Author Topic: Question on Shanty ID.  (Read 4211 times)

Offline redjones

• IceShanty Rookie
Question on Shanty ID.
« on: Jan 14, 2015, 03:19 PM »
What are guys using for the ID requirement on their shanties,from what I have read you need your Name and Address in 3" block letters on the door of your hut regardless if its occupied or not.
If you are fishing sunset to sunrise you are suppose to have a 3"x 3" square of reflective material on each side of your hut also.
A piece of cardboard with the required name and address in black marker would work,but I am sure there are some better ways to go,boat res. letters,etc.
Let everyone know what has been working best for you.

Thanks...............G reg
Semper FI

Offline wax_worm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Right out of my ice hole!
Re: Question on Shanty ID.
« Reply #1 on: Jan 14, 2015, 03:29 PM »
What are guys using for the ID requirement on their shanties,from what I have read you need your Name and Address in 3" block letters on the door of your hut regardless if its occupied or not.
If you are fishing sunset to sunrise you are suppose to have a 3"x 3" square of reflective material on 2 sides of your hut also.
A piece of cardboard with the required name and address in black marker would work,but I am sure there are some better ways to go,boat res. letters,etc.
Let everyone know what has been working best for you.

Thanks...............G reg

I just put my first initial, last name and city and state on an 8x11 piece of paper and laminate it.  punch a hole in the corner bend a paper clip to use as a holder and attach to the zipper.  Been checked several times and never had any CO say a work about the letters not being 3 inches or my street address that is missing.

Offline wallydiven

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 14, 2015, 03:33 PM »
Exactly what wax said. Also, fishing at night you need reflectors on ALL sides of your shanty.

Offline icehunter43

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 14, 2015, 03:42 PM »
Ive never heard of needing info on a ice shanty only reflectors on each side. Cant find anything that says otherwise on indiana dnr
People say ice fishing is crazy, I call it therapy.

Offline redjones

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 14, 2015, 03:52 PM »
Thanks I fixed it,3"x 3" reflectors each side of shanty sunset to sunrise.
I never bothered with a hut id before,always marked my tip-ups like they were supposed to be just not my shanty,I have no idea why not,maybe because I dont use a hut very often.
But I figured its time to try and follow the regs a little closer and try and avoid any problems down the road.
Keep the suggestions coming.

Thanks..........Greg
Semper FI

Offline walleyedan

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I live for ICE fishing!!!
« Reply #5 on: Jan 14, 2015, 04:20 PM »
icehunter43.  The info is in there.  Do a search of postings and you will find it.  Paper or cardboard attached to hanger or clip.  It all works.  When and if the law gets changed this year all you will need is your fishing license number on your shanty.

Offline icehunter43

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 14, 2015, 04:47 PM »
I looked I didnt see it.

Offline Eye_Crosser86

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 14, 2015, 04:49 PM »
Ya its in there, i didnt know either and got a warning for it last year, i just wrote my name in block letters and city put it in a ziploc bag and put it in a window by the door, been checked a couple times since and both times they said that will work

Offline icehunter43

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 14, 2015, 05:12 PM »
I found it and your right does say owners name and address. Guess ive been breaking this law for 15 plus years.

Offline scroungydog

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Penguinphobic
« Reply #9 on: Jan 14, 2015, 05:30 PM »
I just put my first initial, last name and city and state on an 8x11 piece of paper and laminate it.  punch a hole in the corner bend a paper clip to use as a holder and attach to the zipper.  Been checked several times and never had any CO say a work about the letters not being 3 inches or my street address that is missing.

The CO's can be a bit inconsistent in regards to these rules. Talked to a guy last Sunday that said he received a warning ticket for not having 3" block letters on his Rover.  ??? ???
Penguins are not your Friends!!!!!

Offline Eyedrops

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jan 14, 2015, 05:30 PM »
Seen a bunch of shanties this year without anything on the door.  If you read the regs it says the owner's name and address must be on the door in 3 inch block letters.  I didn't want to bother with any fines this year so I went ahead and made a sign that hangs over my door.  Seems silly to have regs that aren't enforced.  Plus I never seem to meet the nice COs that everyone runs into.

Offline IceSkak

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 14, 2015, 06:46 PM »
Thanks for the info

Offline Stinkybaits

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Jan 14, 2015, 07:42 PM »
I refuse to put any information on a portable period they can fine me u still won't abide.

Offline HellfishIN473

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Jan 14, 2015, 08:00 PM »
What does it help having that info on the shanty?  If the CO checks your fishing license when he comes thru doesn't that fill our obligation?  They don't even ask for your drivers license to see if the 2 match up, you could have someone else's license.  I guess i don't see the benefit.

Offline icecleate

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 14, 2015, 08:25 PM »
I just wrote my name and address on the back of my Windblock portable shelter with a paint pen. It is not in 3 inch block letter and the CO'S have never said anything to me. I know a lot of anglers may not want their name on their shanty permanently because they may want to resale it. I was not concerned about it. I have had this shamty for at least 20 years.

