The ice fishing Michigan board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: Sweaty feet  (Read 3119 times)

Offline Doeslayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Sweaty feet
« on: Dec 15, 2019, 07:14 PM »
How do you deal with it.... Its my biggest enemy on the ice... If it wasnt for sweaty feet i could stay a lot longer but sweaty feet get cold.... No matter how good your boots are....
Catch and release, into the grease!
"gotta be somebody needs some killin" ~ Major Payne

Offline Bucket Rump

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Sweaty feet
« Reply #1 on: Dec 15, 2019, 07:21 PM »
I don't put my boots on until I am ready to go out on the ice and I change my socks then, too.  I wear one pair of thin wool blend socks that help wick away moisture and have had pretty good luck thus far. Have been wearing Lacrosse Ice Kings the past few years.

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Dec 15, 2019, 07:22 PM »
Cabelas snow runner pack boots are breathable like breathable waders same type fabraic used to make them the predator boots are good too.. but you got to keep the membrane working right after use I use a Peet shoe drier to dry mine over a heated vent for the ac system min I got 2 to3 years ago and stI'll going strong ware them 3 days in a row fishing hard as I can 72 hours straight with no sock changes last week end left sone funky sock feet but did not smell.. the cabelas breath able boots are yhe way go if you ask me had kamik boot wold change socks every 6 hrs to keep my feet dry now a pair of wool socks a weekend and I am good..

Offline Toph19

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Dec 15, 2019, 07:24 PM »
Ive had great luck with Dickies all season wool socks. Unfortunately they have become hard to find. Amazon still has them if you do some digging. My feet sweat with any socks that have high levels of synthetic materials so i look for the highest wool or cotton content i can find.

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #4 on: Dec 15, 2019, 07:50 PM »
Spray your feet with an anti-perspirant and wear moisture wicking socks.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #5 on: Dec 16, 2019, 11:03 AM »

Been doin' this for decades. Sure unscented. A quick spritz on the soles and tops of the toes before the liners and it's all good. Never used to have sweaty feet then all of a sudden I'm walkin' in little swimming pools. Rubber boots make it worse too hence no Mickeys, Mucks or similar. A shot of AP, light sock liner, wool sock and plenty of room to move your toes and you've won most of the battle.

No, I'm not turning this into a boot discussion except for the "rubber makes (sweaty) things worse" part.
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline 3300

• Iceshanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #6 on: Dec 16, 2019, 12:35 PM »
was trying on boots at a retailers and the sales lady explained that our feet have one of the biggest sweat glands in our body.

Offline MichiganMan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 16, 2019, 12:53 PM »
One thing that's helped me a lot is putting underarm antiperspirant on my feet. Then polypropylene liner and  marino wool socks. I'm 70 yrs old and feet get cold easy.
It's more important to be nice, than it is nice to be important.

Offline bearnoob

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 16, 2019, 01:12 PM »
I have the same problem. Yesterday was my first test run with Mr. Warm heated insoles (early Xmas gift from the wife). When my feet started getting cold, I turned them on low, then I forgot about them for the rest of the day. I am so used to my feet being cold that I assumed they would be when I pulled off my boots. Pleasantly surprised to find that my feet were wet but toasty.
Hardwater fisherman since 2014. All opinions subject to change as experience increases.

Offline FingerLaker607

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Dec 16, 2019, 01:15 PM »
High quality wicking liners, Merino wool and a good pair of insulated boots. Never had an issue, and I move around like crazy

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Dec 16, 2019, 01:20 PM »
I have a Canadian military nylon mesh insoles under my Sorel liner that creates an airgap between the felt liner and the boot and keeps things MUCH drier.

They are getting tough to find.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/273489023792
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #11 on: Dec 16, 2019, 01:24 PM »
Ensure you have zero cotton in your socks.  That's a great first step. 

