Author Topic: TUCR rod question  (Read 1981 times)

Offline Mrpike1973

• Team IceShanty Regular
TUCR rod question
« on: Dec 12, 2017, 09:36 PM »
Thinking of pulling the trigger on one I am a die hard spring bobber fan will I be disappointed with this? is it worth the money? A lot for a ice rod but I would like 1 real good rod once in my life thank you.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
Re: TUCR rod question
« Reply #1 on: Dec 12, 2017, 09:53 PM »
Thinking of pulling the trigger on one I am a die hard spring bobber fan will I be disappointed with this? is it worth the money? A lot for a ice rod but I would like 1 real good rod once in my life thank you.

I looked at them in Scheels......very nice rods, a bit over priced IMO. However most if not all high end luxury items are. I think they are better then Thorne brothers rods.

My suggestion to you is look around at the high end Rod makers before you pull the trigger. One I would suggest is Adam Bricker who runs Bricker's custom Rods. He is just making custom ice rods that nobody is even close to IMO.

Offline jwetovick

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Dec 12, 2017, 10:21 PM »
If you are a spring guy there is zeeeero reason to spend 100 on a tucr or many others for that matter. Unless you are looking to spend money for no real advantage just clip ur spring on any light or med light rod you already have and catch fish. No need to spend a hundy on a tucr or any other high dollar rod if you prefer a spring. Don’t over think this. A spring shows bites and can be mounted on any cheap rod that will set the hook. Kills me seeing people spending good money on rods when it’s not needed.

Offline RyanW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Dec 12, 2017, 10:55 PM »
The Precision Noodle is a pretty darn good rod. I own 2 and Bullwhip. I wouldn’t go fishing without any of them. I was a die-hard spring bobber guy too but I absolutely hate clipping/tying/glueing anything that isn’t necessary on the end of my rod. To me, a physical spring bobber just isn’t necessary anymore and now I don’t have to clip some unsightly barbaric spring/wire on the end of my rod. I know guys will say a $10 Ice Blues will do the same thing but to each their own. I love my TUCR’s. If you get a TUCR, I’d recommend the Precision Noodle.

Having said that, there’s nothing a high end noodle will do that a quality spring bobber won’t. If you do end up getting a TUCR and it’s just not for you, they do hold a rather high resell value so passing it on shouldn’t be an issue but I honestly don’t see that happening. If you have the cash I say go for it.
“When the fish are biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using. When the fish aren’t biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using” - Uncle Dave

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #4 on: Dec 13, 2017, 01:19 AM »
The Precision Noodle is a pretty darn good rod. I own 2 and Bullwhip. I wouldn’t go fishing without any of them. I was a die-hard spring bobber guy too but I absolutely hate clipping/tying/glueing anything that isn’t necessary on the end of my rod. To me, a physical spring bobber just isn’t necessary anymore and now I don’t have to clip some unsightly barbaric spring/wire on the end of my rod. I know guys will say a $10 Ice Blues will do the same thing but to each their own. I love my TUCR’s. If you get a TUCR, I’d recommend the Precision Noodle.

Having said that, there’s nothing a high end noodle will do that a quality spring bobber won’t. If you do end up getting a TUCR and it’s just not for you, they do hold a rather high resell value so passing it on shouldn’t be an issue but I honestly don’t see that happening. If you have the cash I say go for it.

Have you ever fished an Ice Blues.....they work really well. Catch plenty on them. I've got a $16 ice blue HT Rod with a code blue no 8 fly reel......next to it I have a $250 set up. I'm happy fishing with either. The high end luxury stuff is nice, but it isn't a huge deal.

If the OP is a big spring guy and wants a higer end Rod.....maybe look into the St croix Spring rods.

Offline Bullet21XD

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Dec 13, 2017, 05:12 AM »
I think you should just buy one!!

I regularly fish with Bullwhips and Precision Noodles...i've never used spring bobbers, so I can't really compare.

