The ice fishing Michigan board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: Well it was fun while it lasted  (Read 1278 times)

Offline 52niner

• Team IceShanty Regular
Well it was fun while it lasted
« on: Feb 08, 2010, 12:19 PM »
Due to a huge lack of maturity that some of my friends still grasp onto from there high school days my season has come to a very sad and stupid end. While bowling and drinkin some brews my rowdy friend decides he is gonna get a chuckle and kick the chair out from me when I went to sit down. Well this did not turn out very well and sit down I did. All the way to the hard floor landing all 200 lbs of me right on my tailbone. This compacted my spine and now I am screwed with serious back pain. Went to the ER and it's not broke but I bet my Lowrance that I have some disks that got blew out because even on Vicodin I can barely move. What a joke to end the season  :'( :'( ??? ???
"Beer is living proof that there is a God and he wants us to be happy." Ben Franklin

Offline Spawnwalker

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Well it was fun while it lasted
« Reply #1 on: Feb 08, 2010, 01:58 PM »
That sux. Hope you have a speedy recovery so you can still get back out.
Death from above

Offline sightfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • There's a method to my madness!
« Reply #2 on: Feb 08, 2010, 02:05 PM »
get your tail on ice... It will heal in no time...

Sorry to hear about that.
"Oh honey don't worry ice fishing season is almost over"     Oh Yeah, then we got steelhead, then bass, then big lake salmon, then fall river salmon........etc.
 "As fish go through the water colume, so do the days of our lives".

Offline swampbuckster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I.S. FOR LIFE! <(((((><|
« Reply #3 on: Feb 08, 2010, 02:09 PM »
Wow. what a shame. Sorry to hear about your back. I'm only 27 but have pulled back muscles 4 different times. The last time was on a fishing trip to Higgins Lake. Pulled it in the morning at the cabin and toughed it out the rest of the day. Could barely move. Had to watch my friends do all the work, drill all the holes, etc. while I sat in discomfort in the truck. Then got made fun of and called "brokeback" (as in referring to the Brokeback Mountain movie) the rest of the day. After the 6 hour ride home (giant snowstorm) in a single cab half ton with 2 of my buddies, I was tied up on the couch for 2 weeks.  It's the worst pain I've had to deal with yet and it's nothing to joke about.
You may call me crazy, but crazy catches fish!

Offline skulldugary

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #4 on: Feb 08, 2010, 05:44 PM »
Dude sorry to hear that.......some pranks don't turn out the way they are suppose ta.

Offline skunkmaster

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 08, 2010, 06:10 PM »
theres a ton of mobility exercises you can do that will hurt at first but will get you healed up quickly. 

Offline samkat

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Feb 08, 2010, 06:15 PM »
 Sounds like you need to redefine your requirements for being  a friend. Someone who doesn't think pain is funny is a good place to start.  :%$#!:
The earth is 3/4 water and 1/4 land. Clearly God meant for us to spend 3 times longer fishing than taking care of the lawn.

May the holes in your net be no bigger than the fish in it.

Offline DeLiarDaRuler

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 08, 2010, 08:16 PM »
Bummer...

Offline 52niner

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Feb 08, 2010, 08:30 PM »
Done did the whiskey crap lol , I've blown my back before but this is different. Going to the docs tomorrow and I think my disks are crapped out. MY wife had spinal fusion and she is an orth nurse and from what I can tell from her mumbo jumbo nurse talk is that the only way to find out is they stick a needle in  your disk and inject dye and then see if it leaks out. Sounds like a ton of fun. I just have a hard time fathoming what an idiot he was drinkin but then of course he was very apologetic and I've known him for 20 years so It's kinda hard to be super mad at him. But I did tell him and he agreed to pay for my Doc bills.
"Beer is living proof that there is a God and he wants us to be happy." Ben Franklin

Offline DeLiarDaRuler

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Feb 09, 2010, 07:38 AM »
 A little alcohol tends to make the brain not think ahead about the results of ones actions before it's too late.

You might've just pulled a bunch of muscles trying to catch yourself though. (hopefully) I'd wait a while before I had anything drastic like needles in my spine. It'll either get better or it wont.

Offline wax_worm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Right out of my ice hole!
« Reply #10 on: Feb 09, 2010, 08:41 AM »
Done did the whiskey crap lol , I've blown my back before but this is different. Going to the docs tomorrow and I think my disks are crapped out. MY wife had spinal fusion and she is an orth nurse and from what I can tell from her mumbo jumbo nurse talk is that the only way to find out is they stick a needle in  your disk and inject dye and then see if it leaks out. Sounds like a ton of fun. I just have a hard time fathoming what an idiot he was drinkin but then of course he was very apologetic and I've known him for 20 years so It's kinda hard to be super mad at him. But I did tell him and he agreed to pay for my Doc bills.

I have a blown out disk in my lower back and can feel your pain.  I slipped in the driveway 10-12 yrs ago going to the mailbox.  Never fell but twisted wrong to regain my balance and pop!  It is very painful and unfortnately there is no cure other than removal of the disk.  The pain after the initial injury is the worst.  It will take a while to subside....2 weeks to a month.  Shoveling, heavy lifting, and twisting the wrong way aggrevate mine, but it is never as bad as the original time.  THere are exercises you can do to strengthen the muscles around the area to provide more support, but your buddies prank has left you with a serious back issue now.  I would be sligtly more p1ssed than you are at him. 

Imagine a jellly donut with a small hole in the side.  When compressed the jelly squirts out and hits the nerves there and that causes the pain.  The 'jelly' is thick so it doesn't really run out unless compressed.

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #11 on: Feb 09, 2010, 08:44 AM »
Go see a chiropractor, lay on a small pillow with ice on the spot where it hurts on the floor and get off the meds.....
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline JKneibel

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Feb 09, 2010, 11:26 AM »
Due to a huge lack of maturity that some of my friends still grasp onto from there high school days my season has come to a very sad and stupid end. While bowling and drinkin some brews my rowdy friend decides he is gonna get a chuckle and kick the chair out from me when I went to sit down. Well this did not turn out very well and sit down I did. All the way to the hard floor landing all 200 lbs of me right on my tailbone. This compacted my spine and now I am screwed with serious back pain. Went to the ER and it's not broke but I bet my Lowrance that I have some disks that got blew out because even on Vicodin I can barely move. What a joke to end the season  :'( :'( ??? ???

What did you do to deserve that???
A bad day fishing and drinking beer is better than a good day at work!

Offline Got2fish

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • In training by lives2fish...
« Reply #13 on: Feb 09, 2010, 11:37 AM »
Go see a chiropractor, lay on a small pillow with ice on the spot where it hurts on the floor and get off the meds.....

2nd that, see your Dr. then get to a Chiro, avoid pain pills as much as possible and def. avoid surgery, it may not be as bad as it seems. You are sore now take it easy, learn some stretches, use some ice and heat. And make sure your bud follows through on his words about med bills, it could get expensive fast. Good luck to you.

got2fish

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.