Offline RyanW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Dec 16, 2019, 01:27 PM »
Aerosol antiperspirant then a lightweight thermal liner inside a heavyweight wool sock. I wear muck arctic pros and my feet stay dry and warm. I have about 3-4 pairs of each sock so I can rotate them out after each use. A boot dryer also helps tremendously to keep the inside of your boots dry. If the inside of your boots are already wet from sweat or snow, no amount of sock or spray will keep them dry or warm. Keeping room for air exchange within your boots when your wearing them is also key. You don’t want your socks or boots too tight or too lose. That’s why I like heavyweight wool, it creates a nice air layer while the thermal liner provides warmth and moisture wicking.
“When the fish are biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using. When the fish aren’t biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using” - Uncle Dave

Offline BLUJBURD

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish...Fish...Fish
« Reply #13 on: Dec 16, 2019, 02:27 PM »
Look into light/med weight hiking socks. Wool, synthetic blends Alpaca etc.. If you got well insulated boots then let the boot do its job. That's how I got around it by downgrading my sock. I get up and hole hop if I notice my toes getting chilled too, not waiting till they're cold. Just moving every so often makes a difference.
I have a BS in Narrative Fishing History.

Offline Doeslayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Dec 16, 2019, 04:45 PM »
Lotta good info here guys.... Thanks i really appreciate it... Ill pick up some unscented anti perspirant and give that a try.... I cant get rid of the rubber boots because where i go i need them... Actually going to upgrade to a pair of hip waders for my new spot i found this year its about 400 yards in and there is 3 swamps to cross....
..... This guy is in there and i want him
Catch and release, into the grease!
"gotta be somebody needs some killin" ~ Major Payne

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Dec 16, 2019, 08:26 PM »
Check this place out you get hip waders you can use some liners in them and some socks from this place I have a liner jacket good for -25*f the one I have is actually have 2x of them..

https://www.refrigiwear.com/category/work-boots-cold-footwear

Some days I stay out if shanty it like driving threw the Sarah desert with the heat on instead of the ac.. I fish in big groups if you ever wonder how we do it refrigiware is how.

Offline Papawsmith

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Dec 18, 2019, 10:55 AM »
I have the same issue and can never wear rubber boots in the cold or anything with more than 400 gr Thinsulate, no matter how cold, or my feet get soaked. Sounds goofy but the very best way I have found to keep warm and dry is I wear a pair of my wife's knee high nylons, then a pair of moderate weight wool socks over them. If I'm walking and/or fishing in a shack I wear only non-insulated hiking boots and if I'm bucket sitting I wear 400 gr Thinsulate boots and never have any problems.

Offline redenz

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Dec 20, 2019, 07:40 AM »
I have the same problem. Going to try Alpaca socks this year.

Offline musky8it

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Dec 20, 2019, 09:32 PM »
I carry a small pc of shag carpet, even when Im in the shanty I use it

make sure you have air between feet and boot, room to move feet. In other words boots to big for you feet.

Never tried deordorant but sounds like it would help.

FRANK SINATRA, The Hangover Survival Guide

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day."

Offline wingfan87

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Jan 12, 2020, 09:47 PM »
Can't say my feet never get cold but, this has helped me stay on stand and on the ice longer.
First.... a thin pair of cotton ankle socks.
Second...... wool socks. Wool.... not the polyester blends.
Third.... a pair of calf high cotton socks over the wool socks.

Keep in mind my feet sweat. But the wool socks wick the sweat out of the ankle socks, and the cotton socks on the outside absorb the moisture from the wool socks and hold it away from my feet.

This is what works for me.

I've also heard of the antiperspirant trick too.

Offline michianafisherman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pleasant Times At Pleasant Lake
« Reply #20 on: Jan 13, 2020, 05:30 AM »
I was always the first to complain about cold feet.
I tried all the ways listed from the other posts.
Nothing worked for me.
I wear white tube socks everyday at work and have no issues with wet sweaty feet in 6inch work boots.
I bought the warmest boots I could find, rated at -148.  (Baffin Impact)
I can stay out all weekend without going back to shore.
Feels like I'm still in bed with my feet under the covers even if I'm sitting on a bucket.
All I can say if you want warm feet and want to fish longer, try some.
Also I wear the same old white tube socks.

I do have to loosen the top draw strap because my legs get hot at the top of the boot when I'm sitting.
The boots are fast to put on or take off. 
These boots changed my fishing! I have to come up with new reasons to stop fishing, mostly the wife asking, "when I'm coming home?".

