Author Topic: Jack traps standard vs cross  (Read 1416 times)

Offline sploke

• Team IceShanty Regular
Jack traps standard vs cross
« on: Oct 31, 2022, 02:46 PM »
I've always fished with the old tag sale variety of cross-style tip-ups.  Old, green colored wood with a small steel reel.  They are getting plenty beat up, and I'm looking for some replacements.  I've been shopping the Jack Traps for several seasons now, but haven't pulled the trigger yet.  Are there any major usage differences between the cross style and standard style jack traps?  Is it just a personal preference thing?  The website says they're slightly lighter than the standard style, but not much how much.  Not sure it would make a difference with all the other crap that gets piled into the sled...
-Matt

Offline George_B

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Always looking for new tip-up variations !!
Re: Jack traps standard vs cross
« Reply #1 on: Nov 01, 2022, 12:00 AM »
Take a look at:
Heritage Tip Ups
HT Products / Extreme Tackle
Indian Hill Tip Ups
To name a few, had a Jack Trap to experiment with but found it difficult to set the flag especially with gloves. Just my opinion and personal usage.

Offline sploke

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Nov 01, 2022, 06:08 AM »
Take a look at:
Heritage Tip Ups
HT Products / Extreme Tackle
Indian Hill Tip Ups
To name a few, had a Jack Trap to experiment with but found it difficult to set the flag especially with gloves. Just my opinion and personal usage.

I have an HT clone of the Heritage Lakers...I'm honestly not a fan.  They are bigger and bulkier, you have to take the flag off to store them, and the trip sensitivity is pretty heavy compared to all my other traps.  The upside is it has a big 4" reel so it was convenient in deep water, but I don't think I'd go with a full set of them.

On the other hand...I definitely hear you on the gloves thing with Jack Traps.  A bunch of my buddies have them and I've seen them struggle with the same thing.  That little split ring on the end of the flag requires some dexterity.
-Matt

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Nov 01, 2022, 07:53 AM »
I've got a dozen Jack Traps in 21" and 31", all the standard "H" style. They are 1 of the best traps on the market in my opinion. The spools roll super smooth, the flag release is gentle so not to shake the trap or hang up when triggered. Wind flags are pretty much impossible the way the flag holder is made, but as mentioned hooking the split ring is a bit tougher with gloves on, I never wear gloves so it's not an issue for me. The fit, finish, and build quality is well worth the price. I'm quite certain the ones I have will outlast me...
"May your lines be tight and never be tangled" (old Frankish Proverb)  Guinea 2021

Offline eiderz

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Nov 08, 2022, 01:11 PM »
Matt,

I have several sets of the standard H style at the place in ME. My favorites are the 31" with 4" spool because the spool is far enough below water level to resist being frozen in. Hard to beat them for trout/salmon IMO. For me the drawback is they don't accept a light on the flag wire for night walleye so I use cheapo HT Polars for that. There are three pieces of wood in either JackTrap style tipup, therefore I don't think there can be a significant weight difference. IMO the H style is easier to setup and break down, but that's a can of worms. If you do decide to buy Jack Traps, do yourself a favor and drive to their store. Maybe call ahead to confirm, but they can usually set up what you want while you wait.

Offline burtmcgurt

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Nov 08, 2022, 08:40 PM »
Second everything eiderz said with the addition that I also have a set of their 20” h style traps with 3” reels as well for very early ice and when I take young kids out with me on non-frigid days.

The 20” traps are great for shallow water brookies, take up no room in my car, and are easier for the kids to handle.

Offline Alex Delarge

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Nov 08, 2022, 09:58 PM »
I’ll echo George, jacks are a pita to set with gloves on and if your vision is impaired due to adult beverages forget about it. I like the heritage, flag stands straight up and not horizontal like jacks
It must be something in the water.

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #7 on: Nov 09, 2022, 07:20 AM »
I grew up with and started with cross-style tip-ups. I have tried many different styles and brands of tip-ups. I still prefer the cross-style tip-ups and the Heritage fits the bill for me, both quality and value-wise. Also for me the cross-style tip-ups store and setup with more ease. And if you have snowmobiles about or significant amounts of snow, visibility is a plus...
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.