The ice fishing MN boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: plankton  (Read 1785 times)

bucket_butt

plankton
« on: Dec 17, 2003, 07:19 PM »
I fish up at our lake place near brainerd, small lake 150 acre or so,spring feed, no flowage, alot of the bottom is carpeted with dead vegitation. Come the evening , lite getting dim my FL 18 starts picking up cluter. The darker it gets the more cluter. It get bad enough that my bait is very hard to find. The clutter ranges from the bottom of my 40 ft hole to about 20 ft. I am able to get crappie action in the 20 to 30 ft range. I talked to the local bait shop about my clutter and he said that its plankton. Said  plankton starts to get active in the low lite hours an real active at dark. Can any one else go along with this thery ???

Big O

Re:plankton
« Reply #1 on: Dec 17, 2003, 08:28 PM »
I don't know about this plankton deal, but I read in In-Fisherman that there are critters that move up and down during the day, and different ones that move up and down during the night. I'd bet a few of my best jigs that there's a connection there for you.

willowcat

« Reply #2 on: Dec 18, 2003, 03:07 PM »
 I've had tis happen , When the sun was going down A large school of what looked like carp swam through. They stirred up the bottom and my Vex went from reading bottom of 6' to a bottom of 2'. This has happend about three times now,same place,same time of day. Very strange.  

Offline ojib2003

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #3 on: Jan 08, 2004, 04:42 PM »
Yes..........i believe the plankton theory to be very true!....i know what you are talkin about with your vex getten screwed up readings.  I also have a aqua vu and as the light gets less u can actually see the plankton become more active.

Jiggathon

Re: plankton
« Reply #4 on: Jan 14, 2005, 11:45 AM »
Yep its plankton alright it sucks but you got to live with it. maybe try shutting that vexlar off and practice your freehand like in the old days before they were invented!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.