New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Fin Bore III Auger blades  (Read 8588 times)

Offline TheWasp74

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish On!
Fin Bore III Auger blades
« on: Dec 30, 2012, 07:49 AM »
Hey guys! Just wanted to see if anyone else has run into the same problem I had last season. I purchased a new Fin Bore III 8 inch hand ice auger two seasons ago at the end of the season- didn't get to try it out till last year. I went up to Adirondack Lake with a buddy of mine and drilled one hole and had so much trouble getting through the ice. The second hole I tried and couldnt even cut through the ice. Its like the blades were dull right out of the box. Had to go back to using my old Eskimo hand auger. I was absolutely pissed off and haven't brought myself to by new Laser blades!!! Anyone else have the same trouble? Maybe I should not have purchesed the 8 inch- dunno?

Offline ship of fools

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Fin Bore III Auger blades
« Reply #1 on: Dec 30, 2012, 08:30 AM »
I just bought one off of craigslist ....  the guy swore to me that the blades were good  :-\

It wouldn't even drill a hole .....  you could feel it drill perfectly for the first half of the blade but then it would start wobbling and try to make an oblong hole. You could feel on the blade where it was nicked.

Guess that is what i get for trusting someone  ::)

You probably have bad blades too.
Goin' where the wind don't blow so strange,
Maybe off on some high cold mountain chain.

Offline TheWasp74

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish On!
« Reply #2 on: Dec 30, 2012, 08:35 AM »
Yeah I bought mine from Fish307 online and by the time I could test it out-it was to late to return. Mine had a knick in the blades after drilling the first hole- thought I hit a rock but now I think the blades were just crap to begin with. I picked up a hand sharpener and sharpend the heck out of the edge. Doesn't look pretty, but should suffice till i purchase new blades.

Offline joshjj2010

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 30, 2012, 09:13 AM »
Most of these new blades are junk. I webt through 3 sets of blades cuz theyd chip and dull out after 1 hole. Needless to say ill b getting a new auger

Offline Mentiply

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Dec 30, 2012, 09:10 PM »
I have a 6" FB3 that I bought years ago and I never had any issue with it. Granted I don't fish a lot but after many years it still cuts ice quickly.

Offline Huntyeraws

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hey! You got a flag!
« Reply #5 on: Dec 30, 2012, 09:13 PM »
I bought a 6" one 3 years back, I have easily cut several hundred holes with it and it still works good as new. 

Offline ship of fools

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Dec 31, 2012, 07:12 AM »
I used min yesterday with the brand new blades and it worked like a charm  ;D

looking at the old ones it was obvious that someone had tried to file them and screwed it up

the POS that i bought them from blatantly lied to me and told me they were new last year and had only been used twice  >:(

why do people need to be such scumbags ....  i only paid $40 or something and would have happily paid $30 if he was honest and felt like i did ok

instead i now have someone else on my list....

my buddy suggested i toss the old blades through his front window   :o   ... i was thinking that strategically leaning them against his car tires may be a little less dramatic  @)

Offline Huntyeraws

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hey! You got a flag!
« Reply #7 on: Dec 31, 2012, 07:49 AM »
Send the blades to Fish307.com  for exchange/resharpening

http://www.fish307.com/augerbladeexchange.aspx

Offline Crash1433

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 31, 2012, 07:53 AM »
x2 on fish307. Went yesterday with my finbore..$12.00 to exchange them out and they put them on for me while I shopped.

Offline ship of fools

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Dec 31, 2012, 07:53 AM »
Send the blades to Fish307.com  for exchange/resharpening

http://www.fish307.com/augerbladeexchange.aspx

i am close enough that i can bring them in  ;D   ....  which i will do

but ....  it says the core needs to be good - i wouldn't be surprised if the scumbag who cheated me didn't ruin the core itself when they sharpened them .... you can see where they filed them and they took way to much off / sharpened them at the wrong angle

Offline ship of fools

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Dec 31, 2012, 07:55 AM »
And ....   just to be clear i was joking about the windows and tires  :o

i figure karma is a b***h and he will get his someday  ;D

Offline Crash1433

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Dec 31, 2012, 07:58 AM »
If you are that worried about the blades then I would prob get a new set. They(fish307) will takes yours and fix them giving you a set somedody else turned in. Or you could just buy a new set. What I did was got mine replaced with a used set and got a new set and kept them in the box just in case. For $30 for the new blades and $12 for the replacement used ones I figure thats pretty cheap insurance

