Author Topic: target separation  (Read 7074 times)

Offline 74redone

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • "EVERYDAY IS A HOLIDAY"
target separation
« on: Mar 15, 2013, 05:14 AM »
Okay I'm kicking around three different flashers for next season. They all have different target separation. I was wondering if this is just a marketing ploy to get you to think there unit is better than others, or is it vital to have the least amount that you can have?Most of the time a fish comes in I watch my pole or wait for tug. The three units I'm looking at are the Ice 55, LX 7 and the FL22HD. The target separation I believe is the same on the LX 7 and FL22HD 1/2". The Bird is 2". Is this really worth the extra $$$$ for the smaller separation?
 Thanks guys!
  Matt

Offline buz23

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: target separation
« Reply #1 on: Mar 15, 2013, 06:38 AM »
I just got an LX-7 and while I appreciate the good target separation, what I really like is the chart display, particularly in zoom mode.  I find it much easier to use than the simulated circular or vertical flashers.  Having the target remain on the screen for a while makes it so much easier to decipher what's going on.   So I would look for a locator that had a chart display (the Marcums aren't the only ones) , and then worry about target separation.

Offline 74redone

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Mar 15, 2013, 06:43 AM »
Does target separation stay at a 1/2" in chart mode?

Offline hamms

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Mar 15, 2013, 09:23 AM »
Besides the target separation which I find to be nice when fishing large schools. You can choose between fish in the school instead of fishing a large target the lx7 shines in this case. Fishing bottom huggers is another case when the separation is a nice thing to have. Also the way each unit displays is another factor. If you liked the fl22 why you sell? I went through a few units in last couple years and I really like the lx7.
Fishin red lines

Offline walkndude

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Mar 15, 2013, 11:30 AM »
I agree with hams, the separation difference shine more in fishing tight schools than when fish are on your jig. Fine separation means not losing your jig in in a blob of fish in those situations, it's also very helpful when they are hugging the bottom and you're getting a false bottom return. I switch back and forth from a troller 2.0 and an fl22 hd and if I don't match up the depth readout with the scale on the side I'll miss thick schools of perch everytime without sending something down to check, that just doesn't happen with my vex. The better separation also helps keep the bottom from just "growing", instead showing more individual fish. The troller has really shown me what an effect separation has on target id for the simple fact it can only show 2" separation in the 0-20 range and that separation doubles everytime you go up to the next range(unless in zoom mode).

Offline buz23

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Mar 16, 2013, 05:02 AM »
Does target separation stay at a 1/2" in chart mode?

I'm pretty sure that the chart is exactly the same as a vertical display with time added on the x axis.  I tend to fish with the sensitivity up some so target separation is not maximized as targets become more like blobs.  I fish with two jigs and typically the bottom one gets lost in the bottom clutter except when I jig it.  You can see multiple fish and it is very plain when one peels off and goes for the upper jig.

Offline Fisherman-Andy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Mar 16, 2013, 11:14 PM »
The target separation I believe is the same on the LX 7 and FL22HD 1/2". The Bird is 2". Is this really worth the extra $$$$ for the smaller separation?
 Thanks guys!
  Matt

I thought the target separation on the FL22 is at 1"? 

Offline walkndude

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Mar 16, 2013, 11:44 PM »
Less than 1/4" on the fl-22.

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Mar 17, 2013, 09:04 AM »
Less than 1/4" on the fl-22.

Your confusing ID and seperationg, 22 has around 1" seperation but it still lacks the fine lines and definition of the 5,6,7 Marcum line up.....

Offline walkndude

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Mar 17, 2013, 01:25 PM »
Ah, yes I am -but my dad is still way stronger than yours...

Offline 74redone

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Mar 17, 2013, 04:30 PM »
Oh yeah well my dad is still stronger than both urs! LMAO!

Ah, yes I am -but my dad is still way stronger than yours...

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Mar 17, 2013, 07:05 PM »
Not fair picking on a 77 year old man like that...

