleye

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Nov 20, 2011, 04:31 PM »
I don't think you need heavy gear. I use 6 to 8lb test fused line with a 10lb floro leader but mono works, it's just harder to get a good hook set deeper. I think the difference is the tackle a person uses. You can catch browns fishing for lakers and do just about every trip. I use smaller baits for rainbows. That being said on lakes where a person can use live minnows rainbows will hit right under the ice. Most of the time I use a tube jigs or a airplane jig and sometime a jigging rap. I tried spoons with only a few hits. Not to say they don't work because everytime I read something they talk about spoons. Day in and out tubes with dead salted minnows.

The other piece of equipment that's important is a graph of some sort to see the fishes reaction to jigging. I use longer rods with a ice rigger because I like the fight the longer rod  has, and use 4' to 5' ugly sticks.

Offline Big Al 1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Nov 21, 2011, 12:28 AM »
I have got a vexilar and most of my rods have braided line on them so the hook set is no problem. I have two 5' rods that i used spin fishing in small streams that should work. I think I have a couple airplane jigs and tubes too, i will have to dig through my tackle gives me a reason to re arrange it  :). normally do you set tip ups for lakers and chase perch and bass near by. or are lakers located in totally different part of the lake.

Offline TheRo0sTer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Nov 21, 2011, 07:50 AM »
You don't need heavy gear if you have your drag set correctly. That 36" Laker was caught on either 3 or 4lb test cajun red with a 24" perch rod. My favorite lure for lakers with a minnow is the one below. I own 3 or 4 in different colors. I use the same one for rainbows and perch as well.

I think the key is just targeting them when they are active. If you are using a sonar you can tell a laker from a bow because they bust out from the bottom and attack. If you are in a good Laker area, they will come up and smack your jig on the way down.
Anthony

Offline wyoutdoors

• Iceshanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Nov 21, 2011, 10:52 PM »
Man, I could sure use some tips on how to persue these critters. I've never targetted them, and I haven't ice fished Pactola much. I can whoop up on perch and pike just about anywhere, and I am never afraid to tell anyone anything I know about catching either one. Mostly, I guess I figure I know how to catch Lakers, but I don't know where to start lookin for em. Anybody got a good tip on a location at Pactola to start at? :tipup: :tipup: :tipup:
X Confirmed

Met royjuilius a few weeks ago in Cabela's and he was as unselfish in person as he comes across on the forums. Could have visited with him for hours but had to let him go as he had other commitments that day. Nice to meet you Roy and hope to see you on Pactola in the next month or so!

Offline royjulius

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Nov 22, 2011, 10:27 AM »
Hey thanks alot for the kind words dude. It was a pleasure meeting you also. I see you changed your screen name. We'll have to all meet up on Pactola and try to figure these critters out. It looks like Anthony and Appleye  have a handle on it, and thanks guys for your openness with your tips. Lookin forward to eating some lake trout this winter!!!!!!!!!!!! :tipup: :tipup: :tipup:

I'm gonna try to get out this Saturday, but don't know where yet.

Offline Big Al 1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Nov 22, 2011, 04:58 PM »
Roy, how much ice is on pactola? Give us an update on your trip up there.

Offline appleye

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Nov 22, 2011, 10:08 PM »
Drove by Pactola Monday no ice to be found. From years  Jan. 1 has been the day. Maybe the west end sooner. I checked several lake Custer was capped but looks slushy. On a high note did see three big horn sheep rams and a bunch of ewes near Hill City.  Very cool and of course no camera.

Offline TheRo0sTer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Nov 23, 2011, 07:51 AM »
I know by mid Dec I've been on ice back in the one of the Gulches on Pactola. I know a lot of people start hitting Jenny Gulch pretty early. Now main body of water, mid to late Dec at best as far as my memory serves. Good news is I can do some fly fishing this week-end if I want. :)
Anthony

Offline royjulius

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Nov 23, 2011, 10:23 AM »
I prolly won't hit Pactola main lake til January. Just want the ice to be good. But I will hit the bays in mid Dec. I don't know where I'm going this weekend, just gonna scout around and fish wherever it looks safe. :tipup: :tipup: :tipup:

Offline Big Al 1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Nov 23, 2011, 12:58 PM »
Take pics for all of us that wont be lucky enough to get on the hard water. Good luck and be safe on that early ice Roy.

Offline jgouldin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Nov 30, 2011, 08:20 PM »
I do not know much about lake trout but I did start ice fishing them last winter and i am hooked for life.  The best time I found to catch them was first thing in the morning.  Am going to give them more time this year to try to get some big ones!
Gouldin

Offline Fillet

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Nov 30, 2011, 09:29 PM »
I am sure most of you guys have seen this before. It has become a winter classic for me the last couple of years. I personally couldn't battle and catch something like that without a curse word or two, props to this guy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3XADHOd7jD8

I hope I can get my shot at one of these beauties out of Pactola one of these years!

Offline TheRo0sTer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Dec 04, 2011, 02:38 PM »
Wow! :o I didn't see them measure it or give any specs. I'd say pushing 50" Can't really tell from the shots, but that was a Moose!
Anthony

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.