Author Topic: handheld depth finders  (Read 1644 times)

Offline cityfishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
handheld depth finders
« on: Dec 16, 2003, 04:10 PM »
Has anyone had any experience with handheld units? I've been looking to pick one up, but I'd like to know the difference between them. What do you get with a 120 dollar one that you don't get with a 45 dollar one? I just want to use it for checking depth before I drill. I don't just want to keep drilling holes if I don't have to. I have an old flasher and I've tried to use that, but just get wild readings. Any hints or insight?

Offline LoneWolf

• Tournaments/Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Fanatic! >))))>
Re:handheld depth finders
« Reply #1 on: Dec 16, 2003, 04:40 PM »
The handhelds aren't going to do anything different than a flasher except for the convenience of the smaller size. If the ice is mottled you will have a hard time getting a reading with either. If the ice is clear all you have to do is put some water on the ice and put the transducer (from either handheld or flasher) on it. A trick I use is to keep a squeeze bottle full of saltwater in my Guide. The salt helps keep the bottle from freezing. I've had the Polar Vision for a few seasons and it works fine - as long as the ice isn't mottled.
As for the price difference usually it's the features. Does it turn off after a period to save the battery? How much power consumption? Does it mark fish? Another reason for price difference is after any electronics have been out for a while the price usually lowers with the introduction of new electronics.
Those who are brave are free ..

Offline cityfishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #2 on: Dec 17, 2003, 12:14 AM »
You are correct about the mottling of the ice. It wasn't very clear. I'll give it another go on something clearer. Thanks for the tip on the ice water that's better than using isopropyl and water. I thought about something I could try also. How about a plastic ziploc bag with a little water in it? It would form a pretty good seal with the ice and the transducer and I could move it easily as long as it doesn't puncture too easy. I'll try it and let you know. Otherwise, I may try to pick up a handheld on clearance. thanks

Offline Iceshanty

• Admin
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Unwilling to leave the fish I have not caught yet
« Reply #3 on: Dec 17, 2003, 07:13 AM »
What's cooler than being cool? Ice cold

´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((((º>                                
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><(((º> 
´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><(((((((((º>

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor