The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: 8" or 10"  (Read 3342 times)

Offline riverbottom

• IceShanty Rookie
  • AYUH!
Re: 8" or 10"
« Reply #60 on: Mar 12, 2012, 03:52 PM »
8 if you fish 4 perch and crapie but if u go after pike and togeu and enter durbys or want to get a mount I wood get 10 to be on the safe side.it makes landing a big fish a litle easyer.

Offline Skunkboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #61 on: Mar 12, 2012, 04:02 PM »
Bought a Eskimo Z51 with an 8" bit to replace my old Eskimo with a 10" bit. They're still interchangeable.  Now I have both.  ;D  If you plan on drilling a lot of holes searching for fish, the 8" drills twice as quick.

Offline Corso

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #62 on: Mar 12, 2012, 06:58 PM »
Bingo and kudos for pointing that out, when drilling through 24" of ice in far Northern Maine well into Mid February, definately separates the men from the boys, when it comes to enough nuts to power down! ;)

going far north in mid feb may seperate the men from the boys  :flex:...but 24" of ice...anywhere...would nt be an issue lol

Offline EmeraldShiner

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Live on for those that have been lost.
« Reply #63 on: Mar 12, 2012, 07:43 PM »

going far north in mid feb may seperate the men from the boys  :flex:...but 24" of ice...anywhere...would nt be an issue lol

I was referring to the Jiffy 3hp engine on an 8" to 10" auger blade vs. the 2hp engine and yes it makes a huge difference.

Offline teabagger1773

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #64 on: Mar 12, 2012, 08:53 PM »
i own a z71 shark but have drilled with a 751 10 inch. the 751 is noticeably lighter with a minimum sacrifice in speed. the only thing i have personally seen that can smoke a 751  is a z71 but not by enough to justify the extra coin. also the decompression valve is one more headache when you are starting up, if you don't push it u can mess up your recoil assembly and if you push it and don't instantly give it just the right amount of gas to close it you will stall.  as far as hole size, i think the 10 inch really shines when you are fighting a fish on light leader and are trying to keep it from getting snagged on the side of the hole.
Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.

Offline Anomaly

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Formerly clamfarmer
« Reply #65 on: Mar 13, 2012, 04:34 AM »
10 fro me. It’s easier to maneuver a fish into the whole with light line, especially with thick ice. AND a hook is less likely to fetch on the bottom of the hole. I HATE THAT!!!
"You can’t buy happiness, but you can buy fishing gear and that’s kind of the same thing.” 

Offline JDK

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #66 on: Mar 13, 2012, 09:13 AM »
I was referring to the Jiffy 3hp engine on an 8" to 10" auger blade vs. the 2hp engine and yes it makes a huge difference.

My boys have been seperated for a while now but I have to agree with ES.  A 3 hp. 10 inch auger is skookum.
I'm just here to read what all the experts have to say.

Offline cjg

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #67 on: Mar 13, 2012, 07:57 PM »
Having had 8", 9", & my current 10" I prefer the 9" myself. If you are allways fishing where you could catch a larger fish go with the 10". I fished some other guys 6" holes after they left and can't imagine ever wanting to go that small.

Offline woodchip

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #68 on: Mar 13, 2012, 08:43 PM »
I think the 8" is all one needs . I have 8-9-10" and the first year I used a 10" I had a monster Brown in the hole His head was the size of my hand . the hook came out and he turned and was gone if i had my 8" a big fish can't turn once you have his head in the hole. I had my hand on him twice but he had room enough to turn and he was gone........

Offline Thunder Chip

• IceShanty Rookie
  • I catch fish, therefore I am.......
« Reply #69 on: Mar 14, 2012, 06:01 AM »
8", it makes the fish look bigger ;D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.