Author Topic: Tactics for pike?  (Read 3251 times)

Offline Dil_bert911

• IceShanty Rookie
Tactics for pike?
« on: Feb 08, 2006, 06:55 PM »
to whom it may concern
does anyone have any tips on pike ice fishin for a 2nd year 14 yr old ice fisherman, i like to go to big lakes and use pike shiners, but yet still no luck, although i have caughten a 1 pound 4oz perch  and a 18inch pickeral, but still no pike, will someone please reply or send somethoing to [email protected]

Offline Danderson

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Tactics for pike?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 08, 2006, 06:56 PM »
dillon finnaly got an ice shanty account! yay! :P

Offline esox slayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Feb 08, 2006, 06:59 PM »
dilbert....hang on a few and I'll send some hints...Esox...
Marine Infantry NCO- Semper Fi!!!

Offline big big rdg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pike Hunter
« Reply #3 on: Feb 08, 2006, 07:03 PM »
Look under the Pike board, there is a TON of good info there. ;)

Offline esox slayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Feb 08, 2006, 07:13 PM »
Dilbert...My pike tip ups are like this....I use treble hooks, size #2 or 4.  Use a 1 foot steel leader, preferably with a crodd lock swivel.  Tie this to some good braided nylon fishing line, I use 36 pound as a minimum and generally use bigger, it's a lot easier to untangle bigger line than the small stuff, plus if you get into some big pike you'll be happy you've got the heavier line.

I clip on a split shot about 6 inches above the knot, not a big one but something in the neighborhood of a pss-3.

Before you tie all this up, either take an old button or get some of those small bobbers they sell, the real small ones for depth markers on your line.

I check depth on every hole I set, and then start out pulling 4 feet off the bottom, sometimes I drop to 2 feet off bottom but my best luck has been at 4 foot, this will get you above the weeds if there are any and pike generally feed up anyway.

I use big shiners or big suckers, but prefer the biggest shiners I can get my hands on.  I hook mine very shallow right in front of the dorsal fin, if you set the hook too deep then you'll break his spine and he won't move, he'll wriggle like mad if you get it just right.

When you get a flag, unless the reel is screaming when you get to the hole, then wait about 5 minutes before you even touch it.  Pike will hit the bait and make a run, or just slowly take a few turns of line, they'll then spit the bait and bring it around so they can swallow it head first, after the 2nd run, then take the tip up out and set the reel so it can free spool on the ice don't set it reel down on the ice, let the line feed through your fingers, then give it a good sharp tug and set the hook.

Start pulling and don't stop pulling until you get the hook and the fish back to the hole, pike a lot of times will follow back to the hole without fighting till they get close, but it'll fool you and you'll think you lost the fish.

The button on my line serves 2 purposes:  It allows me to reset my depth after bringing in a fish, and it tells me when to slow down on pulling in line as you'll want to slow down a bit when you know the fish is close to the hole.  Make sure you don't stop pulling the line until you've got the fish on the ice or have the empty hook on the ice....

I could give you a bunch more stuff tonight, but this is a good basic set up for you.  If you look around on here in the tips section, click on northerns and you'll see a bunch of variations on how/what to use and why we do what we do to catch pike, as well as most other fish....Good luck....post away on here and these guys will steer you in the right direction.....Tight Lines and welcome aboard.....Esox

Offline Dil_bert911

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Feb 08, 2006, 07:19 PM »
hey, thanks a lot, i live in western mass and we just had a huge freeze over, dunno if uve herd of it but i will probly be headen out to East brimfeild reovoir for some pike fishin, once again, thanks a lot!!

Offline esox slayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Feb 08, 2006, 07:22 PM »
No problem..the "tips" section I told you about is up toward the top right corner of the screen....go there and you'll learn a lot, I've been fishing 40 years and I have learned plenty from here.  Stay on top....Esox....

Offline iceintheveins

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If you won't fight for freedom, your not American!
« Reply #7 on: Feb 08, 2006, 07:45 PM »
I employ tip ups for pike. My favorite tipup is the HT windlass. Use 15 pound HT Polar vinyl coated tip up line. It is very pliable and will never freeze.
On the end of that line, tie on a barrel swivel. Then follow with 3 feet of 15 - 20 pound fluorocarbon leader, either p line leader or stren high impact. Unless the water is quite murky, don't use wire. It repells strikes. In fact I went from hardly ever catching pike to catching plenty of pike by switching from wire to fluorocarbon.
Quick strike rigs are the key. I use a pair of #8 gamakatsu trebles for the baits in the 4" - 8" range. I either use small perch or a 6" anchovy.
As for locations, I like points and inside turns within bays. Usually I fish 6 - 15 feet of water and set the baits a foot or so off the bottom.
When you get a flag, if the spool is spinning good, just set the hook and don't wait. I have never missed a pike that was taking out line steadily. If he isn't taking line, just sit and wait till he really starts moving. Then set the hook with a short, quick jerk.
Politically incorrect, and proud of it.

Offline FishinCrazy147

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Feb 09, 2006, 08:46 PM »
dillon finnaly got an ice shanty account! yay! :P
Hey dan, i forgot my password to my old account, so i got another!!! this is it, dude call me, we  gotta go to E brimfeild this weekend for sum big pike!

Offline Danderson

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Feb 09, 2006, 09:15 PM »
dude, sorry i didnt call, my dad baned me from the comp. ill c yah after school tommorow

billybono

« Reply #10 on: Feb 09, 2006, 09:40 PM »
Use 15 pound HT Polar vinyl coated tip up line. It is very pliable and will never freeze.

i wouldent use it.....its slippery and hard to get a good grip on....its junk imho

billybono

Offline Kyle_

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Feb 09, 2006, 11:13 PM »
I would also say stay away from windlass tipups
we nicknamed a buddies the "gaylass" tipup
he had 2 pike hit, both times the spool got wrapped up on a piece and he lost the fish.
also his spool kept freezing up cuz its outta the water.

billybono

« Reply #12 on: Feb 10, 2006, 06:01 AM »
I would also say stay away from windlass tipups
we nicknamed a buddies the "gaylass" tipup

:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:  yeah there junk also imho

billybono

Offline Bob_D

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • www.Fishingvermont.net
« Reply #13 on: Feb 10, 2006, 06:54 AM »
Try this.... http://www.fishingvermont.net/northern_pike_through_the_ice.htm . I need to update the article a little, but it will get you started.

Offline abbeys shanty

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Feb 10, 2006, 09:14 AM »
BD- what a great article.  I am going to try some of these ideas soon.
Whats cooler than cool??  ICE COLD!!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.