Author Topic: Casting lead jigs  (Read 1167 times)

Offline coboy

• Team IceShanty Addict
Casting lead jigs
« on: Nov 09, 2008, 09:31 PM »
I tried casting my own jigs today using a Lee electric melter and a Do-it minnow head jig mold.I was trying to make the two smallest size jigs,1/32 and 1/48 oz., using a no.6 hook.I had about a 25% success rate trying to follow the instructions closely.Does anyone have any suggestions or pointers on getting a more uniform jig? Thanks in advance.

Offline jaklakmak

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • I LIVE OUTDOORS!
Re: Casting lead jigs
« Reply #1 on: Nov 09, 2008, 09:40 PM »
Make sure your Mold is hot before you pour the lead into it. I had the same problem when i first started making jigs a few years back.

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #2 on: Nov 09, 2008, 09:45 PM »
I tried casting my own jigs today using a Lee electric melter and a Do-it minnow head jig mold.I was trying to make the two smallest size jigs,1/32 and 1/48 oz., using a no.6 hook.I had about a 25% success rate trying to follow the instructions closely.Does anyone have any suggestions or pointers on getting a more uniform jig? Thanks in advance.
What are you using for metal?
Like jaklakmak mentioned - make sure your mold is "hot". Set it on top of melting pot to preheat.
Use some soldering paste as flux in your molten metal.
Make sure your mold is "clean" no oil or dirt.  If it is an aluminum mold try "smoking" it with the flame of a candle.
Been casting bullets for years - from 17 to 58 cal.

Offline coboy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Nov 09, 2008, 10:04 PM »
I would have to say warm as compared to hot.I've  been able to pull the jig out without any danger of burning my fingers.The lead I was using was old lead plumbing pipe.I
would skim the top off to get the crud out.According to the instruction booklet you don't want to get the mold too hot ,so I'm sure I may have  been overly cautious.I do have
a tackle making book that suggests the same thing with the candle.Is it the paraffin from the candle that helps to make a better casting?

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #4 on: Nov 09, 2008, 10:12 PM »
You can't get the mold "too" hot.  As you cast, the mold will get hotter and the casting will take longer to solidify.
It is the residue in the smoke from the candle.  You can also use a small piece of that candle wax as a flux in your pot.
Don't throw away the skimmings until after you flux.  You are throwing away the tin in the alloy that makes the metal cast better.

Try using wheel-weights from a tire place.  They generally produce better castings than lead pipe, more tin in the mix.  Save the lead for making sinkers with the ears on 'em.

Offline coboy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Nov 09, 2008, 10:35 PM »
Thanks for the feedback guys.I'll try your tips tomorrow!

Offline OTIS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Nov 10, 2008, 03:52 PM »
Smoking the mold refers to holding the mold just above a candle flame so the soot (carbon) coats the mold.
Follow the bubbles...

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.