But...on top of great actions (for me), they are also very durable rods...unlike many others including Thorne Bros.

I fish anything from 3mm jigs to 1/8oz spoons/Jiggin Raps on the Bullwhip, and it does it all well. If you just fish small jigs, the Precision Noodle would be the better option.

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #6 on: Dec 13, 2017, 05:28 AM »
The question is it worth the money?  IMO it's gonna always be no.
The question is it worth the experience? IMO it's gonna always be yes.

The gas money for my fishing trip is close to a hundred dollars depending on where I'm driving to.  The trip is not worth the money, but the experience is worth it.  When I get to my destination and pull out the nice rod combo, I will have the satisfaction to enjoy the experience.

With a better rod, you may want a better reel to go with it too.  You have to be able to appreciate the experience of having a more refined reel in it's entirety.  The operation of it, it's precision with line lay and drag performance.

All fishing gear has seen great improvements over the years. 
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline bigstorm

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Dec 13, 2017, 07:19 AM »
I went from using the St Croix spring bobber rods to the noodle rods for panfish and am very happy. I have the TUCR Precision Noodle, Bullwhip and also a DH Customs Al Dente. Each are slightly different with the Al Dente being the most sensitive (at least in my opinion). I cant say that there is a bite I would see on the Al Dente that I wouldnt see on the Precision Noodle though

Offline p1capt

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Dec 13, 2017, 07:32 AM »
I haven't used a TUCR, however,+1 on the DH Custom Al Dente. Very sensitive and durable.

Offline defish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Dec 13, 2017, 08:49 AM »
If you are a spring guy there is zeeeero reason to spend 100 on a tucr or many others for that matter. Unless you are looking to spend money for no real advantage just clip ur spring on any light or med light rod you already have and catch fish. No need to spend a hundy on a tucr or any other high dollar rod if you prefer a spring. Don’t over think this. A spring shows bites and can be mounted on any cheap rod that will set the hook. Kills me seeing people spending good money on rods when it’s not needed.

X2

Offline hnd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Dec 13, 2017, 09:45 AM »
my spring bobber rods are purely backups now.  noodle rods are my absolute go to when it comes to panfishing.

Offline aacosta

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Dec 13, 2017, 04:52 PM »
If you could choose one tucr for catching all 3 bluegill, crappie, and perch which model would it be?

Offline lostbrit

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Dec 13, 2017, 05:00 PM »
not sure for the TUCR for your application but I would look long and hard at the DH Al dente rod, I have had trout to 23" 6lb on this rod down to small perch 5". I had the quick tip from TUCR and sold it after a few uses as I found the Al Dente a better fit for me. 

Offline aacosta

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Dec 13, 2017, 05:04 PM »
I'll look into it, the only noodle I have experience with is the ht ice blue

Offline bigstorm

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Dec 13, 2017, 05:32 PM »
If you could choose one tucr for catching all 3 bluegill, crappie, and perch which model would it be?

It would be the Precision Noodle. The Bullwhip might be a little too stiff for some smaller jigs and the Quick Tip is a graphite rod so its a little more stiff than the Bullwhip

The Precision Noodle has enough sensitivity for smaller jigs (1/32 up to 1/50oz) but yet enough backbone for a walleye in the 20" to 23" range that happens to hit when you are fishing for panfish along with the up bite of a crappie when using a tungsten jig

Offline Thearcher1340

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Dec 13, 2017, 05:34 PM »
Checkout Lehigh Valley Fishing Co. bought the Ice Lake Light n is one of my favorite rods.  Any questions u have, give him a call n he will just about build u anything u want. He is also a veteran which made my decision to buy off him easier.  The rod is incredible in fact going to order the ice lake for walleyed this year.

Offline lostbrit

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Dec 13, 2017, 05:42 PM »
I'll look into it, the only noodle I have experience with is the ht ice blue

go to his site DHcustomrods he has videos up explaining his rods

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.