Author Topic: Oak Leaf Grubs  (Read 2704 times)

Offline Zgills08

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
Oak Leaf Grubs
« on: Dec 15, 2004, 03:57 PM »
Does anyone gather their own oak leaf grubs?  Guessing by their name, their found on oak leafs, but I'm not exactly sure.  Any info on catching or using these grubs would be appreciated.  Thanks

Offline PeRcHsLaYeR

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I LOVE PERCH!!!!
Re: Oak Leaf Grubs
« Reply #1 on: Dec 19, 2004, 02:39 PM »
there found inside of acorns on the ground just pick them up and either put them into a bucket of dirt and they will hatch and move into the dirt or u can just crack the acorns open and get them out..
you can call me PeRcHsLaYeR......

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2 on: Dec 19, 2004, 03:50 PM »
Oak Leaf Grubs are the larval stage of the Crane Fly

There are many different species of Crane Flies and they are almost impossible to tell apart. They all live near water.

Some species of Crane Fly live in the water for part of their lives.
The larvae of aquatic species (also called "water worms") will live most of their lives on the bottom of the stream or lake under dead leaves or other debris. Larvae of terrestrial (land) species, live in mud or wet moss near the water.

RG
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline Zgills08

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #3 on: Dec 20, 2004, 06:47 PM »
Thanks guys, maybe next year If I'm not to lazy I'll catch a few.  I wonder if their hard to keep? 

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #4 on: Dec 20, 2004, 07:57 PM »
Damp leaf litter...don't know about the preferred temperature.
RG
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline Zgills08

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #5 on: Dec 21, 2004, 02:52 PM »
Thanks RG, come to think of it there was some damp leaves in the container when I bought them. 

Offline seaweed01

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #6 on: Dec 21, 2004, 09:23 PM »
Somewhere in the archives of last winter I posted how to catch, where and
how we keep oak leaf grubs. Sorry, but that's all I can remember.

Offline reelcharacter

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Bluegills, That's how it all got started . . .
« Reply #7 on: Feb 01, 2005, 12:17 AM »
Somewhere in the archives of last winter I posted how to catch, where and
how we keep oak leaf grubs. Sorry, but that's all I can remember.

Think this might be the info you referred to from last year . . .

155   IceShanty Main / General Chit Chat / Re:mousies?  on: Nov 05, 2003, 09:06 PM 
In the fall, after leaves have fallen and have been in the water a while, look for a quiet place off a small creek, a spring seep, a beaver pond, someplace where the leave do not get "washed out". Any type of a backwater. The water does not have to be very deep, a few inches will do. Look at the leaves and if they look like they are lacy, what I mean is, if they look like they have been eaten, with the stems and veins left, (with most of the center of the leaf gone.) You should be able to find the grubs in a spot like that. I use a small window type screen,  pull and put the leaves from the water on it and start looking for them, sorting thru the leaves. Sometimes in the fall the grubs are not to large, but they will grow during the winter, just keep them in very wet leaves in a cool area and they will last all winter. I use a small styrofoam cooler and it seems to
work very well. If you can find some, get a large supply as they are an excellent perch bait. I hope I have not confused you to much, let me know if you find some or need some more info. Good luck.
Reply | Reply with quote | Notify of replies 

156   IceShanty Main / General Chit Chat / Re:mousies?  on: Nov 05, 2003, 08:22 PM 
Oak leaf grubs are crane fly larva. They are dark grey - almost black and are from 3/4" to 2" long.

Tight Lines,
-Reelcharacter
PM me to swap information on fishing holes or to go fish'in sometime in the Syracuse Central NY area (Onondaga and Madison county water holes in particular).

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.