Author Topic: Spent this beautiful day out on the ice with good friends  (Read 1690 times)

Offline SmellsLikeFishNH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
As much as me and Banman like to pick on each other, we are the best of buds and got to spend the day fishing together on Lake X. Big Jim, Brad and Brad's buddy Ronnie all joined us on Lake X. I said it last week when I went out there and should of stuck to my guns...I think the place is ALL FISHED OUT!! :-(

With 5 of us on the ice, 30 Traps or jigging all over the Northside of the lake, and not a single fish to show for it. Such a shame with such a nice day out. We must of drilled 50-60 holes and moved all over. Had about 6 flags all day and one took about 75 feet of line out on me before i got to the trap but spit as I tried to set the hook.

No pictures cause there was nothing to take pix of.

Better than a day at work!!!

Jiffy Pro 4 Propane Auger update:
Two words... LOVE IT!!!!

Still not a single problem with it, starts first pull EVERY time and I am STILL on the 1st can of propane. We have easily drilled 100+ holes with it. I'm guessing closer to 150....most of the holes drilled through 7-8" of ice. So far worth EVERY PENNY!! Oh and I'm getting bigger biceps cause no matter how good it is, its STILL freaking Heavy LOL

-Scott

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
Re: Spent this beautiful day out on the ice with good friends
« Reply #1 on: Jan 03, 2011, 07:11 PM »
I think the place is ALL FISHED OUT!! :-(

With 5 of us on the ice, 30 Traps or jigging all over the Northside of the lake, and not a single fish to show for it. Such a shame with such a nice day out. We must of drilled 50-60 holes and moved all over. Had about 6 flags all day and one took about 75 feet of line out on me before i got to the trap but spit as I tried to set the hook.

No pictures cause there was nothing to take pix of.

-Scott

:'(

JIGGIN.

Offline Guinea

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 03, 2011, 07:22 PM »
Ya know, I never catch anything, but on these gorgeous days it's just great to be out! Okay, there's no fish left. You can get off my lake now. lol just kidding. But seriously get off my lake. ;)
Thinkin 'bout cusk on the grill......

Offline Capt. Black

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "Deserves got nothing to do with it."
« Reply #3 on: Jan 04, 2011, 05:26 AM »
Ya know, I never catch anything, but on these gorgeous days it's just great to be out! Okay, there's no fish left. You can get off my lake now. lol just kidding. But seriously get off my lake. ;)
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;)

Capt. Black

Offline SmellsLikeFishNH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 04, 2011, 07:05 AM »

Trust me Guinea, I am done with that place for the year!! :-)

We met and talked with the guy in the A Frame, nice guy!! Also the crazy lady with the wolfhound started trying to explain to us why the ice cracks...she was a real nice one :-)

Offline wautuhguy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jan 04, 2011, 07:34 AM »
Maybe should change name to lake 0. 

Offline Patsfan

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 04, 2011, 07:35 AM »
I happened to be on the same lake on the other end.  Think one of your buddies swung by and talked to us.  He was really nice and gave us a few tips for some other lakes we want to try this year.
Only two of us and we had 5 flags but kept losing them in branches.  I did pull a branch out and had one snap my line around a branch.  My first time to lake x but I may try it again someday.  It was a beautiful day unless you count the wind.  I didn't think it was going to be windy so I didn't bring my pop up...won't make that mistake twice...

Offline SmellsLikeFishNH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 04, 2011, 08:06 AM »
Yes,
That was Big Jim, he said he stopped over and said hello to you guys. Sorry I didn't make it over myself to say hello. Was that your first time there? OK so that makes 7 of us and 40 traps and no fish LOL

So frustrating!!!

Good luck the rest of your winter, I have to go away for work the next few weeks and wont be able to fish until I get back at the beginning of February.

-Scott

Offline Patsfan

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 04, 2011, 10:13 AM »
Yeah that was my first time.  Nice place but parking is difficult.  Water is crystal clear.  We had a small brook near us and unfortunately branches.  First flag I had the fish felt nice but got tangled.  It's a slow fishing place I think but I'm betting it offers quality fish from what I felt.

