Author Topic: Help identify old tipdown style  (Read 654 times)

Offline FishGut

• Team IceShanty Addict
Help identify old tipdown style
« on: Feb 21, 2010, 08:23 PM »
My grandfather used to have a type of tipdown some 40 years ago, and I want to find something similar. I remember them being about a 1x4 about 2 feet long. There was a spool mounted to it, with the flag pivoting in the middle. On the flag was a lead weight that slid once the fish had taken the line. You planted them at a 45 degree angle with a metal spike that came out from the bottom. What are they called, and where could I find some? I suppose I'll make them if I can't find similar ones.
Nebraska certified Fishing Instructor

Offline Madpuppy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • CAGA HOKUWA
Re: Help identify old tipdown style
« Reply #1 on: Feb 22, 2010, 06:28 AM »
Can't say as I've ever seen one like that FishGut, if it's 40 years old I would suggest hitting the antique shops and flea markets to see what turns up. Maybe you could find one to pattern off of to make more, I'll keep my eyes open as I hit the flea market circuit in the summertime, might try ebay or craigslist also. If I would happen across one I'll let ya know, I'm just north of you about 75 miles.
I'D RATHER BE HATED FOR WHO I AM,
THAN LOVED FOR WHO I'M NOT.

Offline jimyoumook

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Help identify old tipdown style
« Reply #2 on: Feb 22, 2010, 07:13 AM »
my grand father had some of those as well must have been a Nebraska thing but i remember him telling me that he made his

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.