HELD HOSTAGE BY PHOTOBUCKET

Offline Jigmup

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Jan 13, 2020, 08:57 AM »
Spend the money for an excellent pair of wool socks. Not your run of the mill Dick's wool. I mean a good $40 pair.  I'm wearing a smartwool thin base under a pair of Scandia wool.
Never tell a fish where its supposed to be

Offline RoeBoat

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Jan 13, 2020, 09:58 AM »
^^^what he said.   Good merino wool socks!  Might as well get the long underwear while you're at it.

Offline Salmonquest

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "I once killed a gopher with a stick"
« Reply #23 on: Jan 13, 2020, 10:38 AM »
https://www.amazon.com/s?k=compression+socks

try these. You can also get compression socks at pharmacy or any box store pharmacy section.

Try wearing them solo. If you still get cold put wool socks over. These increase circulation.

Also I rarely tighten my boots and sometimes leave them unlaced. I like air to circulate if possible. (I put my bibs over the top of the uppers)

Offline Tip Up Spy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Jan 13, 2020, 03:48 PM »
sock liners
They have many different materials. I like the silk, just keep your toe nails short. Pair those with a Merino wool sock and it should keep you dry.
My favorite type of fish is the red line on my Vaxilar -Dave Genz

Offline jschragg

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Jan 13, 2020, 04:42 PM »

Never thought of trying this, but i will be this winter!!! great tip
Keep your stick on the ice

Offline michianafisherman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pleasant Times At Pleasant Lake
« Reply #26 on: Jan 14, 2020, 05:45 AM »
I did try expensive socks, and if I added up all of the socks I bought over the years that got lost in the laundry.
You get the idea? My socks seam to be hard to keep track of when wife doesn't know how much I paid for em.
Maybe if she knew she would, but then again the dog carries one away and chews a hole in the end?
So lets say I buy two pair of 40$ socks? Over 80$ with some tax.
Then I can use some not so good boots and somehow make them better?
Wouldn't it be best that if you want a car with a V8 to buy it that way? Instead of buying a 4 banger and swapping the engine?
Oh sure, the car would be cool, and no-one would ever suspect how fast the car was, but try to stop with a car designed for a smaller engine.
I understand how as men we only have so much money and try to make the best decisions. A pair of Mickey boots will do the trick, or just some old
Muck boots. But think about how many times you stopped fishing because your feet were cold? If this never happened, GREAT!
It has happened to me so many times I couldn't stand it. I tried putting on the same kind of socks as others, the same boots, all the same, and somehow they could fish longer than me. That's when I got the better boots and haven't had a problem since.
I am just trying to help any one with cold feet to fish more comfortable.
If you don't get cold feet I'm soryy about my ramblings! Be safe and warm! Rick

P.S. I hate tooth aches too!
HELD HOSTAGE BY PHOTOBUCKET

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #27 on: Jan 14, 2020, 06:25 AM »
I've been playing around with different combinations throughout the years...different socks, different boots, etc., etc. I finally settled on one that works for me:

*1 pair cotton athletic socks ( I know, I know).
*1 pair of woolies...unknown brand
*Bogs Bozemans...rated at -70*...1 size larger than normal.

Ok...why cotton? 1) Much more comfy on the feet than poly liners 2) White creates less heat than dark/black meaning less sweat...what I've been told.

Now, as others have said, no woolies or boots to and from lake. Also, when walking out I unzip EVERYTHING...jacket, bibs, etc. Won't even wear the mittens or hat if it's not too cold. Being all bundled up, pulling sled and carrying gear only creates more heat...and heat in the body creates sweat everywhere...even the feet. So two things can happen: If you're a "sweater" in the first place, you'll probably continue to sweat. If you're not, then the sweat turns cold...and so do you. Trying to stay "neutral" to your destination is the key. Works for me anyway.

"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #28 on: Jan 14, 2020, 06:43 AM »
Last season I started wearing some Dollar Tree ..thin poly dress socks ..jury still out if they are the solution ..they keep my feet "cool" but not wet ..I also wear a Clam Merino wool sock in a pair of Muck Arctic Sport.. I had other sock  liners but they were thicker and tight overall with a lot less wiggle room ..I use a spray antiperspirant too.
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.