Author Topic: what do you use for night time fishing on your tip ups to see the flag go off  (Read 3407 times)

Offline Trow

• IceShanty Rookie
  • love fishing hardwater
I was looking for mercury switches to set them on the tip ups and i couldent find them so i got tire flys and am trying them but thay flash and shut off when movement stops
WERE IS THE ICE

Offline blue mule

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • LOOK CLOSER...
here's what i'm trying this year. won't help to see, but you can hear. got some window alarms at the dollar store. they have self adhesive backing. stick the alarm to your trap. the small piece is tied to the flag. it's held in place by a small magnet. flag goes up, the alarm goes off. got a couple on the round frabell tip ups. they're about half the size of a bic lighter, and weigh nothing. for a buck apice, they're worth a try. haven't tried 'em on ice yet, but they worked great in the garage.

Offline JCaughtem

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Someday I will have a record fish!
Red or white reflective tape tape with a decent flash lite you would be surprised how far away you can see them.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
Red or white reflective tape tape with a decent flash lite you would be surprised how far away you can see them.
yep it simple but thats all i use i dont set my tip up more than 70 yards anyway.

Offline USMarine2001

• Team IceShanty Addict
Small chem lights would be an idea to try

Offline Ice Dog 67

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • DCB = Delta Bravo
Omni Strike lights

Offline Trow

• IceShanty Rookie
  • love fishing hardwater
went to fish307.com picked up some frabill arctic fire tip up lights going out and seeing how thay are going to work thay look like thay are going to work great cant wait  :tipup: :tipup: :D
WERE IS THE ICE

Offline Bailbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I couple of years ago I got some lights for Xmas, they are red and flash, it also has a siren to get you attention.BB

Catching big fish is like winning the door prize!
Have to be there to win!!!!

Offline NYFishFinder

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing is not only a sport, but a Dedication
My tipups are covered in reflective tape and I use a spotlight. Can usually pick out a flag a couple hundred yards away.

Offline Slammerman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • It's SLAMMIN' TIME !!!
Strike Sensor system. There's a sending unit at each of my tip-ups and a pager in my pocket tuned to the same frequency. Even if I go out of range, there's still the bright red light that comes on at the sending unit.

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery

Offline panfishman13

• Team IceShanty Maniac
tie a long peice of string to the line and then to your big toe ;D, when it starts pulling, you have a fish, plus, no more wind flags!

Offline splash

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Its how you thumb it that counts
tie a long peice of string to the line and then to your big toe ;D, when it starts pulling, you have a fish, plus, no more wind flags 
/curious what color string do you use?quote]

Offline GrnDay33

• Team IceShanty Addict
tie a long peice of string to the line and then to your big toe ;D, when it starts pulling, you have a fish, plus, no more wind flags!

Would you use a water proof string so it doesn't freeze up? Or maybe some fishing line??

Offline MeatHunter737

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • GutPileStyle
I buy bells with alligator clips that are used for fishing poles (I use them when I'm night fishing and drinking with the guys) you can find them at fishusa.com

Offline IceFlagger

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Trick'in & Kill'in
went to fish307.com picked up some frabill arctic fire tip up lights going out and seeing how thay are going to work thay look like thay are going to work great cant wait  :tipup: :tipup: :D
How'd those lights work out for you? I'd be intrested in a set for mine if they work well.

Offline husb0023

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Punching Holes in Wisconsin Since 1986
frabill tip up lights work great, I have been using them 2 years now with no problems.

Offline dav

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • dav, no better time to wet your line.

Yup, reflective tape. Put the tape on your post as well as your flag. When the flag goes up they will be seperated and easy to tell the flag is up (two seperated reflective tapes).

dav
FIND PEACE, LOSE YOURSELF IN NATURE....

Offline esox13

• Team IceShanty Addict
I use the Frabill Lil' Shiner Tip-Up Light and they work great.

Offline icefisher 21

• IceShanty Rookie
i use a spotlight and my flags are reflecive

Offline RLWagner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Strike Master pager system. The trip will page a reciever and illuminate a light on the trap.

Offline IceFlagger

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Trick'in & Kill'in
Whats that strike master pager system run for?

Offline Blaine

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Another vote for the Frabill Lil' Shiners. I used the HT Omni Strikes for years. They worked well but the batteries were\are expensive and hard to find. I switched 2 years ago to the Frabills and like them MUCH better. They are brighter than the Omni's and they flash which makes them easier to tell apart from everyone else I fished with. The downside is that they are made for round shafted flags like what you find on Heritage and Polars, in order to put them onthe flat steel like what you see on Jack Traps you have to tape or zip tie them in place.

Now that all of my friends have then, mine look just like everyone elses again  ::) Not anymore! I took one apart and the circuit board pulls right out. An easy to get to solder joint and a solder iron and PRESTO, I can put in a different color LED. I haven't decided what color I want but am leaning towards green ;)

I also put glow bells on all of mine, so when one pops I can hear it even in a howling wind...

Offline RLWagner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Whats that strike master pager system run for?

About 129.00 for one reciever and I think a pair of transmitters, and 29.00 for a transmitter . Had them a couple years so you may want to double check with Gander Mountain.

Offline Mooter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hey Smitty, Lets fish it! Jigmaster5000's oarman
spot light and reflective tape

In pursuit of meat without feet!!!!

Offline IceFlagger

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Trick'in & Kill'in
About 129.00 for one reciever and I think a pair of transmitters, and 29.00 for a transmitter . Had them a couple years so you may want to double check with Gander Mountain.
Great, thanks for the information.

Offline RLWagner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
They work up to 500' away!! Nothing worse than being in your shack and someone yelling "Hey dude!! You got another flag!!". With the pager you are the first to know!!

Offline Mooter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
They work up to 500' away!! Nothing worse than being in your shack and someone yelling "Hey dude!! You got another flag!!". With the pager you are the first to know!!

Hey Dude
Flags up

Offline RLWagner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Hey Dude
Flags up

CRUD!!! Had a dead battery!!! I'll be right back (as I sprint across the ice)

Offline Mooter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
CRUD!!! Had a dead battery!!! I'll be right back (as I sprint across the ice)

:roflmao:  Sprint  :roflmao:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.