Author Topic: Anchorage area lakes  (Read 1156 times)

Offline wild4ak

• IceShanty Rookie
Anchorage area lakes
« on: Nov 02, 2011, 10:59 AM »
I took a drive yesterday and most of the lakes in the anchorage area are covered.  A couple of them still have some small spots that look slushy.  I cant wait for it to get thick enough to get out there on it.  I'm starting to twitch and have that creepy rocking back and forth I NEED ICE!!! I was so ready to go fishing last weekend I armoraled the auger after I sharpened the blades.  ;D

Offline wild4ak

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Anchorage area lakes
« Reply #1 on: Nov 06, 2011, 03:55 PM »
Has anyone checked the anchorage/matsu lakes for ice depth and condition? I think I'm going to punch some test holes next weekend.

Offline akdube

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Nov 06, 2011, 03:59 PM »
Weve got about 4 1/2 inchs on "my" lake but now we have 8 inchs of snow as well. Meadow lakes area

Offline jiggenfrogs

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Nov 06, 2011, 04:20 PM »
Caught a few rainbows Thur. in the valley, about 4'' of ice.
If you wantah be a fishah you gotah smoke a swishah!

Offline Akhardwater

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Nov 06, 2011, 04:42 PM »
Went to Long yesterday and it had 2and a half to 3 inches.  The main lake froze over while we were out there.  Jkw caught an nice fish but I'll let him talk about it.  Bonnie lake had 4-5 inches on it.  We got into the grayling pretty good.  Got to try out the new showdown ice troller and I am very satisfied with it.  This new snow is really going to slow down the ice making process.  Be carefull the added snow weight on thin ice is a recipe for disaster.
I was born an Alaskan I just didn't live here at the time.

Offline wild4ak

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Nov 06, 2011, 07:07 PM »
Thanks for the reports on the condition of the ice.  As long as the temps stay down I'm going to give it a go this next weekend.  I have ordered the ice troller I hope it gets in before I go.

Offline ShortStick

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Nov 13, 2011, 10:39 AM »
So, how does the ice troller work?  Hope you found some good ice and were able to give it a go. Would love to hear a report that there is fishable ice in the Anchorage area.

Offline wild4ak

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Nov 14, 2011, 02:27 PM »
I went out to meadow lakes area this weekend. The ice was about 6" and clear as glass. About 8" of snow.  There was a LOT of over flow on top from some creeks running into the lake.  So I did not continue out on the ice to fish.  I was only standing over 2.5 ft of water but had time to play with the ice troller so far I'm liking what I'm seeing. Shooting trough the ice is as easy as a splash of water from a bottle to wet the ice and it reads great through the ice. I hope to get som fishing done next week.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.