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #12 on: Mar 19, 2013, 06:54 AM »

look at all the models marcum,humming bird , Lowrance,and vex , lots of choices out there and prices from the 3's to 1,300.00  ;D

Offline Bull Giller

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Mar 19, 2013, 09:20 PM »
Target separation is overrated IMHO
Retired full-time Mille Lacs Guide now chasing my favorite panfish.
Honda Foreman 450ES
Polaris 600 Indy XCR 

Offline walkndude

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Mar 19, 2013, 10:24 PM »
There are much more important considerations, the ten ft. range intervals on the 22 mean a lot more to me than almost anything else beyond a unit actually turning on and functioning correctly. I've waited a long time to not be tied to the 20-40-60 etc. ranges on a mechanical unit. I spend most of my time in the 6-9ft and 20-25ft areas and actually getting to use the majority of a big dial is an absolute joy, hope Marcum and hummingbird start doing something similar soon.

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Mar 19, 2013, 10:55 PM »
Marcum already does with the LX 6-7... Using almost all the flasher dial no matter the depth is great, and also having it while in zoom is even better.... Bottom is always at 10:30 on my dial....

Offline Fisherman-Andy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Mar 19, 2013, 11:12 PM »
There are much more important considerations, the ten ft. range intervals on the 22 mean a lot more to me than almost anything else beyond a unit actually turning on and functioning correctly. I've waited a long time to not be tied to the 20-40-60 etc. ranges on a mechanical unit. I spend most of my time in the 6-9ft and 20-25ft areas and actually getting to use the majority of a big dial is an absolute joy, hope Marcum and hummingbird start doing something similar soon.

You must not have seen what an LX6 & LX7 can do.  5, 10, 20, 40 zoom windows that are infinitely adjustable down to 1ft increments anywhere on the water column.  No need to be locked down to just a bottom zoom.  Manual range on the LX6/7 is 10, 20, 40, 60, 80 etc.  You get auto depth range and best of all you get dynamic depth mode which maximizes your display range, allows you to utilize the whole screen and still have infinite zoom.  Add the multiple different display options such as vertical bar, chart, zoom window, flasher round dial and one starts to feel spoiled...

Offline walkndude

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Mar 20, 2013, 12:41 AM »
It always turns into this on these boards, the lx6-7 DO NOT have 10 ft range intervals, which is what what I commented about. They have 10ft then the standard 20-40-60etc. I think some people have a hard time just taking something in without having to rah rah rah about this company or that -it's ridiculous, grow up. I also commented that I wanted a MECHANICAL flasher with this ability. Why? Because I know exactly what an LX-7 can do, I went through three of them over a two month time period with countless times on the phone arranging new units being sent to me(and dynamic depth NEVER functioned correctly), Chris is a champ while Mike is an arrogant jerk. It's always the same 3 or 4 guys... MARCUM MARCUM MARCUM. I could care less what name is on my unit, it could say "flasher" for all I care. what I do know at this point is the best customer support/service is the kind I don't need to use.

Reading is fundamental. Last post for me on this sub board, why is there no ignore user option here?

Offline Fisherman-Andy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Mar 20, 2013, 08:49 AM »
It always turns into this on these boards, the lx6-7 DO NOT have 10 ft range intervals, which is what what I commented about. They have 10ft then the standard 20-40-60etc. I think some people have a hard time just taking something in without having to rah rah rah about this company or that -it's ridiculous, grow up. I also commented that I wanted a MECHANICAL flasher with this ability. Why? Because I know exactly what an LX-7 can do, I went through three of them over a two month time period with countless times on the phone arranging new units being sent to me(and dynamic depth NEVER functioned correctly), Chris is a champ while Mike is an arrogant jerk. It's always the same 3 or 4 guys... MARCUM MARCUM MARCUM. I could care less what name is on my unit, it could say "flasher" for all I care. what I do know at this point is the best customer support/service is the kind I don't need to use.

