Author Topic: Woke up at 3 am this morning with the dog wanting out.  (Read 1462 times)

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
So I let the dog out and she started barking right away and then I heard 2 other dogs barking over by her. Got her inside right away.  THen used a good flash light and scanned the yard. Saw 2 eyes set wide apart and then heard a weird sound. Thought it was a Bear and then looked up the noise on the internet(yeah couldn't sleep anymore). Turned out the noise was from a deer. Wife watched the eyes and said it looked like the animal jumped. About 20 minutes go by and took the dog with me and searched the yard and found blood all over the place. Walking back to the house I saw the deer laying in the flower bed. Definately injured. Got the dog in right away again. Called CPS(COlorado State patrol because the DOW was closed and a recording told me to call CSP. CLosed so a County Sherriff came out and looked at the deer. Said he couldn't dicharge his gun to put it down because it was too close to the house.The deer drug itself under a field fence to get away from those other dogs who left the sceen. Finally got a hold of CSP and they said to Call DOW again at 8am. In the mean time I called my neighbor and had him put the deer down. The animal suffered enough for over 4 hours in my yard with a broken leg and what looked like dogs tore into it's hind end. We looked over the animal and found another hole in it's neck. Not sure what that is from though. So now I get a hold of DOW and they said they would have someone get ahold of me which they still haven't 2 1/2 hours later.   I told them I had the animal put out of it's misery and wanted to know what to do next. They said Double bag it and through it into a dumpster.  I said wait a minute my wife and I are in our 60's and she assured me someone would call me. Still waiting. The deer drug itself under a field fence to get away from those other dogs who left the sceen. SO I guess the DOW figures it is my problem when I did everything I should have done the right way. By the way the neighbor said he didn't want any of the meat because of the stress it had been through. Just a post to say how disappointed I am at the DOW.
<===Lefty===

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
Re: Woke up at 3 am this morning with the dog wanting out.
« Reply #1 on: Sep 24, 2019, 12:07 PM »
If it had been me I'd have dispatched the suffering critter immediately, close to the house or not. Then I'd make the call, explain the situation and get a tag and turn what was left into dinners and sausages. Legal or whatever I can't abide by letting any animal suffer unnecessarily or wantonly waste game.

I've euthanized 3 deer I've come upon dog paddling in the middle of the highway over the years. Walked up from behind, put the .22 pistol between their ears and moved the potential road hazard to the ditch. LEOs have told me it's the right thing to do but in this state if the DNR caught me it would be a ticket and fine at the very least. Still, I'm not driving on knowing that animal is going to thrash itself to death if some inattentive bozo doesn't crack it again because it's still in the middle of the road.

FWIW I don't have much confidence in LEOs ability to handle these situations efficiently (no disrespect to anyone in the field here). Came on a deer/car crash and stopped to see if I could help. Deer was still alive crawling into the corn field. They'd called the cops already and they showed up right after I stopped. I told 'em I was going to take care of the deer if they hadn't come and they told me they had it. I watched the dopey cop empty his Glock at the critter from about 20 feet. never hit the deer once. I left...  ::)

In your case I guess coyotes, wolves, lions, crows, eagles and bears gotta eat too. Something will clean it up before too long. Wouldn't let the puppies run around outside unsupervised till it's gone. It's gotta be unsettling to see your tax dollars aren't working the way they oughta.
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline jimhaney08

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Sep 24, 2019, 01:02 PM »
That's disappointing.  I know in Pennsylvania you're not allowed to put an animal out of it's misery either.  It's a shame.  Do they want the animal to suffer?  I think anyone with a hunting license or concealed carry permit should be allowed to.  Hope it works out for you Lefty.
My Setup:  Otter XL sled on a smitty.  10" Strikemaster Lithium 50 Volt auger.  Clam Bigfoot XL 2000 hub.  Garmin Striker 5 Ice Bundle.

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Sep 24, 2019, 01:12 PM »
A dumpster? Sounds like Colorado needs HUSH
https://www.foodbankiowa.org/make-a-difference/donate-food/hush

Catchin' Fish

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
« Reply #4 on: Sep 24, 2019, 02:18 PM »
Wow! Reading this made me sick! Is the DOW the game wardens in Colorado? Sorry you had to go through that! Glad the critter got put down! Pretty sad!
Keep it safe! JDL

Offline Philip

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Sep 24, 2019, 04:46 PM »
In IL if you discharged a firearm near a roadway and killed a suffering deer out of season, or w/o tag, you'd probably rather be the deer.  :-\

If I was a cop and I came across someone who put a suffering animal down, I would look the other way. I had to wring a dying ducks neck at work because they wouldnt send anyone. Im just going to leave it there on the beach in the hot sun in front of everyone suffering?

