Author Topic: Time for a quality base layer----for "fluffy" guys?  (Read 2140 times)

Offline FWFeecherman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Tight Lines and Screamin Drags to Ya!!
Time for a quality base layer----for "fluffy" guys?
« on: Jan 14, 2012, 04:32 PM »
Ok.  Time to spend some money and get a quality base layer for my ice fishing......problem is I am quite a bit on the "fluffly" side........ ;D ;D

I have been reviewing a ton of info on brands such as ice armor, guide gear, etc.   Problem is I am having a hard time finding something in a 4xl.....  anybody have any suggestions on where I could look for a quality baselayer in a larger size besides a custom order to Fort Wayne Tent and Awning????????  I was thinking of merino wool.   I can't be the only "fluffy" guy out there enjoying ice feeching. Thanks for any info.  Tight Lines and Screamin Drags to Ya!!!

Offline icemantwo

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Time for a quality base layer----for "fluffy" guys?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 14, 2012, 04:33 PM »
 Under Armor works great as a base layer.  I am not sure how large the sizes go though.  Good luck!
A day without fishing is a day wasted.

Offline bubbahide

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 15, 2012, 07:36 AM »
Check cabala's web site. I've seen they have 4X on some of there long underwhere. Your not the only "fluffy" guy out there I'm one of then too.
GO BIG OR GO HOME

Offline greenbackhunter

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 15, 2012, 09:39 AM »
I run the cabela's ECWCS base layer in 3xl... not sure if they make it in 4xl though....

Offline Seaduck

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Perch taste great
« Reply #4 on: Jan 15, 2012, 09:26 PM »
A company called Casual Male XL (www.casualmale.com) specializes in large sizes for men.  They have thermal underwear by "Harbor Bay" at 28.00 per piece.  I can't personally vouch for these, but have been satisfied with other products I have gotten from them.

Offline Loggy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 16, 2012, 07:27 AM »
Cabelas Exped wt thermax or newer MTP is a good base plus I believe comes in up to 5xl..

Offline privateeyes

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 16, 2012, 07:39 AM »
Anything fleece is a perfect under layer.. I like a tee shirt with a thermal top and a fleece pullover..my AA bib .. if the forecast is brutal zero sub temps all day?,,.I  add a pullover hooded sweatshirt and maybe add a fleece vest.. so for me that is 5 layers and a parka shell for the windchill. Warm bib, finger glove mitts waterproof insulated ice boots ice cleats

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #7 on: Jan 21, 2012, 01:25 PM »
I picked up some Under Armor 3.0 yesterday and the largest size I saw on the shelf was XXXL. I don't know if they make it larger or not, but it seems like it would stretch quite a bit.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline twodogs02

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Is that battery failure?
« Reply #8 on: Jan 22, 2012, 08:12 PM »
You are on the right track with Merino Wool, it's all I wear for baselayer.  Warm, wicks moisture...check out Core4Element, good stuff.  You can find it much cheaper on Camofire.com but it's hit and miss there as they rotate what's being sold daily.

Offline gil_lunkage

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Jan 22, 2012, 08:25 PM »
the tighter the better baby!
"Don't hate me cause you ain't me"
~ Some Dude

Offline bassMASSter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 26, 2012, 08:44 AM »
anything under armour or similar material, which i know they have at cabela's will work great.  i generally wear a couple of layers like this and a hooded sweatshirt and am never that cold.  i have everything zipped up inside my bibs, and unless it's really cold or raining/snowing, the jacket hardly ever even comes out of the sled.  size wise, you'll most likely have better luck at cabela's, and will probably end up spending less than you would on the under armour anyways.  hope this helps. 

Offline bigeddydynamite

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Feb 23, 2012, 05:04 PM »
I found some starter brand long johns at goodwill. same type of material as under armor. It works good under my vex cold snap bibs. I even have to vent the legs sometimes. Sportsmans guide has merino wool socks. Very nice. I'm with you at 330 lbs and 6'3"...
Stick, String, Tarp, Folding Chair, Bucket

Offline finnbear

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Mar 07, 2012, 04:29 PM »
Ok.  Time to spend some money and get a quality base layer for my ice fishing......problem is I am quite a bit on the "fluffly" side........ ;D ;D

I have been reviewing a ton of info on brands such as ice armor, guide gear, etc.   Problem is I am having a hard time finding something in a 4xl.....  anybody have any suggestions on where I could look for a quality baselayer in a larger size besides a custom order to Fort Wayne Tent and Awning????????  I was thinking of merino wool.   I can't be the only "fluffy" guy out there enjoying ice feeching. Thanks for any info.  Tight Lines and Screamin Drags to Ya!!!
I am a 3xl tall and I bought Polar Tech from Cabela's It has plenty of stretch, I have never been cold and it wicks moisture, it's warm all by itself and even stays warm when wet. I got the bib style cause my gut keeps pushing the bottoms down. Kinda look like a potato sack tied at both ends :)
Too many lakes
Too little time

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.