Reading is fundamental. Last post for me on this sub board, why is there no ignore user option here?

LOL...  isnt it always the same guys saying VEXILAR VEXILAR VEXILAR also?  Shall we give this a rest?  No one is going is rah rah rah about mines is better then yours anything.  We are rah rah rah about what flasher has the best features available to us as anglers.  Shall that flasher be a Marcum or Vexilar then so be it.  You pointed out a great feature on your Vexilar.  Are we not allowed to point out features on our flashers?  ::)  No one has put you or your Vexilar down on this thread.  Only features of different flashers being mentioned so far in comparison.  I see no point in the whining & crying.  :'( 

You like being able to have the whole screen available for display depending on the range, Marcum accomplishes this by using dynamic depth.  You fish in less then 10 fow.  Using the 10ft manual range on the Marcum covers that.   Dynamic depth mode works only in 10fow or deeper making 10ft range settings throughout almost irrelevant.  Yes the LX6, LX7 does not have manual 10ft range settings through out, I mention that already in the previous post.  But it doesnt need to with dynamic depth feature. You fish in 20-25 fow.  Dynamic depth will maximize you whole screen here also at the same time allowing you to infinitely zoom in any water column by 1ft increment, great when you got suspended fish.  Your not stuck to a bottom lock zoom. 

Because you have a problem with your Marcum and it didnt work out for you doesnt meant it didnt work out for others.  Its too bad that you had a bad experience on a great flasher. (I dont know how one can go through 3 different LX7 units, bad karma?)  Or maybe it just wasnt the flasher for you.  I certainly dont have any issues with my LX6 with dynamic depth.  Im sure many other LX6, LX7 users feel the same way.

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Mar 20, 2013, 06:50 PM »
I have fished a 22 next to my 7 and the 22 isn't in the same ball park as the 7, sorry it didnt work for you but I wouldnt trade my 7 for a truckload of 22's...

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #20 on: Mar 23, 2013, 02:05 PM »
I think the lower the target separation the better.  It's like my rifles, accuracy is everything and I'm willing to pay more for it.  If you're setting the hook when the lines meet and your machine says the fish is at the jig you'll end up pulling your jig away from the fish rather than setting the hook. 

Offline hnd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Mar 24, 2013, 05:00 PM »
target id/sep is more about bottom huggers for me than anything.  when i was fishing a vex i would hop from hole to hole and be like, nope nope nope, buddy would come along put his marcum down and be like, there are fish there..

Offline 74redone

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Mar 24, 2013, 05:38 PM »
Which vex model did u have? I liked my lx5 but I really like the flat screen. If Marcum came out with a flat screen lx5 I would have one again.

target id/sep is more about bottom huggers for me than anything.  when i was fishing a vex i would hop from hole to hole and be like, nope nope nope, buddy would come along put his marcum down and be like, there are fish there..

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Mar 25, 2013, 07:52 PM »
Which vex model did u have? I liked my lx5 but I really like the flat screen. If Marcum came out with a flat screen lx5 I would have one again.

Got 2 choices LX6 and LX-7, just sold the wifes 5 to give her my 7 and get me a new 7, I have fished next to all the vex's and owned all but the 22 myself and even though everyone says theres no difference there is a difference hence why I own Marcums, and the difference being Target Seperation and fine crisp clear lines....

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #24 on: Apr 02, 2013, 06:51 PM »
well here are two pics of fish one on a vex 18 deep on zoom and one from a cheap lowrance 67c first are whites second are walleyes, when your seeing fish coming to the lure finders still have not progressed enough to say set the hook dude , we are still a ways from that yet , and one screen tells you the samething just tells it a different way , one unit doesn't catch more fish it is the hand that wheels the rod ,, but what does this ol buzzard know only been looking at this stuff in boats for 35 + yrs  and the 67c was only 248.00 and has a flasher and graph and my 18 is my back up, but i only fish eyes and perch   

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.