Author Topic: Blue Mesa in the morning  (Read 1161 times)

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
Blue Mesa in the morning
« on: Dec 19, 2013, 08:17 PM »
I am taking a son-in-law who has never ice fished before. After tomorrow I think he will be hooked. Will be in the Dry creek area if anyone else is going to be there.
<===Lefty===

Offline bgflys

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Blue Mesa in the morning
« Reply #1 on: Dec 20, 2013, 07:47 AM »
Heard there was a bit of open water there. Be safe - Good luck!

"B"

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2 on: Dec 20, 2013, 06:12 PM »
Had some fun today. Caught just Rainbows but they were all 15 1/2 -18". Terrible drive over there following Sand Trucks while they plowed. Road was very bad. On the way home the roads were good but the fog was horrible. Trip there and back was bad but the time spent was great. Took a while to dial them in but at the 2:00 time I had them hitting every minute or so. Son-in-law caught 2 of the 18" trout. His first time out ice fishing.

Lake is frozen to the Elk Creek Marina. We only brought home 6 of the fish and released the rest.
Here is one of the Fatties.

<===Lefty===

Offline Sawtooth

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Dec 20, 2013, 06:21 PM »
Had some fun today. Caught just Rainbows but they were all 15 1/2 -18". Terrible drive over there following Sand Trucks while they plowed. Road was very bad. On the way home the roads were good but the fog was horrible. Trip there and back was bad but the time spent was great. Took a while to dial them in but at the 2:00 time I had them hitting every minute or so. Son-in-law caught 2 of the 18" trout. His first time out ice fishing.

Lake is frozen to the Elk Creek Marina. We only brought home 6 of the fish and released the rest.
Here is one of the Fatties.

So glad he had a great first experience, Lefty.  The future bodes well for his continued hard water fun.   
There is no such thing as bad weather - only bad clothing.

Offline brown-time

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Jig one up for me
« Reply #4 on: Dec 20, 2013, 06:48 PM »
Glad the rookie had a great 1st trip  hitting there next weekend n Crawford tomorrow. Will report tomorrow night. We may hit some rocky points close by to get browns n lakers at Dry Creek. Anyone else fishing there or hear of perch?

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #5 on: Dec 20, 2013, 07:22 PM »
Son-in-law already is going to see if his wife my daughter will buy him a Hub. He is hooked for life now. Love seeing the look on their face when the ice cracks under foot.
<===Lefty===

Offline michael schendel

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Dec 21, 2013, 11:27 AM »
Yo,  You should have know the passes were going to be bad driving when it was snowing in the valley. 

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #7 on: Dec 21, 2013, 12:47 PM »
Yo,  You should have know the passes were going to be bad driving when it was snowing in the valley.

Wasn't snowing at all when I left.And I don't watch the news much and or care about conditions. I just  get up and go. The main thing is I had a great time while there.
<===Lefty===

Offline elkdeerbear

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 21, 2013, 03:27 PM »
Thanks for the report. We'll be heading there soon.

Offline brown-time

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Jig one up for me
« Reply #9 on: Dec 21, 2013, 10:57 PM »
My buddy and two other guys fished Willow Creek at Sometimes island n caught 24 decent rainbows averaging about 15 " at 15 fow

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #10 on: Dec 22, 2013, 07:31 AM »
There was a bunch of people in that area the other day. I drilled holes with in 10 feet from shore and found 16 FOW. Big drop off there.Most of the fish I caught were at 12 Down at 28 FOW.
<===Lefty===

Offline bgflys

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Dec 23, 2013, 11:23 AM »
Good to get him hooked! Glad he had a great experience. If anything you'll have someone wanting to go with you all the time now. Great job!

"B"

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.