Offline FishShooter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Jan 14, 2015, 09:27 PM »
I have an old one man Clam I just bought and was wondering the same thing and have yet to do anything about it. Technically no door on it being that it is a flipper. I don't want to wreck it because I am probably going to sell it at some point. I do have some reflective tape I could stick onto the sides of the sled.

I did write on my tip ups. As far as the shanty goes I am at a loss.
Fish On!

Offline dsqui

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 15, 2015, 03:32 AM »
if i read it right on dnr face book they said the person using it needs to be on it not the owner so you cant let anyone borrow the shanty anymore

Offline Bang,Bang

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Jan 15, 2015, 04:48 AM »
I also received a warning ticket for no name or reflectors on my shanty years ago...then first I tried using adhesive numbers and reflective tape...no luck they would not stay on...then I used a black marker and wrote onto the fabric of the shanty with my ID information and used mail box reflectors with safety pins on the four sides....problem solved , good to go!!!!

Offline kyron4

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Jan 15, 2015, 05:22 AM »
I refuse to put any information on a portable period they can fine me u still won't abide.
Just curious,  why not?  It's your choice /money,  just wondering your reasoning.

Offline Fish_Tko

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Jan 15, 2015, 07:03 AM »
Any have just their CID number and been checked yet?
There is only one theory about angling in which I have perfect confidence, and this is that the two words, least appropriate to any statement, about it, are the words "always" and "never."

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #20 on: Jan 15, 2015, 07:49 AM »
you make the choice, i dont want blamed. lol mine wont get any id this year! printed rule book states portables dont need id.

here-

real fishermen don't ask "where you catch those"

OANN the real story

- member here since -2003- IN.

Offline Fishslayer81

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Jan 15, 2015, 09:48 AM »

I am not putting anything on my pop up...I will just play dumb and say I just bought it and did not know. Stupid law anyway and should only be required for shelters unattended. If I am in my pop up then you can check my license...again "DNR...pull your heads from your..."

Offline sprkplug

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Jan 15, 2015, 10:11 AM »
I am not putting anything on my pop up...I will just play dumb and say I just bought it and did not know. Stupid law anyway and should only be required for shelters unattended. If I am in my pop up then you can check my license...again "DNR...pull your heads from your..."

What if the officer logs that info, lets you off, and you get checked again a few days later?

Offline northrn-duck-assassin

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Jan 15, 2015, 10:13 AM »
you make the choice, i dont want blamed. lol mine wont get any id this year! printed rule book states portables dont need id.

here-(Image removed from quote.)

The picture you posted, it clearly says ice fishing shelters must have i.d. on them, im not understanding where it says they no longer need to have this on them? Maybe on another page of the book compared to the page you have pictured here??
Got one goin'!

Offline FelixD

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • R.I.P. Janurary 16, 2015
« Reply #24 on: Jan 15, 2015, 10:30 AM »
I like the idea Wax Think i'm gonna go with it!
Politicians and diapers need to be changed for the same reason

Offline Fishslayer81

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Jan 15, 2015, 10:45 AM »
What if the officer logs that info, lets you off, and you get checked again a few days later?
Being I only use my pop up a couple times a year...I will probably be ok.

Offline icehawk92188

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Jan 15, 2015, 10:49 AM »
I'm very much on the fence when it comes to shanty ID. I understand it is a law and I can be written a ticket for not having my shanty id'd but I am willing to take that risk. I have read too many stories of slimeballs scouting out lakes and seeing that someone is on the lake(not at home) and going to the address(posted on your shanty) to rob you. I would rather risk a ticket than risk someone breaking into my home to steal everything I have or to cause harm to my loved ones.

Offline sprkplug

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #27 on: Jan 15, 2015, 11:15 AM »
I'm very much on the fence when it comes to shanty ID. I understand it is a law and I can be written a ticket for not having my shanty id'd but I am willing to take that risk. I have read too many stories of slimeballs scouting out lakes and seeing that someone is on the lake(not at home) and going to the address(posted on your shanty) to rob you. I would rather risk a ticket than risk someone breaking into my home to steal everything I have or to cause harm to my loved ones.

I have searched for just such an instance but have had no luck. Could you post a few links where this was proven to be the case? I had this scenario pegged as internet myth.

Offline OMIGHTY

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Jan 15, 2015, 11:40 AM »

Same here. It's also a good way if you plan on upgrading/downgrading your shanty later on and you want to sell it. That way you don't have your information writing in black marker on the material or whatever means you would use to put your info on it. Seen guys use reflective tape and shape them into block letters also. Seemed to be a good idea so that you could always just peel them off later.

Offline icehawk92188

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #29 on: Jan 15, 2015, 11:43 AM »
I have searched for just such an instance but have had no luck. Could you post a few links where this was proven to be the case? I had this scenario pegged as internet myth.

The last case I saw was from a northern Michigan newspaper, 2 years ago when I bought my shanty. Talking about a whole string of break-ins, and they said that in every case the homeowner was ice fishing with their shanty at the time of break-in. I will try to find the article again. It could very well be a myth, but I wouldn't put it past some of the crooks that wander this Earth.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.