New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Buffalo Union Ship Canal  (Read 22835 times)

Offline AON09

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Buffalo Union Ship Canal
« Reply #90 on: Jan 26, 2015, 08:48 AM »
Ice is safe in the outer harbor?

Offline hard4ice

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #91 on: Jan 26, 2015, 12:02 PM »
Ice is safe in the outer harbor?
Why? you feel fishing in current? I would recommend for anyone to NOT try and be near the southgap. the south and middle gap have good current. fish it in a boat during summer months and you'll see what I mean. just cause someone says it's "safe", doesn't mean it is. seems like my warnings fall on deaf ears every year......
When hell freezes over, i'll be ice fishing there too!!

Offline zadvorney

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Gobi Dick sank my boat!
« Reply #92 on: Jan 26, 2015, 01:15 PM »
Fished the barges south of the grain elevators.  2 7" perch and the rest were 3" long.  Fished 20 holes all over the bay and nothing to speak of.  A few isolated patches of weeds on the bottom.  Might be better when the bait arrives. My son saw a few smelt.
If life were easy everybody would have one.

Offline AON09

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #93 on: Jan 26, 2015, 01:41 PM »
Why? you feel fishing in current? I would recommend for anyone to NOT try and be near the southgap. the south and middle gap have good current. fish it in a boat during summer months and you'll see what I mean. just cause someone says it's "safe", doesn't mean it is. seems like my warnings fall on deaf ears every year......
Yea I know there is current out there. Im not talking walking clear to the outer break wall, let a lone half way bewteen the inner and outer walls. I was interested in the deeper water. Guys were fishing from the ship canal all the way out to the light house with good safe ice.

Offline hard4ice

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #94 on: Jan 27, 2015, 12:22 AM »
Yea I know there is current out there. Im not talking walking clear to the outer break wall, let a lone half way bewteen the inner and outer walls. I was interested in the deeper water. Guys were fishing from the ship canal all the way out to the light house with good safe ice.
I know they have been. i'm just saying be careful if you venture near the south gap. don't matter how cold it is but that ice will deteriorate from the bottom up. as that's what current does.....  if you go, be safe. the best ice report is your own

Offline AON09

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #95 on: Jan 27, 2015, 12:47 AM »
Hard do you meant he north gap has a lot of current?

Offline hard4ice

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #96 on: Jan 27, 2015, 12:39 PM »
Hard do you meant he north gap has a lot of current?
well, it's at the mouth of the mighty Niagara river so..... what do you think?

Offline zadvorney

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Gobi Dick sank my boat!
« Reply #97 on: Jan 27, 2015, 02:43 PM »
North, south and middle gap have a current that you could never swim against.  If you stay close to the Lackawanna Canal then you might have better luck staying on top. I used to windsurf in that whole channel and I can vouch on the swimming against the current thing...
If life were easy everybody would have one.

Offline BuffaloIceMan

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Maniac
« Reply #98 on: Jan 27, 2015, 05:01 PM »
Just stay within the canal and not venture out on the actual lake from the canal you can and may be sorry if you do at most all winter 3 to 4 inches that can deteriorate down to almost nothing at certain points if you must do so then spud spud spud flotation device (frabill suit) please don't be careless I don't want to see any fellow fisherfolk on the 5 o clock news
And so it begins........

Offline toydevil48

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #99 on: Jan 27, 2015, 05:48 PM »
A few years back I was out past the big ship that used to be by the south gap, came around the point and my whole leg went right through, ice everywhere else was 12-16 inches.  I punched a hole 15 ft away and it was 12 inches...dropped down a jig and it pretty much went at a 45 degree angle...serious current there and if you go all the way in you will not be coming back up until you reach the river.  I will NEVER go out in the main channel ever again, scared the maggots off my jig!!!!! ;D

Offline chryniewicz8888

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #100 on: Jan 27, 2015, 06:27 PM »
2x^ that were were there last year same spot in back wall of where the ships are.   Between sbh and ship canal.  It was two half feet last year everywhere but 4/5 inches on that back wall of the channel heavy current. 

Offline hard4ice

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #101 on: Jan 27, 2015, 11:47 PM »
A few years back I was out past the big ship that used to be by the south gap, came around the point and my whole leg went right through, ice everywhere else was 12-16 inches.  I punched a hole 15 ft away and it was 12 inches...dropped down a jig and it pretty much went at a 45 degree angle...serious current there and if you go all the way in you will not be coming back up until you reach the river.  I will NEVER go out in the main channel ever again, scared the maggots off my jig!!!!! ;D
2x^ that were were there last year same spot in back wall of where the ships are.   Between sbh and ship canal.  It was two half feet last year everywhere but 4/5 inches on that back wall of the channel heavy current.
that's what I've been trying to say... if these 4 previous post don't get thru any ones head that wants to go out there than I guess there's nothing else I can do or say.............. the gaps are NEVER safe

Offline toydevil48

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #102 on: Jan 28, 2015, 12:22 AM »
Yea it's not worth it, plus there's too much current to even fish anyways

Offline dave_p.

