Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: Snowmobile or ATV  (Read 4275 times)

Offline Woody61

• Team IceShanty Regular
Snowmobile or ATV
« on: Nov 18, 2009, 07:34 PM »
I would really like to get a hauler for pulling the shelter but can't make up my mind on what the best choice would be. I would be looking at older models of each. Don't really need either one for anything other than fishing although the ATV could do a few chores around the house. My 18 yr old would like a sled just don't know with the limited snowfall fall we get if it would even be worth getting a sled. You guys that have one or the other what did you choose and why?.Thanks for the help. I'm just getting to old for all the physical part of this sport.

Offline harrylee

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Snowmobile or ATV
« Reply #1 on: Nov 18, 2009, 08:13 PM »
my chioce was 4 wheeler,i have 250 recon 2 wheel drive has got me every where i wanted to go,my knees are bad so thats what got me onto one,makes longer trips possible,and i also use it deer hunting and around the house,sled wouldn't let you do some of the things i use mine for,my 2cents,

Offline CrappieBuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Nov 18, 2009, 08:32 PM »
This is a loaded question.  When theres not any snow and you have a sled you wish youd went with the wheeler.  When its so snowy nothing can get on the lake including big trucks you wish youd went with a snowmobile.  Id say a wheeler though.  They can definetly tow more and are usefull 12 months outta the year instead of 3 if your lucky.  If the budget alows get both.  1000 bucks goes a long ways for a snowmobile. Not so much for an atv.

Offline hotrod

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Nov 19, 2009, 08:28 AM »
Snomobile was my choice.

#1 Reason: i've seen 4wheelers stuck in snow, never seen a SM stuck on the lake
#2 Reason: i have no disire to ride a 4 wheeler in the summer

I guess you have to consider how much you will use it when not ice fishing. 

If you pick a SM, get studs in the track, you can go on any lake, 2 foot of snow or slick/flat ice.

Good luck, hope you get something, it will make ice fishing even more enjoyable.
"I never go ice fishing without my Vexilar" ~Dave Genz
www.fishingwithtoddree d.com

Offline michianafisherman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pleasant Times At Pleasant Lake
« Reply #4 on: Nov 19, 2009, 08:44 AM »
I use a 125 Baja Storm. Cranks out 8 1/2 horse. I pull 1000lbs with it. It only weighs 200lbs so I can go out with it on thinner ice than most. If deep snow is not an issue, get a four wheeler. I have seen them like mine for 450  to 1500 bucks. I don't like going out without it.

HELD HOSTAGE BY PHOTOBUCKET

Offline toothfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Nov 19, 2009, 01:29 PM »
As a young man I rode snowmobiles countless hours. Every year the same routine ...wait for snow or ride the iced over river with a cleat-ed track.
  Last year I bought a used Honda 400 foreman 4x4 atv. It came with a small blade. I have pushed snow , pulled my ice shack, and pulled a trailer for brush clean up.  
 In Iowa I would not trade my 4 wheeler for a snowmobile , but north where the deep snow is, a sled might be preferred over a 4 wheeler.

"Central Iowa Anglers"

Offline mud_n_fun

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Well? Where's the fish!!
« Reply #6 on: Nov 19, 2009, 01:37 PM »
Man snowmobiles are cheep right now. Check out craigslist. nice sleds for a few hundred dollars. Opposed to beat 4wheeler for $1500+. But the guys are right a four wheeler is a 12 month machine vs. a snow or ice only one. Consider your budjet and go from there! No budget get a 4wheeler(4x4)!

Offline Woody61

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Nov 19, 2009, 05:33 PM »
Snomobile was my choice.

#1 Reason: i've seen 4wheelers stuck in snow, never seen a SM stuck on the lake
#2 Reason: i have no disire to ride a 4 wheeler in the summer

I guess you have to consider how much you will use it when not ice fishing. 

If you pick a SM, get studs in the track, you can go on any lake, 2 foot of snow or slick/flat ice.

Good luck, hope you get something, it will make ice fishing even more enjoyable.

I thought you couldn't run a SM on flat ice,  don't you need snow for cooling the trackor idlers or whatever?I don't know squat about sleds.

Offline mud_n_fun

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Well? Where's the fish!!
« Reply #8 on: Nov 19, 2009, 05:39 PM »
I thought you couldn't run a SM on flat ice,  don't you need snow for cooling the trackor idlers or whatever?I don't know squat about sleds.
Ice scatchers!

Offline diabetik11

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Nov 19, 2009, 08:21 PM »
i would take a ATV just for the year round uses

Offline michianafisherman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pleasant Times At Pleasant Lake
« Reply #10 on: Nov 20, 2009, 05:12 AM »
Don't forget that whatever you decide on, you have to have a way to haul it. The larger snowmobiles and four wheelers are difficult to move by yourself without a trailer. Once you figure out how much work they can do, then you will want a bigger shanty and you will need room for that also. Keep this in mind.
HELD HOSTAGE BY PHOTOBUCKET

Offline mydogcarl

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Nov 20, 2009, 11:33 AM »
Don't forget that whatever you decide on, you have to have a way to haul it. The larger snowmobiles and four wheelers are difficult to move by yourself without a trailer

If you go with a midsize quad, they will generally fit into the bed of a pickup.  That was one of my main considerations last year when I bought a Polaris Sportsman 400...  I REALLY did not want to be hauling a trailer around.  So the quad goes into the bed of the pickup, and I have a hitch mounted cargo rack for the ice shelter.
Mike

Offline crappie_chaser

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Nov 20, 2009, 11:45 AM »
ATV with tracks... best of both worlds and nothing will stop you. I've seen one go over a 6ft powder drift without sinking and it sold me. :thumbsup:
Every man is perceived a wise man, until they speak

Offline viciouscircle

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • sure its thick enough to hold our weight, after u
« Reply #13 on: Nov 20, 2009, 12:08 PM »
IMO it depends on where you are too.....up here in Dryden its not a case of either or...you need both....or an ATV with tracks as someone said.
   "SAY HELLO TO MY LITTLE FRIEND!"

Offline CrappieBuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Nov 20, 2009, 12:25 PM »
You can put most atvs in the back of the pickup.  Doesnt help much for ice fishing though since your house and gear are going in the back of the truck most times.  
I have an 08 Honda Rubicon and with no chains I can tow a 1500+lb house through 6 to 8 inches of snow without a problem put her in low and go.  Only been stuck once thats when i dropped through about a foot of bad ice and slush most times you can move it around so you can get it out.  Or if you have a winch just drill a hole and winch out.

Offline fishingPole

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Nov 20, 2009, 12:41 PM »
Personally I like a snowmobile.  One reason, - I don't go 4 wheeling.  Second reason - here in Central NY with almost constant lake effect snow, the snow can get deep at times out on the lakes especially with the drifting.  A 4 wheeler can bog down (if it doesn't have tracks.).  Just my 2 cents.... 
Leave it better than you found it

Offline sperrin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Nov 20, 2009, 12:51 PM »
Here in canada....Snowmobile all the way !

Offline piker1

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • here fishy,fishy
« Reply #17 on: Nov 20, 2009, 01:17 PM »
I have both but use 4 wheeler more, have grizzy 660 4x4 never been stusk with it , let grandkids use sled . besides 4 wheeler I use year round .... ;D
If your not fishing, your not living.....

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.