Author Topic: One man ice shanty opinion?  (Read 2381 times)

Offline jiggit

• IceShanty Rookie
One man ice shanty opinion?
« on: Feb 04, 2007, 09:59 AM »
Hi, I am considering buying a one flip style shanty. I am trying to decide which one to get in respect to price, weight , size and if it come with a built in seat or not. Any and all opinions would be greatly appreciated. I have been eyeing the Frabill 6110 Recon because I found it on sale for $119.99. Thank you  Steve

Offline fire831

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: One man ice shanty opinion?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 04, 2007, 10:36 AM »
I have a Shappell Rover 1.0 and love it.

Offline walleye luver

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Feb 04, 2007, 10:38 AM »
I just bought a fish trap pro, Man I love it  ;D ;D. The pro  has a seat, and enough room for every thing, but a auger. for that a use a shappel sled. i put a eye on the back to hook it up to. also it is light. 50 some pounds (empty of coarse) reeds sports had it on-line for  $70.00 off. good price. I had a Eskimo Quick flip III That I used when I had My son fishing with me. Heavy and big sold it to a friend who has kids.
I Have a friend that bought a recon, No seat , works good for what he uses it for.
   I looked at a lot of them, and read allot of posts on here,seems a lot of guys like the fish trap. I know I like mine.  Tight lines
                                                                Walleye Luver

Offline jimmygunns

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Add more bacon, son!
« Reply #3 on: Feb 04, 2007, 10:45 AM »
Just put together my Trap Pro last night.  Worked great in the living room!

Offline Jigmup

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Feb 04, 2007, 10:52 AM »
I own a HT Polar Escape. I bought it because it has the thickest fabric available and is black which I believe helps with passive solar heating. My first experience with flip shacks was in North Dakota on Devils lake many years ago. The wind always blows there. Many flip shacks that we rented had light material on the shell and the wind would beat them senseless. They are all suseptable to shaking around in extreme wind but get one that is constructed of HD material.
Never tell a fish where its supposed to be

Offline Lagro Hunter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Feb 04, 2007, 12:13 PM »
I have a Shapell One man that my wife got me 2 or 3 years ago with a sled I think she payed $100.
Always take a child hunting or fishing its our future.

Offline Smokerk

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Feb 04, 2007, 12:39 PM »
I bought the fish trap last year on sale at Gander Mountain. In my opinion, the built in seat is the best feature. I have been sitting on buckets all these years and my back lasts a lot longer sitting in the chair.  The fact that all my gear fits inside is also a real plus. With all this wind we've had lately, I also appreciate the heavy duty fabric its made with.

Offline FishDaddy09

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Feb 04, 2007, 01:02 PM »
Go with a shappell Rover.  Just check out the tub/sled size compared to the fish traps. The rover has a nice sized tub made of a much thicker plastic, and a heavey duty dark fabric on the cover.  If you add some chain in side the "apron" around the outside it with stay down on the ice very nicely.  A good dark shanty for site fishing.
There is nothing in the world I'd rather do than ice fish!

Offline Swedish__Pimple

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Feb 04, 2007, 03:33 PM »
I fish out of a Fish Trap and Im happy with it!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline bret

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • approaching "Grumpy Old Man" age
« Reply #9 on: Feb 04, 2007, 07:18 PM »
Fish Trap Pro.  Perfect size for 1 man.  I haul a rod case with 4 rods, buddy heater,vex, small cooler, misc stuff.  Just remember that after you're all loaded up, you still have to pull it around...and then load it in the truck at the end of a long day!
Never Judge A Day By The Weather.
YouTube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCloEWXfcjMRYo9J6qOLtggQ

Offline jhc

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Feb 04, 2007, 07:23 PM »

I have a clam 5600,its a little heavier than I like,but when its open ...Sweet!!!!
                                           jhc

Offline Cook078

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Good Fishing
« Reply #11 on: Feb 04, 2007, 07:26 PM »

I have the Frabill ranger solo and really like it.  Seems very durable and holds up good in the 30 mph winds like today!!
have a CRAPPIE day!!

Offline littled62

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • 219-670-9620
« Reply #12 on: Feb 04, 2007, 10:11 PM »
I just spent my first day in my new fish trap pro, bought it at gander mt. friday, for one person it was great, took now time to set up and take down, my other one is the shappell 4000, not fun to do by yourself, great for 2 or 3 but not 1, in this wind it is one big sail, the fish trap moved some on me but not much, I can get it in and out of the truck with out hurting my back, getting old stinks ;D,

Offline Ice_Fly

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Feb 04, 2007, 11:07 PM »
I have an old fish trap and it works fine for me as long as I'm not out in very high wind.

Offline PoleCat

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • IceFsh'nNut
« Reply #14 on: Feb 05, 2007, 07:43 AM »
littled62 hows that shappel work for you? Was looking @ the 3000dx model. Wondered how it faired in real windy conditions?
Oh jimmygunn when you set ur new one up, how was the fish biting? :o
HoosierPoleCat member since 2003

The high price of Freedom is a cost paid by a Brave few... Semper Fi

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.