I've had very varied results when dealing with LEOs and wildlife, a lot of it comes down to the individual and if they are willing to go above and beyond. I know a female office from a couple towns away who would happily remove a frog from your backyard if you asked lol. 
Team Comfy Skunks

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #6 on: Sep 24, 2019, 04:56 PM »
"Allowed" and "doing the right thing" are completely different here in WI and most other places I expect. To me, if the still conscious creature is in the roadway it becomes a matter of public safety. I'd take my chances and go to court just to get the story out. I understand "why" the rules are but know very well that my intentions would be nothing but well meaning. Once in a great while you can get a court to rule based on intent rather than the letter of the law.
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline ran7ger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Sep 24, 2019, 06:45 PM »
 a friend of mine up here is first responder.  got a call in the middle of the night to a vehicle/moose smash up.  the moose was still alive in the ditch but mangled so the conservation officer showed up, dispatched the animal and help load the carcass up so my buddy could make use of what he could.  simple.  the way it should be.  o canada!

Offline badbrad2186

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Sep 24, 2019, 09:49 PM »
Here in NY well at least in tr he county I hunt all the DEC officers and police would welcome someone else killing a suffering animal. We once hit a dog when I was about 16 or so called cops cop came out said dog was to mangled was going to die anyways. He stood 5 feet from it and shot first time missed shot second time missed shot 3rd time missed. Before his 4th shot I said damn I like my odds if I had to run from you. I told him If you miss that dog a 4th time your better quit your job. He then radios I'm shots fired animal terminated. I then said to him you should have said shots fired but I suck at life and couldn't hit the broad side of a barn.
If you sit around all day and do nothing your a bum, but if you sit in a boat all day or in a shanty and do nothing they call you a fisherman

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #9 on: Sep 25, 2019, 05:50 AM »
Wow! Reading this made me sick! Is the DOW the game wardens in Colorado? Sorry you had to go through that! Glad the critter got put down! Pretty sad!
Keep it safe! JDL
Yes DOW is Department of Wildlife. The Game Wardens work for them.
<===Lefty===

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #10 on: Sep 25, 2019, 06:04 AM »
Update. DOW never called. Animal was put down by my neighbor with a 44 Mag. That is one big pistol. So the wife and I drug the deer onto my trailer and took it to the dump. The lady at the weigh in told me to go ahead and would have someone meet me down there. Get down to the dump and a guy drives up to me and say's see that orange cone. I said yes. He said that is the dead area just dump it there. They dig out a spot in the regular dump for dead animals and you just throw them in a semi-hole. It was the worst thing you can imagine including the smell and I told the wife to stay in the truck. I had the deer folded up in a tarp. I couldn't get the strap off fast enough and shove the deer into that hole. I still had that smell in my nose all the way home. THere were parts of animals and bones and the whole 10 yards in that hole. I even had to wash off my mushtash to get that smell out.
Just before I dump the deer there, I told it I was sorry he had to rest here. I found out there is a Game warden that lives about 1 mile from me. If any thing like this ever happens again I will drag the deer down to his front yard and leave it there.
<===Lefty===

Offline Philip

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Sep 25, 2019, 09:51 AM »
Lefty, sorry you had to deal with all this. Sounds like a rough situation all around, especially at the dump. You had the right intentions and did more then you should have had to; hopefully the forest spirits bring blessings your way  :-\
Team Comfy Skunks

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #12 on: Sep 25, 2019, 11:49 AM »
Lefty, sorry you had to deal with all this. Sounds like a rough situation all around, especially at the dump. You had the right intentions and did more then you should have had to; hopefully the forest spirits bring blessings your way  :-\
Thanks, THe wife and I had fear because we thought it was a bear at first, Sadness for the deer, anxiety over this, sorrow for the end of the deer and mostly anger at the process I had to go through just to get anything done. Well the wife and I did everything and the people that want you to contact them in the right manner just failed to help.
<===Lefty===

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.