Offline ship of fools

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Dec 31, 2012, 08:08 AM »
If you are that worried about the blades then I would prob get a new set. They(fish307) will takes yours and fix them giving you a set somedody else turned in. Or you could just buy a new set. What I did was got mine replaced with a used set and got a new set and kept them in the box just in case. For $30 for the new blades and $12 for the replacement used ones I figure thats pretty cheap insurance

already bought new ones ....  the old blades were definitely damaged

i am going to exchange them (if they are not ruined) and have a second set  ;D

Offline captin bill

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 01, 2013, 04:19 AM »
My first auger was the 8 ::)and it was good for exercise but not fishing, bought my share of new blades and some were just as dull as the replacements. The blade also seemed to go dull real fast so i gave it away still have set of old blades if you want. The 6 seems to work just fine year after year don't know why ??? Save the aggravation and buy a 6" nils, it is lightning fast and holds an edge forever.  @)

Offline PerchEyes

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • The "eyes" have it!
« Reply #14 on: Jan 01, 2013, 09:59 AM »
The topic of drastic difference in quality between blades made in Finland/Sweden vs those made in China has been discussed before.
The NEW replacement blades I got from Fish307 a few years back say "Mora of Sweden" on them.
I've had no problems with them.
I'd suggest that if you go the resharpened route that you ask that the replacements NOT be of Chinese origin.
The tug is the drug.

Offline TheWasp74

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish On!
« Reply #15 on: Jan 01, 2013, 10:11 AM »
The problem that I had is that the original blades on the auger were 8 inch Mora blades and they were junk right out of the box. My grandfather has had a 6 inch fine bore for three years now with no problems. I have even used it and it worked great! I was discussing with him and think the problem might be that the 8 inch just isn't good at cutting ice. If my trial with hand sharpening the blades doesn't work (the blades are sharp as hell now, cause I sliced a finger open by accident)- I am going to sell it. Might try a 6 inch Eskimo Barracuda curved blade auger beacuse my old Eskimo with straight blades works better than my fin bore.

Offline PerchEyes

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • The "eyes" have it!
« Reply #16 on: Jan 01, 2013, 12:02 PM »
The problem that I had is that the original blades on the auger were 8 inch Mora blades and they were junk right out of the box. My grandfather has had a 6 inch fine bore for three years now with no problems. I have even used it and it worked great! I was discussing with him and think the problem might be that the 8 inch just isn't good at cutting ice. If my trial with hand sharpening the blades doesn't work (the blades are sharp as hell now, cause I sliced a finger open by accident)- I am going to sell it. Might try a 6 inch Eskimo Barracuda curved blade auger beacuse my old Eskimo with straight blades works better than my fin bore.

If you aren't use to the offset handle then that could be your problem. It's imperative that you keep the auger straight up (perpendicular to ice in all directions) while turn it. It does take some getting used to.
Are you located in CNY?
I'd be willing to meet you once we get ice and see if it doesn't cut for me.
Also, an 8" hand auger is just going to take more muscle than a 6" or 4".

The tug is the drug.

Offline PerchEyes

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • The "eyes" have it!
« Reply #17 on: Jan 01, 2013, 12:03 PM »
Not trying to hijack this thread but maybe some of you Fin-Bore experts can help me with my handle problem:

http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=237221.0
The tug is the drug.

Offline jerrife

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Jan 02, 2013, 07:26 PM »
I have a 6" that I have used for years and I love it
 :thumbsup:
           :thumbsup: BUBBA ARMY :thumbsup:

Offline PerchEyes

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • The "eyes" have it!
« Reply #19 on: Jan 05, 2013, 02:15 PM »
Not trying to hijack this thread but maybe some of you Fin-Bore experts can help me with my handle problem:

http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=237221.0

In case you were losing sleep over it, I fixed my problem.
See link above...
The tug is the drug.

Offline Boli582

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Jan 06, 2013, 09:12 PM »
fin-bore augers are top of the line.  if u want to struggle when drilling, get a mora!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.