Author Topic: Do trout get the benz?  (Read 1706 times)

Offline fishuhalik

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Do trout get the benz?
« on: Dec 13, 2005, 07:52 PM »
I've never fished for trout, but when I hear of guys pulling in lakers from 150 fow, I can't help but think they suffer from the benz.  Is this a problem at all?

Always wear clean underwear, cuz ya never know when the paramedics are gonna have to cut your pants off.

Offline Pasquatch

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Do trout get the benz?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 13, 2005, 07:59 PM »
Lakers do not get the bends, and yes, they do tend to "burp" up bubbles. It is safe to bring up lakers from deep water if you don't rip them up...

Offline fishuhalik

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Dec 13, 2005, 08:45 PM »
Man you guys rock.  Any time I have a question, 50 of you have an answer.  One more question for ya.  Why is it that trout seem to bleed so much in so many of the pics?  Hardly any of my eyes, pike, pans, etc. bleed.

Always wear clean underwear, cuz ya never know when the paramedics are gonna have to cut your pants off.

Offline iceintheveins

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If you won't fight for freedom, your not American!
« Reply #3 on: Dec 13, 2005, 10:03 PM »
Salmonids have a special duct that is very unique and allows them to control the amount of air in their swim bladders. They are also very strong swimmers so they can dive back into the depths easily.
Walleyes, perch, and especially crappies are vulnerable to mortality when caught from deep water because they cannot control the amount of air in the swim bladders. It's common to catch these fish from water over 25 feet that have blown their bladders into their throats.
Politically incorrect, and proud of it.

grumpymoe

« Reply #4 on: Dec 13, 2005, 10:19 PM »
here's wishing some kind of bladder blogs up a bladder of some sort....Grump

Offline donmac

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Lakes Region, NH
« Reply #5 on: Dec 14, 2005, 05:41 AM »
I've never fished for trout, but when I hear of guys pulling in lakers from 150 fow, I can't help but think they suffer from the benz.  Is this a problem at all?

They don't get the bends, but it can be a problem for them.

Fish don't get the bends... Scuba divers breath in a good deal of Nitrogen and quick ascents cause the Nitrogen in their blood stream to form into bubbles and that wreaks havoc with the body.  This is called decompression illness, or 'the bends' due to symptoms of not being able to move very well.  (I'm looking into getting into scuba at insistence of my 17yr old son.)

As pointed out earlier in this thread, fish control their depth with an air bladder and use more pressure at lower depths. When they ascend too rapidly they cannot control the bladder and it expands beyond normal.  Some fisherman will bleed the bladder of some species with a pin when practicing catch and release.

Trout do not have the bony mouths like many other species and hooks often penetrate into fleshy areas, that bleed...

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.