Author Topic: waited too long, no guide for Feb 22-23 on Erie, is it worth walking out?  (Read 2721 times)

Offline biotroller

• IceShanty Rookie
I live about 6hrs away & would like to fish Feb 22 & 23 with my 10 yo son.  I waited too long to book a guide, can't find any openings.  I have everything but transport, would we have a shot at some eyes walking out?  I was thinking about walking out from Catawba or Crane creek.  Any recomendations are appreciated!

Offline Colonel Forbin

• IceShanty Rookie
Check OGF lots of good walker reports from the last week. Give it a shot!

Offline frozenguy

• IceShanty Rookie
I met several people yesterday that had a limit or close and only walked a mile and a half.  We went four miles and we got five between us.  lots of lookers but wouldn't bite and lost a few.

Offline jugghead

• Team IceShanty Regular
Most walkers are going 1 1/2 to 3 1/2 miles , out of both places.
If you're fiscally able you should get in some in that range if you find them.
No guarantees!
Good Luck

Offline buck05

• Team IceShanty Regular
I was set up by walkers last sat 1.7 off shore and they had fish but next weeks forcast is not good for anyone trying to get out.

Offline buck05

• Team IceShanty Regular
If u could change your trip to this weekend u will be in good shape. I had my 8 year old out last weekend and he had a great time.  Good luck :tipup:

Offline Lipripper88

• Team IceShanty Regular
The other weekend we walked out 4 miles but that was befor the snow. Last weekend had the snowmobile. Been going off crane it all depends how much u wana walk

Offline Duuber

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Live to Fish; Fish to Live
Walking form Catawba will be shorter than Crane.
There is a lot of snow on the ice and the weekend that you
are looking forward to is forcasted to be in the 40's Saturday to 50's by Sunday, which in
early morning won't be bad walking out but coming back in would be a real trudge in.

Offline biotroller

• IceShanty Rookie
I appreciate the insight! 

Offline Reel_Magic

• IceShanty Rookie
  • First one out Last one back!!!!
call Blake Calvert 419-341-5509 he will hook you  up have fun

Offline Captainhook

• IceShanty Rookie
Where does Blake Calvert fish out of??

Offline pole_smoker

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane!!!!!!!
6 hour dtive ....I would wait and hope for a re-freeze. Gonna be a huge mess next weekend.

Offline CHARK

• IceShanty Rookie
The mess will be behind us by then and the snow that is making it hard to go now will not be there.  It will be much improved this coming weekend.  It happened during the last thaw also. Only thing you will need too watch is cracks as they may open some but if you are walking, you will be fine.

Offline spud1035

• IceShanty Rookie
Not worth walking out, fish are way out, 9 to 11 miles, from Crane Creek.  Ice is good though, only one small crack that got smaller later in the day.  good luck. 

Offline Erieguy1

• IceShanty Rookie
5 man limit today at 3.6 miles out . Dont  need to go 9 out ,Just need to get away from the crowd  at either  place . Picked up 13 very nice perch as well .

Dale

Offline pdnaz

• IceShanty Rookie
Hey Dale,
was that out of Crane?

Offline spud1035

• IceShanty Rookie
About 4 miles out yesterday, only one. no wheels and not too mobile, will have to do something about that.  No crowds yesterday with that wind, howling pretty good out there.  Glad too here ya did good in a closer. Did good last Wednesday but that was out 7 miles.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.