New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: youngs lake  (Read 1514 times)

Offline smarge42

• Team IceShanty Regular
youngs lake
« on: Jan 06, 2011, 12:23 PM »
i was wondering if anyone has been out there recently? i havent fished it since before the warm up. there was a pressure crack not quite half way out. wonder how much ice is there. i am planing a trip there this weekend

Offline BIGJim223

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: youngs lake
« Reply #1 on: Jan 06, 2011, 06:37 PM »
There were some guys out there this afternoon in a black (Frabill?) hut, there were a couple vehicles at the parking area with guys fishing Weaver Lake across the street too. The ice should be fine, everything else around here is good (except Otsego!). I haven't seen the sleds on Young's Lake yet, kind of surprised at that......

BIGJim223

Offline smarge42

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 06, 2011, 06:44 PM »
thanks bigjim223. i live close enough to make the trip to fish but to far to just check the ice. i made some new tip downs i want to try and i enjoy fishing that lake.

Offline BIGJim223

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 06, 2011, 07:48 PM »
There has been one blue Trap that has been out there a lot this year. The guy does put in some hours! Always fishes the same spot, though it is not a spot I would have fished. He must know about some kind of structure and have it marked. I would bet the water can't be more than 4 foot where he sets up. The guys that were out there today were in the same spot. I <may> have to check it out.  ;)

BIGJim223

Offline smarge42

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 06, 2011, 07:56 PM »
we will be there saterday afternoon. stop by we will be in a 2 man frabil flip over with a bunch of homemade tip downs out around us.

Offline BIGJim223

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jan 06, 2011, 08:07 PM »
we will be there saterday afternoon. stop by we will be in a 2 man frabil flip over with a bunch of homemade tip downs out around us.

Will depend on what this snow storm brings to us. I may still be plowing on Saturday! I will try to get out there if I can make it. I know I am not going back to Canadarago for a while. That place is like the Dead Sea for me this year. I have caught nothing but dink perch, and not many of them! I just wish Otsego would freeze over!

BIGJim223

Offline smarge42

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 06, 2011, 08:12 PM »
all we have cought on cando this year is dinks and i mean a ton of them. did get a couple 10'' keepers but thats it. would like to try otsego some time. i grew up icefishing on youngs with my dad so i could go there and catch dinks all day and just reminis all day lol. we will prob be there on sunday also if the ice is good and not to much snow. just look for the tip downs.

Offline smarge42

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 26, 2011, 11:21 AM »
has anyone been out lately? wonderin how the slush is and how the ice is holding up. going out this weekend maybe during the week if i get a chance.

Offline smarge42

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 27, 2011, 07:09 PM »
bump

Offline BIGJim223

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Jan 27, 2011, 07:18 PM »
Somebody was out there today. Same spot as he is always in. Someday I am going to stop and walk out there just to see what he's catching there! Not the spot I pick first, but that is me....

BIGJim223

Offline smarge42

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 27, 2011, 07:24 PM »
thanks again bigjim.where does that guy set up you got me wondering now

Offline fishingPole

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 27, 2011, 08:00 PM »
Youngs Lake is a fun lake to fish, but the grub situation in the fish is a problem.  :-\
Leave it better than you found it

Offline BIGJim223

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Jan 27, 2011, 08:12 PM »
thanks again bigjim.where does that guy set up you got me wondering now
Kind of on the centerline, a little north of centerline, maybe a third of the way down the lake from the east end. He is there like almost every day. Black Trap style hut.

BIGJim223

Offline smarge42

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 27, 2011, 08:25 PM »
sounds like its around the area i have been fishing would say he is prob in about 12 fow prob after crappies or gills

Offline BIGJim223

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Jan 28, 2011, 12:03 PM »
Yeah, I figured Gills. Do you get many crappie out of there? I have caught a few, but no size on them. Do they have the parasites in the meat? I have released every fish I caught in there and across the road in Weaver's Lake, even though I know they are edible if cooked properly. Those worms just creep me out!

BIGJim223

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #15 on: Jan 28, 2011, 12:44 PM »
Some times you get 40% grubs and 60% meat.. :sick: :sick: :sick:
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline smarge42

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 28, 2011, 12:55 PM »
i have cought a few crappie out of there really nice size sometimes i have a hard time getting them out of a 6" hole. everything i have cought has been relitively grub free few perch have been thrown out due to grubs but like 3 fish out of all the ones i have kept. takes some work to find the crappie sometimes. i go mostly for perch.

Offline smarge42

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Dec 01, 2013, 06:33 AM »
I'm starting to get anxious to walk on water. Does anyone know how Youngs is doing? Do we at least have skim ice yet?

Offline snelly

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • my new shanty
« Reply #18 on: Dec 01, 2013, 06:47 AM »
I'm starting to get anxious to walk on water. Does anyone know how Youngs is doing? Do we at least have skim ice yet?
I went by on Friday. it was locked up and snow covered. I have no idea how thick the ice is. you would have to check for yourself. but i would guess it's probably  good to go if you use caution. be safe

Offline BIGJim223

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Dec 01, 2013, 06:44 PM »
It's been locked up for more than a week, I was shocked that no one was fishing it yesterday. Did not go by it today so can't report on any activity there.

BIGJim223

Offline smarge42

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Dec 01, 2013, 06:52 PM »
Thank you for the reports. I think I'll give it a couple more weeks .

Offline smarge42

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Dec 12, 2013, 02:57 PM »
I heard a few people have been out fishing the lake. Does anyone know how much ice there is?

Offline BIGJim223

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Dec 12, 2013, 07:51 PM »
I have not checked it, but there has been guys out there for a week that I know of. 2 guys out there in a snow squall yesterday afternoon in a near white out. Hope they were catching some fish. -5* here this morning, high of 17 this afternoon, I'm sure it was making some ice!

BIGJim223

Offline smarge42

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Dec 25, 2013, 03:13 PM »
Does anyone know how the lake is doing

Offline BIGJim223

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Dec 25, 2013, 07:23 PM »
Had a big open area Sunday, was locked up Tuesday afternoon. Below zero here last night but I doubt it is safe everywhere. My pond in front of my house has been locked up since Young's originally froze, and it was not safe today even the old ice that didn't melt down over the weekend. 11 degrees here now, no snow yet, so there should be some ice being made tonight.

BIGJim223

Offline smarge42

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Jan 11, 2014, 10:07 AM »
I know people have been fishing it a lot but it's been a while since I was there last. Does anyone know how thick the ice is? I am planning on going out there tomorrow and I am worried about the rain we are getting.

Offline pmac3

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #26 on: Jan 11, 2014, 10:23 AM »
Was there yesterday. At least 8", at least 6 of which was black ice. The rain will probably just kill that top layer. My father and I caught a lot if dinks, a few decent gills and a few crappies. Also jigged up a decent sized pickerel and a small largemouth.
Pete

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.