Author Topic: Trans Alaskans  (Read 1791 times)

Offline Chris Raymond

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Lifelong Outdoorsman
Trans Alaskans
« on: Nov 19, 2010, 08:11 AM »
Well, it's time to replace my current boats and am looking at a pair of Trans Alaskans.  My impression is that they're bulky and a person feels like they're walking with a set of platform boats but that they're NOT heavy.  Is this correct?  I would prefer not to change boats at the boat launch and would rather wear them while driving.  Are they too hot for that?  I drive a Ford 150 and will the bulkiness present any driving difficulties with the pedals?

Also, I've heard they run small for the corresponding size.  I currently wear an 11, I'm assuming that I would need to get a 12.  Has one size up been everybody's experience? 

Finally, I see they offer extra liners and was wondering if the liners retain that much moisture between uses that swapping is needed for daily use on the weekends?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and comments.
Chris Raymond

Offline GWK

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Trans Alaskans
« Reply #1 on: Nov 19, 2010, 08:34 AM »
I have them for 3 seasons know. they are warm boots. for me there are a little bit hard to get on and off. I have to put them on after I have my bibs on cause the boot is so big it won 't go through the legs of the bibs. for me they are to big to drive with in my vehicle. my gas a brake pedal are to close. never had a problem with the liners getting wet from sweat.  I take a size 10 1/2 so I went with a 11. my foot was a little loose in them . I just put 2 pairs of socks on to fill the gap.

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #2 on: Nov 19, 2010, 12:05 PM »
This'll be my second season with Trans Alaska lll pac boots from Cabela's.
Just weighed them on a digital bathroom scale at 6.2 lbs.
That includes the liners and 24 studs/screws (1/2" #8 slotted hex head) per boot.
I won't risk trying to drive in them and had to learn to walk again.
They are not water resistant, but Water Proof ! That's a plus, as being able to stand in water on the ice for hours and not feeling cold feet. But neither are they hot.
Before you stud/screw 'em, learn to walk in the house or parking lot. Very small steps are best and once the muscle training is done (don't laugh, this is important), all will come easier.

Hoping this helps a bit.  Tight lines.
                                        Tom   ;) 

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #3 on: Nov 19, 2010, 12:30 PM »
This will be year 3 for me and the trans Alaskans, I love them, my wife calls them Frankenstein boots, but they keep me warm and dry, worth every penny

Offline quackerkiller5

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Nov 19, 2010, 12:33 PM »
I've had them for a year now and I won't go one the ice with out them. Great boots.

Offline Mainedog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Nov 19, 2010, 10:49 PM »
Going on 4th (or 5th) for me.  Great boots.
Don't drive in them. 
I usually remove the liner at nights to let it air out,
and then after putting my bibs on, put the liner on,
and then pull the boot over the liner.
Just loosen up the laces good.

I've screwed my boots.  That way I don't have to
bother with creepers falling off.  Just can't wear them inside on the
hardwood floors.

They do have a thick sole, but you adjust pretty quick.

My wife wanted a pair after her feet were getting cold in her boots,
and she loves them too.

I'd get another pair when these die or get old.

MD

Offline jasond37

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Flag!
« Reply #6 on: Dec 14, 2010, 11:18 AM »
I have the Saskatchewan boots, which are the same boot but in camo.  It didn't take long for me to adjust, pretty much the distance of my truck to where we fished.  I did drive with them around the parking lot and it wasn't too bad, they fit and I didn't have an issue with other pedals.  My concern is the heat....I don't want my feet to sweat before I even get to the lake, that's how you get cold feet.  I've been out twice so far with these boots, and I love them already.

Offline Rebelfisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hook 'em and Cook 'em...TAKE IT TO THE LIMIT!
« Reply #7 on: Dec 18, 2010, 05:32 PM »
I dont have the trans alaska but do have the predator extremes. I find no difficulty driving my F150 in them. warmest boot ive ever owned

Ice Fisherman Walk on Water!

Offline VT snotrocket

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • God, Guns and Guts made America free!
« Reply #8 on: Dec 18, 2010, 05:33 PM »
I have the trans Alaskans and have used them for 2 seasons. It is true you cant drive with them on and they take some getting used to walking in. For warmth in my opinion they cant be beat. I have not EVER froze my feet in them. Just remember that if its late season you will need to wear a different boot because they are too warm. The best boot for cold I have ever worn. A great conversation piece too! I have people look at them and say" hey, are those moon boots?" I like them alot,you wont go wrong with these.
A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.    Winston Churchill

Offline VT snotrocket

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • God, Guns and Guts made America free!
« Reply #9 on: Dec 18, 2010, 06:43 PM »
Mainedog, what kind of screws did you use for these boots? Like length and such? Thinkin about studding up my transalaskans. Any info would help.
A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.    Winston Churchill

Offline Mainedog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Dec 19, 2010, 09:15 PM »
very short sheet metal screws, hex heads.  3/8" ???
It is posted somewhere on here.  Search for screwed my boots ...

http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=119814.0

Offline Icecubejunky

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Jan 14, 2011, 02:52 PM »
Trans lll.. Got a pair last yr wouldn't trade for another.. I drive in them w no issues just a lil gettin use to.. I run around in slush w no leaks n stay warm no matter the temp n don't sweat if it's 40 out great allaround...

Offline princecraft

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #12 on: Jan 15, 2011, 06:48 AM »
I have had the trans Alaskan boots now for about 4 years.  Great boot.  I don't wear them while driving if I am going any distance at all.  There are a couple lakes within 5 miles of my house that I will drive with them on.  They are not that hard to put on and take off, so I just put them on after I arrive at the lake.
Fisherman's Prayer
   I pray that I may live to fish
          Until my dying day.
And when it comes to my last cast,
       I then most humbly pray:
When in the Lord's great landing net
           And peacefully asleep,
      That in His mercy I be Judged
              BIG ENOUGH TO KEEP.

Offline BobOlink

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 16, 2011, 09:57 AM »
Best boot I've bought so far. They do run small so go up one size. All I do is walk so no complaints on comfort.
Bob P.

Offline s10W

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Jan 18, 2011, 07:20 PM »
I love my trans alaskans, they are extremely warm.  I always change into regular boots before I drive, due to the size of them.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.