Author Topic: Snowmobile Helmet  (Read 1358 times)

Offline brink

• Team IceShanty Regular
Snowmobile Helmet
« on: Dec 15, 2014, 10:07 AM »
Just purchased my first sled and need to buy a helmet.  What make, model, bells, whistles do you all like?  Also, I'm not looking to spend more than $150-175.  Likely limits my options but I won't be needing electronics in the helmet.

Thanks
That's some tasty iced tea.

Offline fishnbud

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Snowmobile Helmet
« Reply #1 on: Dec 15, 2014, 10:15 AM »
i have the fxr torque helmet mx style comes with breath deflector about a $130 i love this helmet 

Offline tswoboda

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 15, 2014, 01:00 PM »
i have the fxr torque helmet mx style comes with breath deflector about a $130 i love this helmet
Hey what's the advantage of an open face helmet/goggles vs a full face helmet?

Modular helmets are awesome.

Offline SKAMPO

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 15, 2014, 03:44 PM »
AFX makes some pretty nice MX style helmets for a fair price. I'm not sure there's any major benefit to a MX vs full face helmet, maybe a little better field of vision through goggles opposed to the shield of a helmet. I think the majority of it is looks and the ability to use it in the summer for quads/bikes.

Offline splaker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 15, 2014, 04:32 PM »
I snowmobile a lot and run both  MX style helmets and full faced versions. The difference is that a MX style helmet is typically lighter weight and your head runs cooler. I only run the full face version when it gets below about -18 celcius/ 0 Fahrenheit in order to avoid frostbite. I much prefer the open type due to less fatigue on long rides, running a cooler head and the option of tailoring my goggle tints to all types of light conditions. Gmax makes some decent helmets at reasonable prices.
Splaker

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Dec 16, 2014, 08:53 AM »
I've always liked HJC helmets and their customer service is excellent

Catchin' Fish

Offline brink

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 16, 2014, 03:00 PM »
For better or worse I went ahead and ordered this helmet.  I am not a rider per se and will use this only half a dozen times per year so it should suit me just fine.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005HTFQI0/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thanks for the replies and information.

Offline JonPerry

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Dec 16, 2014, 04:00 PM »
Skidoo modular helmets are very nice :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Offline macker13

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 19, 2014, 01:58 PM »
I prefer the full face helmet mostly because of the cold.  I wear it even when sledding out to the ice fishing hole.
My nephew has the MX style with goggles and he is always griping about how cold his face gets when we are running trails.   He spends more time monkeying with his clava and gaiter to make sure there's no exposed skin. 
My helmets are HJC. 

Offline SKAMPO

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Dec 20, 2014, 06:30 AM »
For better or worse I went ahead and ordered this helmet.  I am not a rider per se and will use this only half a dozen times per year so it should suit me just fine.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005HTFQI0/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thanks for the replies and information.

Not to be the bearer of bad news but you might not have very good luck with that helmet. That helmet is designed for summer use and doesn't have a dual pane shield so it's going to fog up terribly bad in the cold. Not all helmets are intended for winter use.

Offline brink

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Dec 22, 2014, 10:42 AM »
I appreciate the info SKAMPO.  I'll guess I'll find out.  If it does fog are there ways to rectify the situation?  Anti-fog spray?  Keep the helmet cold before use?  Hold my breath?  ;D

Offline SKAMPO

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Dec 23, 2014, 08:08 AM »
You can leave the visor cracked open a little and that usually lets in enough cooler air to keep the visor from fogging.

Offline Jessechop

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Dec 23, 2014, 08:20 AM »
My girlfriend and I both use this. I love it. I do a lot of back country riding, off trail, deep snow, cold, the whole deal. It keeps me warm, is comfortable and the modular makes it nice to stop and look at a GPS, talk, etc.

http://www.ckxgear.com/usa/helmets/modular/winter/tranz-rsv-solid-47164.html/?sku=305111&color=570

I paid $185 for mine two winters ago, paid $198 for hers a month ago. Most any sled dealer can get them for you

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.