Author Topic: New drill - now to upgrade the auger  (Read 2813 times)

Offline sploke

• Team IceShanty Regular
New drill - now to upgrade the auger
« on: Nov 06, 2020, 10:10 AM »
My wife, in her infinite wisdom, got me a Milwaukee 2804-20 drill kit for my birthday this week.  Just in time!  So, now I'm looking at upgrading my auger to make the best use of this new tool.  I currently have a 6"  Nils Master, which I freaking love - it cuts so well.  The Nils replaced a beat up old 8" Mora that didn't drill for crap.

But, the 6" holes are troublesome when its really cold out...After a few hours out I can barely fit my scoop into the hole as it freezes in.  As much as I like the Nils, I really want to get back to 8" holes.  Looking for suggestions on the most economical way to do that.  I've considered just changing the Nils to the 8" head and keeping the smaller flighting, but I don't love that option.  Anyone have other good ideas?  Trying to avoid dropping another 250+ on a completely new auger setup if possible.
-Matt

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
Re: New drill - now to upgrade the auger
« Reply #1 on: Nov 06, 2020, 10:12 AM »
A brand new 8" mora will cut fine and costs about $60.
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline Mancaveburnett

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Nov 06, 2020, 10:16 AM »
Get a Clamplate and a mora, works great.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #3 on: Nov 06, 2020, 10:23 AM »
Auger drill unit with a center point ... sign up for Emails and/or make an account with KTP(site sponsor) get 20% off . Going for the Clam Plate is a great option...but also get the extension. Good luck with your research and purchase.

$119

https://www.kitterytradingpost.com/fishing-marine/ice-fishing/augers-chisels/ht-enterprises-premium-e-drill-nylon-8-hand-ice-auger-kit-100375907.html
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Icemole

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Nov 06, 2020, 10:33 AM »
 Try thin shims in front of the screws on the cutting edge of your "sharp" blades. I lost the ones that came with so I just doubled(twice maybe) over a small strip of aluminum foil.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.

Offline sploke

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Nov 06, 2020, 10:39 AM »
Try thin shims in front of the screws on the cutting edge of your "sharp" blades. I lost the ones that came with so I just doubled(twice maybe) over a small strip of aluminum foil.

I don't have the Mora any more, I sold it when I got the Nils.
-Matt

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #6 on: Nov 06, 2020, 10:52 AM »
Im running drill,plate and 8” mora.cuts so fast but can skip and bind at the bottom a tad.i used a auger i had already.centerpoint  would be nice but those augers are to pricey still for me.

Offline bwjay

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Nov 06, 2020, 11:03 AM »
Pfft. Keep it lightweight and fast with an 8" Lite-Flite. I have no doubt you should be able to snag one on sale for $130-150. Yes, more expensive than just a Mora and drill bit adapter, but it's worth it.

Offline bigstorm

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Nov 06, 2020, 11:17 AM »
Pfft. Keep it lightweight and fast with an 8" Lite-Flite. I have no doubt you should be able to snag one on sale for $130-150. Yes, more expensive than just a Mora and drill bit adapter, but it's worth it.

Very light and cuts fast. I would recommend adding some loctite or tape around all of the screws so they dont loosen up (there are only a couple).

Offline TickleStick

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Nov 06, 2020, 11:50 AM »

This.

You could also choose a strike master lazer 8, that's what I've been using with a Milwaukee M18 the last 2 seasons and its be excellent.
WINTER IS COMING!

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #11 on: Nov 06, 2020, 11:58 AM »
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #12 on: Nov 06, 2020, 12:25 PM »

Yeah I'm gonna get a lite-Flite this year. The 7.5" should be just fine! ;D

Although I haven't found one for less than $199. :P
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline boder

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Nov 06, 2020, 09:10 PM »
You could check out the HT Nero auger.  Only used mine a couple times last year but worked well and comes with everything you need.  And it’s nice and light.

Offline tswoboda

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Nov 06, 2020, 10:11 PM »
So the 8" lite flite is significantly lighter than the 8" Mora??

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #15 on: Nov 07, 2020, 04:54 AM »
So the 8" lite flite is significantly lighter than the 8" Mora??
I would have to say no it isn't. 5.3 For the Lite Flight and 6 Lbs for the Mora. The mora includes the weight of the handle and the lite flight doesn't have one. If anything the Srikemaster Mora is lighter.
<===Lefty===

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #16 on: Nov 07, 2020, 06:27 AM »
Auger drill unit with a center point ... sign up for Emails and/or make an account with KTP(site sponsor) get 20% off . Going for the Clam Plate is a great option...but also get the extension. Good luck with your research and purchase.

