Author Topic: BIG fish  (Read 1080 times)

Offline Iceaddict12

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice drinking never disappoints.
BIG fish
« on: Dec 11, 2013, 08:53 PM »
I have been fishing for pan fish for my entire life, as that is what my father enjoys, and, quite frankly, I am SICK of it. I have caught a number of eyes, pike and bass. It has always been on accident, though. I have never targeted those fish. I have hundreds, maybe even thousands of hours of ice time, but I want to switch it up this year. So Please give me any and every tip regarding big fish that you are willing to share (tackle, depth, technique, structure, etc..). Dont get me wrong, I love the little guys, but I want MONSTERS.
"God gave light so we could fish in the dark."

Offline tightliner812

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: BIG fish
« Reply #1 on: Dec 11, 2013, 09:02 PM »
Sounds like you need bigger bait .

your best bet would start reading through the fish boards . There is a lot of good info in these boards from rod / tip up set up to where to look for them .

Offline dachmation

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #2 on: Dec 11, 2013, 09:18 PM »
Seeing as where you are from, Big Bay, you are right in BIGGG Eye country, Big and Little Bay are soe of the best walleye fishing areas.

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
« Reply #3 on: Dec 11, 2013, 09:50 PM »
I to have caught lots of pan fish thru the ice, but for me they have just been something to do between the "Bigger" fish... I have done very well over the years with using bigger shiners on my tip ups with (were legal) quick strike rigs. I go through a lot less bait and hook more fish in the lips! Past couple years I have switched my focus to more big fish on the jigging rod, again having great luck with bigger jigs, getting me bigger fish (consistently), with the Chubby Darter really paying off. This year I am upping my "game" with a even bigger jig;

Offline pimplejigger84

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 11, 2013, 10:37 PM »
 :o whoa!!! That is a huuuuuuge chubby you got there! Is that one of those new XL, giant, super, chubby darters that I have been hearing about this year? What does that thing weigh? Seems like it may take even longer than a regular chubby darter to get down to the bottom, no?

Offline pimplejigger84

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 11, 2013, 10:39 PM »
I have been fishing for pan fish for my entire life, as that is what my father enjoys, and, quite frankly, I am SICK of it. I have caught a number of eyes, pike and bass. It has always been on accident, though. I have never targeted those fish. I have hundreds, maybe even thousands of hours of ice time, but I want to switch it up this year. So Please give me any and every tip regarding big fish that you are willing to share (tackle, depth, technique, structure, etc..). Dont get me wrong, I love the little guys, but I want MONSTERS.

X2 on what Tightliner 812 said. All the information you would ever need is on here right at your fingertips. Check out Youtube videos. Find out where those large fish are and target them. Try to match what their natural prey are.

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
« Reply #6 on: Dec 11, 2013, 10:47 PM »
Giant Chubby Darter, 3.5 oz 5.5" long...

Offline pimplejigger84

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 11, 2013, 10:56 PM »
Wow, that's heavy. The extra weight must help get it down there. Good luck! One thing's for sure... if something takes that it going to be huge!

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
« Reply #8 on: Dec 11, 2013, 11:05 PM »
I can't wait to set those hooks in to a fish!

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #9 on: Dec 12, 2013, 04:06 AM »
The search function is your friend

WS

Offline Iceaddict12

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Dec 12, 2013, 09:20 AM »
I to have caught lots of pan fish thru the ice, but for me they have just been something to do between the "Bigger" fish... I have done very well over the years with using bigger shiners on my tip ups with (were legal) quick strike rigs. I go through a lot less bait and hook more fish in the lips! Past couple years I have switched my focus to more big fish on the jigging rod, again having great luck with bigger jigs, getting me bigger fish (consistently), with the Chubby Darter really paying off. This year I am upping my "game" with a even bigger jig;

When you say jig, are you talking like rapalas or pimples or what?

Offline Iceaddict12

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Dec 12, 2013, 09:22 AM »
Seeing as where you are from, Big Bay, you are right in BIGGG Eye country, Big and Little Bay are soe of the best walleye fishing areas.

Haha, wrong big bay. I was referring to the Big Bay in Powell Township, a hop skip and a jump from yourself. That too is eye county, but I will be on Big Bay de Noc this weekend, I just need insight on targeting them. I understand the tipup concept, but i want one on a rod.

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
« Reply #12 on: Dec 12, 2013, 09:55 AM »
For me Pimples have only caught a few big fish and the rapalas even less, But jigging the Chubby Darter have been a game changer!

Offline Iceaddict12

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Dec 12, 2013, 01:47 PM »
When you say jig, are you talking like rapalas or pimples or what?

Sorry I didn't see the picture until just now.

Offline fishermantim

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Dec 12, 2013, 05:19 PM »
You have to consider "upping" your game.
Bigger baits / lures are a good start.
Consider where you will be fishing. If you are generally catching panfish and only on rare occaisions are you getting  bigger fish, consider a new location where the big fish are prone to hunt and hang out.

Sure you could stay at the "tried and true" spots, but maybe add a new spot or two so you have an added option for pursuing monsters.
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy" - the Existential Blues

I am a legend in my own mind!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.