Author Topic: Deschenes Bay Pike  (Read 1604 times)

Offline tip-uptwo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Deschenes Bay Pike
« on: Jan 27, 2007, 07:28 PM »
Fished an urban fishing spot in Quebec today hoping to set the hooks into some monster pike that are known to be caught in the area :) We arrived at the bay around 9:00am and had it all to ourself(Well, the half that was frozen that is)..man was it cold...-31 with the wind rippin :o Fingers numbed up pretty fast..Thank god for my buddy..Mr.Buddy that is  :)

Unfortunately, to our luck, the spot Anthony and I wanted to get to had no ice yet :-\ This spot had over a foot of ice last year..Water levels raised a  foot or two this past week making the lack of ice we have this year even worse...Rapids and current only a few hundred meters away didn't hep either  :-\.. Anthony and I proceeded to fish the shallow weedy shore of the bay anyway and set-up base over 8 FOW. Ice was 5'' rimming the shoreline and about 1' out further..Thought I might add we were 100 yards from open water  :o...

Tip-ups were set-up along a weed-edge we found using the Marcum underwater camera. It's nice to know what kind of bottom your standing over before taking the time to set-up..I find the camera key when trying to locate that fish holding bottom and structure your looking for  :D Gives ya that extra edge..In no time we were into the nuisance perch that roam the basin of the bay..they are everywhere...I say this because out of the hundreds I have seen yanked from around here, only about 10 have reached the 10''+ mark  :-\ I have seen bigger on different sections of the river..again, not around where I was today..

Anthony with a typical Deschenes Bay perch  :blink:

Anthony and I were talking about how surprised we would be to see a flag pop during the day...I am always skeptical of fishing spots I have never fished and the size of the minnows kind of let us us know of what type of fish we were in for that day...First rod to start thumping and sounding bells had a knuckle-ball jig head tipped with a small shiner( All we could get  >:( )..I ran, and lay ed the hooks into him...Oh yea  :D

The winds blowing and it's freezing out there pose.. 8) First Pike under the belt this season :thumbsup: I'm happy...definatly worth the wind burn and no feeling in both hands  :) Now, I thinking, there must be a 20 pounder lurking down there somewhere...Tossed the little dart back down the hole so he can fill in his bigger buddies about our gracious offerings  ;D

Not 5 minutes later and I noticed a flag pop up in the distance  :tipup:...Anthony was at the hole in seconds and alerted me that there was a fish on indeed! Hopefully this is the one were looking for ... :-\ ...Gave this guy a few pounds, no more..Quick pic and tossed him back down the hole...

As the day continued on, we got into a few more dinky perch and missed a flag...we went 2/3 on the hammer handles and I could not tell ya how many perch we caught..(Was not that many) I will be back out tomorrow with some 6'' Golden Shiners and and extra propane...It was nice to be back out on the ice with my little bro again, a few flags made it a bit more exiting as well...

Can't wait to get back out tomorrow  ;D Will fill ya guys and gals in with a Little report when I return  :)

-Andrew
Andrew

Offline Scumking

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Deschenes Bay Pike
« Reply #1 on: Feb 01, 2007, 10:22 AM »

hey Andrew great report, are those team Quebec fish ;D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.