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #103 on: Jan 28, 2015, 01:07 AM »
Good post guys. I have talked about going out there before last year in fact, and guys warned about current. Didn`t know there was that much current though. I don`t have a boat to see during the year. Without your guys stories I wouldn`t be scared to go between those walls. Fished black lake where they have currents, and not much difference in ice thickness.

Offline chryniewicz8888

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #104 on: Jan 28, 2015, 04:47 AM »
And that not even between walls that with in the channel!!!!!!! I woundnt go near the gaps. 

Offline AON09

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #105 on: Jan 28, 2015, 10:09 AM »
I wasn't talking about going anywhere near the gaps, i was talking about walking out just past the "no wake" bouys in the summer Are just outside the harbor

Offline 04toyota79

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #106 on: Jan 28, 2015, 10:32 AM »
I've fished out between the inner and outer break walls in the past. Ice was always safe. It's just that the current was so strong your lure would never come close to bottom. Always at a 45degree or better. Not worth it whatsoever.

Offline BuffaloIceMan

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Maniac
« Reply #107 on: Jan 28, 2015, 06:49 PM »
I'll be fishing here in the am if anyone sees my holey shappell s4000 stop by and say hi
And so it begins........

Offline 1edi

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #108 on: Jan 28, 2015, 07:03 PM »
how is the fishing in the usc i have been thinking of giving it a try

Offline BuffaloIceMan

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Maniac
« Reply #109 on: Jan 28, 2015, 07:08 PM »
Some ppl saying bunch of Dink's but other people I talked to say they got some nice perch and a few eyes closer to the windmills If you want to meet me there I'll be going at like 4 or 5 am got plenty of room in the shack for one more
And so it begins........

Offline 1edi

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #110 on: Jan 28, 2015, 07:12 PM »
I might try for later in the day 4-5 am is a bit to early for me lol

Offline BuffaloIceMan

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Maniac
« Reply #111 on: Jan 28, 2015, 07:26 PM »
Ok well if u change ur mind let me know I'll be there for a bit
And so it begins........

Offline blkgmc79

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #112 on: Jan 31, 2015, 07:54 PM »
Anyone heading out In the morning? I'm starting at Erie basin first thing depending of the fishing might try and head that way...pm me if you are interested in meeting up
if u carry it out carry it back in!!

Offline BuffaloIceMan

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Maniac
« Reply #113 on: Feb 01, 2015, 09:21 PM »
Stick to the second set if docks in the marina I was there all day and killed the perch
And so it begins........

Offline Bowhunter79

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #114 on: Feb 01, 2015, 10:32 PM »
I've got a question for you experienced Union ship canal fisherman. After reading all your info on the unsafe ice conditions and current towards the end of canal I just want to make sure I'm understand for sure. You guys are simply saying fishing the canal is safe just do not walk out any further then the end of the canal where it opens up correct? I might sound like an idiot but I'm not completely familiar with that area and would rather be safe than sorry
Fish on! Ice Fishing Team Yamagoochy

Offline BuffaloIceMan

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Maniac
« Reply #115 on: Feb 01, 2015, 10:51 PM »
If u fish out beyond the mouth there is a small current use a spud bar if you do venture out I'm sure it is safe as there was someone all the way out by the lighthouse yesterday
And so it begins........

Offline Rob W

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #116 on: Feb 02, 2015, 05:44 PM »
HI Guys.  New to the forums here, been reading and picking up lots of good info.  Hoping to head to the union ship canal Sat to try, and could use a bit of help.  Trying to find the parking lot on the maps, but not sure i'm looking at the right one.  Coming from the north, do I get off at Fuhrmann (for the SBH), and go past the SBH and park in the lot west of rt 5, where Fuhrmann makes the left turn?  Is that where the stairs are?  We bring 2 sleds, will they just slide down the stairs, probably need to bungee the heater and buckets down? 

Tried the SBH last Sunday, caught 25 perch at the north end, between pier and breakwall end, but everything was under 6 inches.  Looking to improve on that....

Any help is greatly appreciated, and will let you know how we make out. 

Offline Bflowings

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #117 on: Feb 02, 2015, 06:01 PM »
Yes, that's exactly where you park.  Get there early as there aren't many spaces.  If it fills up, follow the road as it turns left under the overpass and there's a larger parking lot.

The stairs are slippery, but you should be able to use rope to lower your sled down the stairs.  Always a good idea to carry extra rope anyhow. 

Offline Rob W

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #118 on: Feb 02, 2015, 06:07 PM »
Cool, thanks. 

Yup, always have a good rope to save my buddy if he falls through, although he seems to make me go first lately....hmmm

Fish on!

Offline clammule

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #119 on: Feb 04, 2015, 11:50 AM »
Drove by about noon today and saw a bunch of huts out by the lighthouse. Any report would be greatly appreciated. Got a few friends coming in from Michigan tomorrow to fish for a few days.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.