Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: Willow  (Read 1246 times)

Offline wmcox

• Team IceShanty Regular
Willow
« on: Dec 25, 2013, 02:16 PM »
Anyone interested in fishing willow on friday. I live in north clinton and have heard that the crappie and perch are in there pretty heavy.

Offline jkujawa81

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Willow
« Reply #1 on: Dec 25, 2013, 02:28 PM »
Let me know would definitely make the drive if they were

Offline jrjach75

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Dec 26, 2013, 09:29 AM »
Been catching a lot of big bluegills out of there too. Seem to turn on late morning every time I'm out there.

Offline wmcox

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 26, 2013, 10:39 AM »
A guy I work with was catching perch and small stripers yesterday. Gonna hit it sometime tomorrow hopefully get into some stripers.

Offline cyclones30

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 26, 2013, 11:59 AM »
Where is willow? Not familiar with this side of the state and I'll probably never fish it. Mississippi backwater?

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #5 on: Dec 26, 2013, 02:17 PM »
Do you park at the boat ramp and then walk the trail over the bridge to get there? Might head up that way tomorrow afternoon.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline wmcox

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 26, 2013, 06:48 PM »
Yea or you can park on the side of the road. Ill be out there tomorrow around 10. Hopefully get into some good fish. We shall see. Might be a little chilly without a hut.

Offline jrjach75

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Dec 26, 2013, 07:01 PM »
You can park on the road right at the entrance to the bike path. Just follow the bike path and you'll see trails off of the path on the right side leading down to the ice. The bike path is asphalt, and it's not the easiest to drag a sled on when it's cleared off. Also, getting down onto the ice is a pretty steep path. I'd recommend skipping the first path down, and taking the second, it's a straight shot.

The bottom drops off close to shore, you'd be surprised how deep it is right off the bank. I've caught perch on the west side, close to the trails off of the bike path. Most people fish near the east shore. I was out there today, ice is around 8", no slush on top. It was slow, I marked a lot of fish on the flasher and watched them come up and look at my jig and then go right back down to the bottom. The fish that did bite were all small to medium sized stripers.

Offline jrjach75

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Dec 27, 2013, 08:47 PM »
Did you guys do any good? Saw several trucks parked at the entrance but didn't have time to make it out myself.

Offline wmcox

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Dec 27, 2013, 11:16 PM »
Caught a couple crappie. Nothing to write home about. Biggest was 10". Really slow bite. Fished there most of the day. In my opinion I think irs too full of shad for right now. Focus on smaller ponds for now.

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #10 on: Dec 27, 2013, 11:20 PM »
Nothing more frustrating than trying to fish in an area full of shad with a flasher.  ;)
EYECONICFISHING

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.