Author Topic: Best Setup For Rainbows  (Read 593 times)

Offline UpNorth -21

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "FISH ON"
Best Setup For Rainbows
« on: Jan 05, 2010, 10:02 PM »

What are the best tactics for catching rainbows?? Never ice fished them before gonna give it a try this weekend. Whats the best depth, lures, bait, etc...?? anything helps.
Thanks,
UpNorth -21
"Catch And Release into the Grease"

Offline Northern Manitoban

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Best Setup For Rainbows
« Reply #1 on: Jan 05, 2010, 10:15 PM »
I do alot of rainbow fishing and caught hundreds of trophys over the years, fish over 20 inches, my best presentation to catch bigger fish has been on a deadline, use a polar tip up and have it a distance away from you, i keep that hole quite check it about every hour to make sure my bait is still there, I use berkley vanish or sensation almost invisible i believe the big bows get line shy, on my line i have a frozen minnow and a small gammi hook and about 12 inches up a small split shot, bait your hole with corn or minnows or shrimp if allowed , place your hook about 4 inches off bottom walk away let it sit, i have even had my line about 2 feet below the ice hole caught some like that also, find weedbeds fish them i like 5 to 8 feet of water, dont make allot of noise either on the ice like walking around. keep your hook small and place minnow vertical on it. This has been very affective for me over the years.
I only fish on days that end with a Y

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 06, 2010, 07:19 AM »
Same here! I make a light leader about 5 feet long and keep a small split shot about a foot above my live bait. Most times my swivel to the leader is just off the reel. I use a small hook and medium size bait for bows.

When they take the bait they are usually aggressive and I don't wait around to allow them time to spit the hook. Trout tend to hit and run like they just robbed the bank and this same set up works great for Browns. Bows tend to hit in rapid fire succession so when you get one flag be prepared for another.

Gary
If I agreed with you we would both be wrong!

Offline SDFlagChaser

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 06, 2010, 11:06 AM »
if you are jigging for them.  work all the way from the bottom to the top.  I use a vex, so it's easy for me to see a rainbow suspended half way down.  we usually fish in 40-50 ft for lakers, and all the sudden something will show up half way down or less.  if you see this, reel up fast and usually they will hit.  just work your way up from the bottom.  I have been fishing over 45 feet of water and sight fishing rainbows that were right below the ice.  they cruise at every depth.  silver or gold kasmasters work good, tipped with some waxies or a minnow head.  I also like white colored jigs.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.