We may try it again later on but we are also going to go to Newfound first chance we get...I'll try to catch them all while you're away...lol

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #9 on: Jan 04, 2011, 11:09 AM »
So frustrating!!!
-Scott

Welcome to Trout fishing.

JIGGIN.

Offline duck doctor

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Jan 04, 2011, 11:12 AM »

JIGGIN.

I'll second that!

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #11 on: Jan 04, 2011, 11:23 AM »
Also the crazy lady with the wolfhound started trying to explain to us why the ice cracks...she was a real nice one :-)

Her name is Gretchen.

She's the one that scared me at 5:00 am in the morning during the dark. Snuck right up on me. Never heard her till she was right there. Looked up with my head light on when she spoke and that's who I saw. I thought for sure it was mother nature looking to kick my a$$. Then she told me her name, that didn't make me feel any more comfortable.

Turns out she was really nice and extremely knowledgeable about worldly things. Interesting to talk to.

Got to admit, didn't care for the dog too much, glad she didn't have it when she came out in the dark. Just not my kind of dog that's all. Fed it some live tip up suckers cause she asked if it was alright. Not my redfins though.

JIGGIN.

Offline SmellsLikeFishNH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Jan 04, 2011, 11:30 AM »
The guy in the A frame says she has been there for 30 years and used to harass his dad LOL says she is the "Caretaker" of the property on that back side of the lake. I thought for sure she was gonna ask us for some bait fish too after you told us that story LOL she didnt, just went into the reasons for Ice making the cracking sounds LOL

she seemed harmless to me. :-) that dog though, ouch!! He could be a handful!!

Offline Capt. Black

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "Deserves got nothing to do with it."
« Reply #13 on: Jan 04, 2011, 01:07 PM »
she seemed harmless to me. :-) that dog though, ouch!! He could be a handful!!

She's the one that scared me at 5:00 am in the morning during the dark. Snuck right up on me. Never heard her till she was right there. Looked up with my head light on when she spoke and that's who I saw. I thought for sure it was mother nature looking to kick my a$$. 

Sounds like she cast a spell on you two. :o ;)

Capt. Black

Offline NH Trout Fisherman

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Jan 04, 2011, 04:35 PM »

JIGGIN.

X3

Offline Guinea

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Jan 04, 2011, 07:30 PM »
You guys don't even know! I havent caught a trout through the ice since Feb! I might have had two in Dec if I hadnt mis-tied my leaders...
Thinkin 'bout cusk on the grill......

Offline SmellsLikeFishNH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Jan 05, 2011, 07:11 AM »
LOL are you sure you havent been fishing with Banman??

Offline bassranger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Jan 05, 2011, 07:41 AM »
I can see why you guy's keep this place a secret sounds like a real hot spot. ;D ;D ;D ;D
If I'm not fishing then I'm not happy

Offline SmellsLikeFishNH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Jan 05, 2011, 07:48 AM »
Its got amazing fish when you catch them.....all of these were caught there 2 weeks ago.

Offline Patsfan

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Jan 05, 2011, 09:41 AM »
you ever fish that side I was on by the stream coming in or do you fish mainly the side you were on?  I was thinking next time trying to the left by the blue pop up shack.  Not sure if that was the same crew with you or not.

Offline trmotorsports

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Jan 05, 2011, 10:11 AM »
LOL, that lady snuck up on me one morning in the dark as well, just after that I got a nice fish on and lost it by the hole.
That lake is so hot and cold it isnt funny. I have caught a couple nice brookies there this year, so I talked a couple buddies into going over last friday. They had a couple flags all day but no fish. I did jig up a 18" brookie while they watched.
One buddy had been over twice with me and never caught anything. Not sure if I can drag him over there again.....
Nice lake, nice people, everyone I have talked to over there has been real nice.
Never seen water so clean either, its pretty cool
Tyler

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.