The ice fishing Wisconsin boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: White Sand Lake - Lac Du Flambeau  (Read 1154 times)

Offline beergoggles7

• IceShanty Rookie
White Sand Lake - Lac Du Flambeau
« on: Dec 17, 2010, 08:20 PM »
Hi fellow ice enthusiasts.  I am a student at UW-Madison and am itching to get out on the hard water.  Over winter break my friends and I are taking our annual ice fishing trip and decided on White Sand Lake.  I know its clear and deep, but I'm not entirely sure how to have success on it during the winter months.  Any info on general areas, depths, what to fish for, ect. would be great.

Beergoggles

Offline Wiener

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Warranty Void if Seal is Broken
Re: White Sand Lake - Lac Du Flambeau
« Reply #1 on: Dec 18, 2010, 09:01 AM »
White Sand Lake, Vilas County.
1,229 Acres
Max depth 63 feet.
Featured Species:  Muskie, Hybrid Muskie, Walleye, Smallmouth Bass, Northern Pike, perch, and Whitefish.
Water is extremely clear, the bottom is mostly sand with scattered areas of rock and gravel.
Weeds:  There are heavy growths of coontail and cabbage weed down to about 15 feet.

I don't know where you'll be getting on the ice, but if you start at the boat landing off Highway "H", -
The entire shoreline is rock and gravel.
To the west of the boat landing is a small point that drops quickly into 30 feet of water.  This is a mix of sand and gravel, along with scattered weeds.
This has been o.k. for perch and the occasional Walleye.

The entrance to Dollards Bay is a decent spot to try for Walleye and Northern Pike.

You could also try the inlet (I think it is named sunfish creek) 
This has fish cribs and weeds in this area.  Also try the bay and entrance to Little Sand Lake.

These are a few of the area(s) that I can remember. 
I remember that the lake has lots of structure, drop offs and rock humps that come up right close to the surface (within 3 feet or so)
Most of the people that were out there were fishing the mid lake rock bars - Dillman's Bar and the point right across from the boat landing.

The water is extremely clear.  So use small treble hooks, Fluorocarbon fishing line for leaders and keep your leaders long. (5 feet +)
If it is a really sunny day, you may need to use hole covers or keep the windows in your shack closed to have any luck.

Hope this helps,

Wiener

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.