New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Yet ANOTHER.....VHS question.......  (Read 529 times)

Offline wildlifecaretaker

• IceShanty Rookie
Yet ANOTHER.....VHS question.......
« on: Jan 10, 2007, 05:07 AM »
Just had a thought and wanted to see if anyone knew the answer. Can other animals such as crayfish, birds, amphibians, ect spread the virus as a carrier? They eat the fish, so wasn't sure if they could potentially move the virus around with them if they eat infected fish.

Also, just another thought......we are looking at this through how it effects us and what we can do to help in the problem. However, this is something that needs to be made more public than just the fishing community. It doesn't seem like there's been much publicity to even those that could potentially have the most impact (us), let alone to the public in general. My parents weren't outdoors people, but I always found a way to do my thing. When I was really young, I thought it "cool" to be able to catch little minnows from creeks or shallow water in larger bodies and take them home for a day or 2 only to take them somewhere and dump them back so they could live.....and it wasn't always to the same body of water. Crayfish also, which led to my question at the beginning of this post. While we are the first and BIGGEST line of defense against this, it seems like it needs to be made a public issue completely! Like I said, just a thought. I have a lot of time on my hands all night long while I sit at work....lol

Offline crayfishbob

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Yet ANOTHER.....VHS question.......
« Reply #1 on: Jan 10, 2007, 07:11 AM »
According to the DEC, None of those animals can actually get infected, then spread the disease. It is birds, however that is in the area of concern. Hawks , eagles , osprey and seagulls would be on the top of the list.They could possibly carry remains of an infected fish to other waters.

They did stipulate and say "there is much not known about this"

As far as the non fishermen public not knowing, I plan on media coverage at my gander mtn meetings, and planning a scheme that will get world wide coverage. The details will come out as soon as I get some more ATTENTION !

Retired , but still recovering ice fishing addict.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.