New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Bait-mousees  (Read 6164 times)

Offline jiggingshad11

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
Bait-mousees
« on: Dec 14, 2010, 10:30 AM »
Anybody having trouble getting bait???  wholesaler said no mousee's, all gone.  $40  a thousand.  

Offline bluegillbasher

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Bait-mousees
« Reply #1 on: Dec 14, 2010, 10:57 AM »
Just ordered bait for my shop and the wholesaler said no mousees for the season.Said something about it being to wet this fall and the pick was very small.He said guys may find a small supply of mousees here and there but its gonna take alot of callin to find them and there won't be many if you DO find any.Off to a great start already!

Offline fishinfurkarma

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 14, 2010, 10:58 AM »
my shop said the same.. he bought up the only 5,000 he could find....$4/50!

Offline ICE4ME75

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 14, 2010, 11:16 AM »
try knutsons live bait. i got my order last wednesday.they last me the year.

Offline ICE4ME75

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 14, 2010, 11:20 AM »
just checked pricing and it is $58.71 for a 1,000. $35.41 for 500 count (that's with shipping added in to my address just south of albany)

Offline oneidawalleye

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 14, 2010, 04:28 PM »
Dave's Bait & Tackle (518) 863-8318 on Bunker Hill Road in Mayfield has mousees this year.

Offline hard4ice

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 16, 2010, 01:08 AM »
the buffalo news fishing line (dec. 15 edition) said that there was  poor hatches in Michigan where they are grown and marketed, and they will be almost double in price from last year. there may be a slight shortage i guess
When hell freezes over, i'll be ice fishing there too!!

Offline Gamma Fish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Dec 16, 2010, 01:37 AM »
the buffalo news fishing line (dec. 15 edition) said that there was  poor hatches in Michigan where they are grown and marketed, and they will be almost double in price from last year. there may be a slight shortage i guess
Mousee's are not native to Michigan as some people would like you to believe.
 One of the largest Mousee suppliers is right here in New Yorks southern tier !   They inhabit his farm and he harvests them just as any other mousee supplier does.
  Mousee's are not like spikes that can be raised indoors in a climate controlled environment.  They're a specie of ground bee that's susceptible to the weather, water and heat.     Wet springs and summers result in low harvests of moussee's.    Excessive heat will also cause low numbers but it's not nearly as bad as the high moisture levels.
   When the weather in the northeast and upper midwest is not conducive for a strong moussee hatch, those suppliers make the calls to the farms in the southern states where they're plentiful and rarely harvested.       Prices are cheap but they've already got you believing that there's a shortage (self made) so they raise the prices to astronomical levels and if you want moussee's, you pay the shot !
  I'm hearing prices of $40.00 to $55.00 per / 1000  :o :o :cookoo: :cookoo:
 Moussee's should be about $12.00 to $15.00 / 1000 and spikes $6.00 to $9.00 / 1000 on the retail end

PLASTICS ARE FANTASTIC  !!

Offline hard4ice

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 16, 2010, 12:30 PM »
whatever, i'm not a bugman... i was just passing along the info
When hell freezes over, i'll be ice fishing there too!!

Offline Gamma Fish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Dec 16, 2010, 12:48 PM »
whatever, i'm not a bugman... i was just passing along the info
So was I  ;D ;D     Might just save someone a buck down the road ! ;)

Offline 5watchman5

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Whose idea was this anyway?
« Reply #10 on: Dec 16, 2010, 05:06 PM »
1,000 spikes on the way as of this morning from Knutson's.  Wifee is gonna love it. ;D

Offline sacandagakid

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Dec 17, 2010, 08:05 AM »
JIM's bait shop.mayfield has them bought them yesterday.no price changes
Dont't catch um all

Offline Fontona19

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Dec 17, 2010, 02:32 PM »
Fish 307 has a supply of them. I picked some up yesterday.

Offline afwrestler1986

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Dec 17, 2010, 03:48 PM »
I just saw mousies for 14.99/1000. Saw it at gander Mountain.
[Img]http://i63.tinypic.com/ei5njr.png[img]

Offline silvercreeker

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Dec 17, 2010, 09:05 PM »
I picked waxies today at Dave's in Derby ny.  They looked fat and juicy, maybe deepfried  ;D
Dave said he will have spikes and mousies early next week.
The Greenhornet's caught more fish then you've lied about, Gustafson!

