The ice fishing WY board is sponsored by:

Author Topic: Rob Roy and Lakes in Snowies  (Read 1172 times)

Offline wyopro

• Team IceShanty Regular
Rob Roy and Lakes in Snowies
« on: Feb 28, 2012, 08:46 PM »
Anybody fished them?  How thick is the ice on average?  How much snow on the ice or does it usually blow off?  I've ridden sleds in them hills for a decade, but never bothered to check any of this out because I was much into ice fishing. 
Thinking:

Bear Lake
Lake Marie
Rob Roy
Gap Lakes etc...
Thanks in advance.

Offline Special

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Old School
Re: Rob Roy and Lakes in Snowies
« Reply #1 on: Feb 28, 2012, 09:55 PM »
We snowshoed, crosscountry skied up to owen and had a blast.  Worth the trip.  Ice was good and fishing was non stoped all day long.  We all talked about doing it again but, got the ich for walleye and never did it again.  As for Rob Roy what I've been told its a great fishery and easy access on a sled. Hope that helps, owen was not on your list though.
No one left behind.     

Offline wyopro

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 28, 2012, 11:00 PM »
Yeah I forgot to mention Owen but my cousin and I talked about it as well....I'd be up for anything as long as the fishing is good!

Offline wyotoach

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Feb 29, 2012, 12:18 AM »
How far did you have to go to get into Owen?

Offline Special

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Old School
« Reply #4 on: Feb 29, 2012, 10:24 AM »
If you have to walk. You start over by Albany the road that splits albany and woodslanding don't know what it called but.  There is a big turn right heading to albany and you take a left onto the dirt road mail boxes lots of them. Get a map probly easyer to understand. But if you start from the bottom of the road that leads up to owen half way up you can take the old railroad tracks which is now a nice trail which leads to Owen. Get a early start if you have a sled much much easyer.  I fixed my thread hope its easyer to understand. lol
No one left behind.     

Offline DeadSeaFisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I get the SLOW bite alot!
« Reply #5 on: Feb 29, 2012, 04:15 PM »
Special, you have HOW MANY YEARS under your belt at UW, or are you typing on a iphone....gosh, it funny (AND HARD AS HELL) to read most of your posts... ::) ??? ;D ;) :) ;D :P ;D ;D ;D i know you got several degrees!
><{{{{*>~---

Offline Shoe

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 29, 2012, 04:47 PM »
Ha. ha.  I was thinking Special's description was hard to follow, too.  But he tried and there is some hope in that.  I wouldn't mind trudging to Owen but am not sure the best route, don't know about railroad tracks.  I have plenty of maps but many potential routes, even a cross country one that comes up on the east side of the lake.  But...I don't want my widow to have to find my body after the snow melts.

s

Offline DeadSeaFisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I get the SLOW bite alot!
« Reply #7 on: Feb 29, 2012, 07:03 PM »
Ive known Special for many years, hes a good dude, so i hope he doesnt mind. lol The name speaks for itsself, just ask him.  ;D
><{{{{*>~---

Offline Special

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Old School
« Reply #8 on: Feb 29, 2012, 08:57 PM »
Ive known Special for many years, hes a good dude, so i hope he doesn't mind. lol The name speaks for itsself, just ask him.  ;D
Ok special is by bag/nick name on the Wyoming Rugby Team. My famous quote in the Branding Iron (college paper) was "Dude hold my whiskey watch this!" So I'm proud of being special. Theres only one of me ;D.  The good old days.
No one left behind.     

Offline wyopro

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Mar 01, 2012, 04:29 PM »
So what are the odds of packing into one of these mountain lakes only to bottom out your auger without punching through? 

Offline Special

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Old School
« Reply #10 on: Mar 01, 2012, 05:14 PM »
When we fished owen there was a good 18 inches of ice.  But I haven't been up there in years so I don't know how cold its been to give you a estimate.  But the best way to find out is someone punch a couple of test holes.  But I would say your odds of making it through are good, or buy an extension just in case.  Here's an idea, give a call to the bar in albany/centennial to see if they now anyone that has been fishing up on top. Start there you never know? Or try the pond that's just left of sand lake road down in the trees to get a estimate of how thick the ice is.  You can drive there by vehicle and walk down to it.  If I'm correct its just before you get the ski area. Its an idea.
No one left behind.     

Offline drocks101

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Mar 01, 2012, 05:19 PM »
If anyone goes up to fish Rob Roy be careful.  I did a creel survey up this this past summer and I talked to a lot of fisherman that have iced fished it in the past. They said that the water level has a tendency to be below the ice level. This is from Cheyenne drawing down the water after ice cover.  But if you can get up there and there is some good fishing conditions then there is a potential to catch some 5+ pound browns. We caught some in our nets this past summer.
Weekend Warrior

Offline wyopro

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Mar 01, 2012, 09:33 PM »
drocks101, please edit your post to "1.5 lb browns"...thanks

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.