New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Soft Ice!  (Read 821 times)

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Soft Ice!
« on: Dec 26, 2005, 08:37 AM »
Think it is safe to assume the conditions have taken a turn for the worse.
All day sunday it rained here in Monticello and stayed around 34 degrees.
When I woke this morning it is still solid rain and 37.
Watched the weeks weather outlook and more sad news is comming all week long!

On friday there was a solid 6" of ice on Big Pond and the bottom 4" was great black ice. I feared this warm up and now it is here so I would suggest you be mighty careful out there in the near future.

One of the bright sides to all of this is that the ice tends to set up very quickly after a warm up and as soon as the temps get down again.

On a very different note, for early (First) ice, here in my neck of the woods the bite has been almost non existant! I spent a total of almost 40 hours out there so far and have not yet got into a good trout. Fished early, fished late, fished mid day and all night and not much action at all.
In years past, first ice has always been the best time to hammer the browns. In speaking with others who have gone, only one set of guys have hit a decent day so far and caught 3 nice browns, all 3 in a period of less then a half hour. Apparently the fish turned on and off for a brief moment and that was it for the rest of that day.
Strange conditions for sure. Big Pond is always slow fishing and almost always the same way with the fish turning on and off for brief moments. A flag is usually followed by a few others and then it is over again for a long dry spell. In all my years fishing this pond I have never had a steady bite throughout the day and have spent many hours on top of the ice wondering what it is that rings the dinner bell under and what causes it to shut off just as quickly.
Do any of you others who fish specifically for trout in trout waters have similar conditions.
This is not a big lake so you can see all the crews fishing at any given time. You can also see when the action is going on and it appears to be a lake wide event as if the dinner bell actually did ring. Whats your thoughts??? Anyone else run into these conditions?
All I know for sure is when I arrive and talk with others who had been there for a while, if one group has a fish or two, usually everyone does and they all came around the same time. If it has been dead, it is usually dead for all.

Gary
If I agreed with you we would both be wrong!

Offline Cook078

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Good Fishing
Re: Soft Ice!
« Reply #1 on: Dec 26, 2005, 08:55 AM »

I have not been trout fishing yet this year, but the fishing I have done has been excrusiating SLOW....But I dont think its so much that the fish arent biting, but we cant find em!!

Mike
have a CRAPPIE day!!

Offline scott14580

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Pigs get fat, hogs get slaughtered
Re: Soft Ice!
« Reply #2 on: Dec 26, 2005, 09:01 AM »
 Between Braddocks Bay and Iron. Bay  the early ice so far has been all small perch. Usually first ice has some of the biggest. The pike on Braddocks have seemed to be preety active though. Hopefully the next ice up will be different. I have a feeling it will.
 Good luck,Scott

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.