Offline Gamma Fish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Dec 18, 2010, 03:31 AM »
I just saw mousies for 14.99/1000. Saw it at gander Mountain.
Had to be spikes for that price........or another Gander pricing blunder   ::) ::)

Offline silvercreeker

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Dec 19, 2010, 06:02 PM »
Happy Hooker had mousies and spikes today.
The Greenhornet's caught more fish then you've lied about, Gustafson!

Offline drowndin dots

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Kings of the pond
« Reply #17 on: Dec 19, 2010, 06:31 PM »
 One of the largest Mousee suppliers is right here in New Yorks southern tier !   They inhabit his farm and he harvests them just as any other mousee supplier does.
  Mousee's are not like spikes that can be raised indoors in a climate controlled environment.  They're a specie of ground bee that's susceptible to the weather, water and heat.     Wet springs and summers result in low harvests of moussee's.    Excessive heat will also cause low numbers but it's not nearly as bad as the high moisture levels.
   When the weather in the northeast and upper midwest is not conducive for a strong moussee hatch, those suppliers make the calls to the farms in the southern states where they're plentiful and rarely harvested.       Prices are cheap but they've already got you believing that there's a shortage (self made) so they raise the prices to astronomical levels and if you want moussee's, you pay the shot !
 Moussee's should be about $12.00 to $15.00 / 1000 and spikes $6.00 to $9.00 / 1000 on the retail end

wow great info on that , and i cant belive a larva could possably capitvate me so lol !!!  i take it you may have some info on ordering some ive been able to get them so far but if i ever have trouble could you pm me with some info ?? appriceate the help and the discovery channel like breakdown of the mousies :tipup:

Offline Ice Dog

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Dec 19, 2010, 06:36 PM »
The lowest price I have seen on a 1000 is 42.00. I remember buying 5000 for $100.00 last year?? ??? ???

Offline Gamma Fish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Dec 19, 2010, 10:57 PM »
wow great info on that , and i cant belive a larva could possably capitvate me so lol !!!  i take it you may have some info on ordering some ive been able to get them so far but if i ever have trouble could you pm me with some info ?? appriceate the help and the discovery channel like breakdown of the mousies Flag!

I don't deal in live bait anymore but still have a few connections.  If you get in a jam, let me know  :-\

Offline afwrestler1986

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Dec 21, 2010, 07:59 AM »
Had to be spikes for that price........or another Gander pricing blunder   ::) ::)

This would not surprise me. I walked in to buy stuff and was really shocked by the selection of ice fishing gear.  :o 

They had a whole 7 sq feet dedicated to us.  ::)

Now I also went to BassPro and their selection is far better than last year, but is still relatively small considering we are in NY.
[Img]http://i63.tinypic.com/ei5njr.png[img]

Offline s10xr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Dec 22, 2010, 06:09 AM »
i fished mousees last weekend at big bay.  bought them at gander in cicero

Offline Hobo Hilton

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • If it's FISHABLE or HUNTABLE, It's ME
« Reply #22 on: Dec 23, 2010, 11:26 AM »
Try Wholesale bait co., Vados bait express, Knutson's live bait, Grub co bait.com, and Jada bait.net, Maybe one of them can help you out.

Offline PauliePiker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Dec 23, 2010, 11:54 AM »

Thanks for the education Gamma fish,just one of many games that "BAITSHOPS" play,a few more guys like you around would go  a long way to stopping their B.S.,and would save us fisherman $$$.
ICE THOSE FISH!!!

