Author Topic: lakers  (Read 4708 times)

Offline JigStick

• IceShanty Rookie
lakers
« on: Mar 06, 2008, 08:45 AM »
been fishing quiet a few years for lake rs and figure jigging up 1or2 fish a day was not a bad day bought a  camera last year could not believe how many fish would come to the bucktail jig or the pimple and not hit it is there another lure or tech out there that would make jigging a little more successful don't get me wrong 1 fish in a day IAM happy just looking for tips  great site good luck fishing

Offline rob-s

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: lakers
« Reply #1 on: Mar 06, 2008, 09:32 AM »
are you bouncing your jig on the bottom?  cut bait may help

Offline lotwfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Mar 06, 2008, 10:01 AM »
All I can say is keep changing your tackle, size, color, whether its a vertical jig or horizontal jig etc.

Offline tightline3

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Personal Best Perch-1lb.5oz.-14"-2/22/10
« Reply #3 on: Mar 06, 2008, 10:33 AM »
Try going a bit on the stelth side of fishing. For example do not use any terminal tackle when tying on lures.No clips or swivels.Tying right to the lure can often be the difference between 2 fish or 12 fish. Size down your line test. If your using 17lb go to 12 or even 8lb test. Add scent and cut bait,Lakers use their nose to find food. Fish slower. Good Luck

Offline BottomDweller

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Wyoming
« Reply #4 on: Mar 06, 2008, 11:51 AM »
tie directly to your jig, but put a barrel-swivel about 2 feet up your line to prevent line twist while jigging.  this will also keep the twist out and help you fight the big fish.  and, ummm, try a tube jig, mate.  put some sucker meat on the back of it and voila, you should be just fine.  especially with an underwater camera: you should be able to switch your presentation around and watch the fish react to the changes.

Offline gcrossman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Mar 06, 2008, 12:35 PM »
Scent is Key!!! Gulp! Power Baits!

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #6 on: Mar 06, 2008, 01:05 PM »
We had one of the fishing show guys a number of years back that came to do a show on Great Bear Lake run a camera off a downrigger the whole week. Every night he would come back to the lodge and show the days video. For every fish that struck there were dozens that followed or bluff a strike. It was amazing to see several fish all following at the same time, all taking turns to rush in and have a look at the lure.
I am waiting on the arrival of a camera now as my trip 2 weeks ago was pretty frustrating having tons of fish under all of my holes but no takers. I need to know if they are indeed lakers and what their reaction to my presentation is.

Offline DannyDiablo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Mar 06, 2008, 10:12 PM »

Offline BottomDweller

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Wyoming
« Reply #8 on: Mar 07, 2008, 07:42 AM »
dis is da fish danny diablo was attempting to post..  dd, you need to use the "direct link" address of the picture instead of the "embed" option, and then put the {img} bracketing around that address, so it'll look something like this: [imgX]http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii23/crayone1/Pics024.jpg[/img]

Offline BottomDweller

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Wyoming
« Reply #9 on: Mar 07, 2008, 07:45 AM »
nice laker

Offline gcrossman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Mar 07, 2008, 12:46 PM »
Awesome Fish...Any bait/scent on that pimple?

Offline miket.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • ICE IS NICE
« Reply #11 on: Mar 07, 2008, 06:08 PM »
try switching baits- meallies, waxies, maggots, spikes,mousies wich are my favorite.once you find what there eating that day , stick with it.also try adjusting your depths, you might not quite be in there zone.
hard core fanatic  Http:
http://timeanddate.com/s/1a9j

Offline sightfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • There's a method to my madness!
« Reply #12 on: Mar 07, 2008, 11:52 PM »
been fishing quiet a few years for lake rs and figure jigging up 1or2 fish a day was not a bad day bought a  camera last year could not believe how many fish would come to the bucktail jig or the pimple and not hit it is there another lure or tech out there that would make jigging a little more successful don't get me wrong 1 fish in a day IAM happy just looking for tips  great site good luck fishing
Live smelt. Can't say it enough.
"Oh honey don't worry ice fishing season is almost over"     Oh Yeah, then we got steelhead, then bass, then big lake salmon, then fall river salmon........etc.
 "As fish go through the water colume, so do the days of our lives".

Offline icontact

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Dec 07, 2008, 12:58 PM »
We are usually fishing fairly deep hear for lakers about 120' ft or so. On some days you can't beat dropping the jig right to the bottom and then reeling it up about 10-15 ft at at time, let it sit for a bit, then another 10-15 ft up let it sit, and so on right up the surface. If you are using a flasher you will see them come right off the bottom after it sometime, if you do keep reeling, believe me they catch it easily.
I gotta chubby

Offline GAMBELL

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 41" PIKE 2005!
« Reply #14 on: Jan 28, 2009, 07:14 PM »
When the lakers are chasing, keep reeling up and most of the time they will hit it. 

Offline buckclub

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Jan 29, 2009, 08:29 AM »
Hello,
 just some trout questions,
When I am using smelt or other live bait, in the summer time I like to drop it to the bottom, keep the bail open. let them run once, then turn them on the stop.  It has worked well.  I would relate this to tip up fishing, although I don't have any right now, hope to get some soon or go with friends til then.
  am going to target lake trout but whats your procedure for once the flag trips?  Do you guys set the hook on the run or wait for the run to stop? 

I am also going to be jigging, and want to take advantage of my other hand line so I will probably try to put that with live bait within eye sight of my jigging rod.  mabey put a light rubber band on the line.   

whats your thoughts on this set up?  (with five tip ups- any recomendations?)

Offline venom

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • On Ah Fish "N" Mission
« Reply #16 on: Jan 29, 2009, 07:41 PM »
 When I fish lake trout here I'm fishing deep water 130 to 300ftow so I never use tip ups. For jig or if one's useing a tip up I would never let them run with a bait the second it bumps it I'm bringing the hook home. Lakers can hit your bait like a freight train or as soft as a minnow and spit the hook just as fast. If I am marking alot of fish and cant get them to take off I start changeing colors first, than sizes, if no takers yet I out right change the style of jig from cut bait rig to a bucktail or pimple,butterfly spoon with small strips of meat.

yeaboy

« Reply #17 on: Mar 03, 2009, 09:14 PM »
make them chase it, reel it up fast they will hit it one of the times if not on the fall back down they will get it

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.