$119

https://www.kitterytradingpost.com/fishing-marine/ice-fishing/augers-chisels/ht-enterprises-premium-e-drill-nylon-8-hand-ice-auger-kit-100375907.html

Offline sploke

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Nov 11, 2020, 07:27 AM »
I ended up ordering an 8" eskimo pistol bit.  After thinking about it, I'm not as concerned about being able to attach a handle for a backup, and the light weight, centering point and price made up my mind.  Currenty on sale from marine general for $150.

Only thing I'd like to change - I want to remove the chuck from the drill and thread the auger onto the drill instead of clamping with the chuck.  Once I get the pistol bit I'll see if that top part threads off and if I can fab up a replacement with a threaded end for the drill chuck instead of the round stock with flats to clamp it in.
-Matt

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Nov 11, 2020, 07:30 AM »
I ended up ordering an 8" eskimo pistol bit.  After thinking about it, I'm not as concerned about being able to attach a handle for a backup, and the light weight, centering point and price made up my mind.  Currenty on sale from marine general for $150.

Only thing I'd like to change - I want to remove the chuck from the drill and thread the auger onto the drill instead of clamping with the chuck.  Once I get the pistol bit I'll see if that top part threads off and if I can fab up a replacement with a threaded end for the drill chuck instead of the round stock with flats to clamp it in.

The Nils 8 inch works great if you have issues, and you can easily use it as a hand auger if you wish.
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline sploke

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Nov 11, 2020, 08:03 AM »
I have a Nils 6" and yeah it's awesome...but didn't want to drop 250 bucks to go up to the 8.
-Matt

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Nov 11, 2020, 08:10 AM »
I have a Nils 6" and yeah it's awesome...but didn't want to drop 250 bucks to go up to the 8.

I think of it as providing an inheritance for my children when I go... :whistle:
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline tswoboda

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Nov 18, 2020, 02:55 PM »
I would have to say no it isn't. 5.3 For the Lite Flight and 6 Lbs for the Mora. The mora includes the weight of the handle and the lite flight doesn't have one. If anything the Srikemaster Mora is lighter.
8" pistol bit = 4 lb 15 oz
8" mora      = 5 lb 12 oz
8" lite flite   = 6 lb  8 oz

The lite flite and pistol bit were weighed with flight, blades, cover, and drill attachment.  The Mora weighed with flight, blades, cover, drill adapter/disk, AND clam adjustable extension.  So I would say we are comparing apples to apples here and found it funny the one marketed as being LITE is actually the heaviest.

Online slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #22 on: Nov 18, 2020, 03:32 PM »

The lite flite and pistol bit were weighed with flight, blades, cover, and drill attachment.  The Mora weighed with flight, blades, cover, drill adapter/disk, AND clam adjustable extension.  So I would say we are comparing apples to apples here and found it funny the one marketed as being LITE is actually the heaviest.

Tho'h D'Oh du'Oh.  LOL.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #23 on: Nov 18, 2020, 03:36 PM »
And there it is Mora is the Lightest.
<===Lefty===

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #24 on: Nov 18, 2020, 06:50 PM »
And there it is Mora is the Lightest.

Dont forget to add the weight of the extension,adapter and safety disc.

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #25 on: Nov 19, 2020, 06:04 AM »
Still got to be lighter than the handle it comes with. I have an extension and a home made disc that only weighs about 1.5 pounds. Yep the extension is only 1 pound. Was you saying the Mora without the handle weighs that much? 5lb 12 oz ?
<===Lefty===

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #26 on: Nov 19, 2020, 06:12 AM »
According to Stikemaster the 8" is a total of 8 lbs. So that puts the auger handle at 2.25 lbs. And the Mora with extension should be 6 lbs 20oz.
<===Lefty===

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #27 on: Nov 19, 2020, 06:14 AM »
Thought he said it was weighed with those.
<===Lefty===

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #28 on: Nov 19, 2020, 06:38 AM »
Thought he said it was weighed with those.

You are correct Sir ..reading is fundamental .

Offline tswoboda

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Nov 19, 2020, 08:21 AM »

8" Mora + blades + blade cover + 16" adjustable extension + stainless adapter + plastic disk = 5 lb 12 oz

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.