Offline Gamma Fish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Dec 23, 2010, 01:31 PM »
Thanks for the education Gamma fish,just one of many games that "BAITSHOPS" play,a few more guys like you around would go  a long way to stopping their B.S.,and would save us fisherman $$$.
I wish I still had the drive to get back into bait/tackle/fish business !   Some very simple stratagies I used kept my customers extremely happy !    Especially when it comes to spikes, mousee's and wax worms !    They're all perishable baits and will cost the shop owners money if not sold promtly !    I used all 3 forms of bait as a "Thank You" to my customers !    If you sold me your fish, you got your bottle of spikes, or mousee's for free so you could go out and catch more fish !    If you bought a small minimum of jigs, rods, terminal tackle or accessories from me, (on the wholesale end) you'd get a bag of 5,000 spikes for free !     I'm a firm believer in the "Sell 100 items and make $100.00 instead of trying to make $100.00 on one sale ! 
  Many shop owners these days take advantage of the fact (or at least try to) that we as ice fishermen have little time to enjoy our sport and spend money like drunken sailors to get what we want ! (no offense to you sailors)         
 Winter is a gem for bait shops if they keep in stock, the bait, tackle and accessories that are REQUIRED, DESIRED and bought on IMPULSE !    Without them, a shop gets stagnant !   There's good money in the bait business but on the retail end (where the bait may sit for longer periods of time) it's better to use some of the bait i as a customer appreciation tool !    Don't over charge, give good quantities and keep it in saleable condition !    If a guy spends a $50.00 bill on tackle, toss him a tube a spikes or mousees !    It's worth much more than the money they'd make on the sale of that same tube of spike !    It creates many futures sales and relationships !

Maybe I'm just too old school but in the days when you actually interracted face to face with your suppliers and customers, it was so much easier to build a solid customer base and make an honest living !    These days, everyone wants to get rich overnight ! ::) ::)

Anyone interested in investing in a kick A$$ bait/takle shop at the crossroads of Central NY, let me know  :whistle: :whistle: ;D ;D

Offline Ranger_bound

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • NYS Ranger School Alum '09. SUNY ESF Alum '11
« Reply #25 on: Dec 23, 2010, 04:36 PM »
Try Wholesale bait co., Vados bait express, Knutson's live bait, Grub co bait.com, and Jada bait.net, Maybe one of them can help you out.
I called Vados bait express, Knutson's live bait and they were out. Knuston's is in the process of getting some but for a price...$40 a 1,000. Correct me if I am wrong but I thought Jada bait only sells waxworms and spikes. The Gander Mtn. in New Hartford is supposed to get a shipment of them in this or next week, so I am told.

Offline slabspanker

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • i sell wood and wood products
« Reply #26 on: Dec 23, 2010, 05:32 PM »
jada = spikes and waxies. they do a great job with the spikes for me
wood is good

Offline bluegillbasher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Dec 23, 2010, 05:59 PM »
At $40 -1000 that is 4 cents each,a tube of spikes is usually 50 to a tube which is $2.00.If my supplier had spikes for sale he'd charge me $1.75 a tube of 50 and they would be resold for $2.25 per 50 which makes a profit of 50 cents on an investment of $1.75. To go a little further pike shiners run $9.00 per lb. and 12 pike bait is VERY close to 1 lb. and are resold at $10.00 dozen which means you've spent $9.00 to make $1.00 which any accountant will say is a poor investment.Now the last time i checked i didn't find any gold bars under my bed after 6 years in the business so how is it again the baitshop owners are robbing the fishermen?I know this is a little off the subject but it gets tiresome year after year on here seeing the guys bashing on the baitshop guys.I'd say if live minnows could be bought online the baitshops would be gone.Nowadays everyone buys from the cheapest guy they can find or on the internet and then complains when theres no baitshops close by.I've been around long enuf to know that the guy who undercuts everybody else to grab the business gets the business at least for a little while and then goes out a few years down the road because his end of the pie was alot smaller then what the cost of things were and he wasn't making enuf to keep his doors open.My supplier is still stickin to no mousees for the season.Anyway,good luck to all this season.

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #28 on: Dec 23, 2010, 06:53 PM »
now  wait  a  miinute ,  and  i'm  not  calling  anyone  a  crook   but  i  can  get  you  5000  spikes  right   now   for  45  dollars  bluegill  how  is  that  1.75   for  50  to  you?  hell  you'd   be  better  off   buying  the  5000  ,  50  ct   is   45  cents  on  your  end  you  could   sell  them  at  1.50    and   toss  half  of  them  away  and  still  make   double  what  yer  making  right  now?????

and  ranger  i  don't  think   jada   does  sell  mousies

Offline bluegillbasher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Dec 23, 2010, 07:06 PM »
Trap,that $1.75 price is 50 mousees in a plastic tube from my wholesaler and he don't sell in bulk as if he did i'd do what you suggested.He's the only bait supplier that i know of that supplies the entire area around me and currently has the market cornered.He had competition from one other guy in Mass. but he's gone now and this fellas it,you don't deal with him you don't have bait to sell.Now there's the market to get into if you got the space.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.