Author Topic: Showdown vs Troller Combo  (Read 2210 times)

Offline markjsolomon

• Team IceShanty Regular
Showdown vs Troller Combo
« on: Dec 04, 2015, 02:19 PM »
Hey guys

I was thinking about a small flasher....  I love my camera and will use that but I was thinking of something to help locating the right fishing hole and like the idea of the troller combo.  Then I saw the showdown was not much more....benefits draw backs anyone please?

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
Re: Showdown vs Troller Combo
« Reply #1 on: Dec 04, 2015, 06:13 PM »
Not sure what you mean. I have what is called the Showdown Troller. There is a Showdown that isn't the 2.0 which is a little cheaper. The combo has the bag.
<===Lefty===

Offline dekatronic

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 04, 2015, 06:18 PM »
Showdown Troller is the portable version, as in runs on AA batteries and can be put in your pocket.  You can also get a pack to run it off a 12v.  The Showdown 5.6 is a larger version that runs off a 12v battery and comes with the pack. 

I have the 5.6 and my nephew runs the Troller.  5.6 screen is larger and in my comparisons for some reason has much better sensitivity than the Troller.  For a first sonar it is a great choice.

Offline bldfrt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 06, 2015, 08:20 AM »
I don't know exactly which model it was but my buddy had a showdown last season and it couldn't get wet or it would mess up and have to be sent back for repair. Seemed silly to me a fish finder that couldn't get any wet he sold it recently and bought a flasher. If you search a little you'll find threads about the problem make sure you go with one that doesn't have that issue. I prefer a flasher but will admit the size and vertical display was nice. The size also would have made me nervous around holes I can be clumsy

Offline appleye

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Dec 06, 2015, 08:42 AM »
The biggest difference between the troller 2.0 and the 5.6 besides the larger screen and batteries is the zoom and a depth setting in the 5.6. I use both and use the 2.0 when drilling holes and looking for fish. When I settle into and area or spot I go with the 5.6.
In the memory of "Team Lighting" Fish ON!
No one ever says,"Man that fish tastes small.
Thank you Lord for thinkin bout me. I'm alive and doin fine!!!!!!

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #5 on: Dec 06, 2015, 10:22 AM »
sounds like you would want both. the small one for scouting and the full sized one for fishing.
that's what marcum said they do too, but they use the lx9 and the rt9.

Offline TRS71

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Dec 14, 2015, 02:14 AM »
 I've used both Marcums and much prefer the 5.6. The 2.0 was for my buddy, and he ended up sending it back. Hard time with it in shallower water, and needed a hefty jig to even show up. Honestly I used the Marcum 5.6 about 10 times over 2 years, and it seems like it lost sensitivity with age, and it's been pampered too, No snowmobile rides or bumps,drops,spills.

Also I sent the charger back after a week, the green light never came on, now the replacements doing it to. (Battery's Fine, works with a digital trickle charger,)
 Can't comment on the Troller, but if it ever freezes here I'm dumping the Marcum and getting a Vexilar flasher.

Offline jamison1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 14, 2015, 05:37 PM »
I just bought a showdown 5.6 dual beam. hopefully I wont have any problems with it..

Offline metalbender

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 14, 2015, 09:23 PM »
I bought a 2.0 combo in the fall, haven't used it yet.  The size and features sold me on it, to go along with my Micro 5 dvr camera.

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #9 on: Dec 20, 2015, 12:33 AM »
I would go with the full sized Showdown because you don't have to feed it batteries and  longer battery life. 

Jamison1, good luck with your new Showdown.  You got lucky because this year the bean counters struck and they don't make the Dual Beam anymore, only the single beam which is silly since all their other machines are dual beams.  I've had the Showdown Dual Beam for the past three years and can't say enough good things about it.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #10 on: Dec 20, 2015, 01:05 AM »
I would go with the full sized Showdown because you don't have to feed it batteries and  longer battery life. 

Jamison1, good luck with your new Showdown.  You got lucky because this year the bean counters struck and they don't make the Dual Beam anymore, only the single beam which is silly since all their other machines are dual beams.  I've had the Showdown Dual Beam for the past three years and can't say enough good things about it.
dual beams are for sale again at marcums site for 380$

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #11 on: Dec 20, 2015, 01:09 AM »
That's good news, when I talked with them a few months ago they said they weren't going to make the Dual Beams anymore. 

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #12 on: Dec 20, 2015, 01:13 AM »
they told me they had quit making them a few years ago and any thing we see for sale was left over stock. now they are selling it, so it must be back in production.
you get 10% off for signing up with their email subscription and it costs 350$ then.
jamison just bought his that way today.

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #13 on: Dec 20, 2015, 01:26 AM »
I hope they keep making them because they're a good machine.  I have a friend who's been looking for one and will let him know.  That's a great deal.

Offline jamison1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Dec 20, 2015, 10:27 AM »
Also came with a free bottle opener hahaha and free shipping aswell. I should be getting the unit this week.

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #15 on: Dec 20, 2015, 06:13 PM »
HAHAHAHA The bottle opener really puts it over the top.  LOL

Offline jamison1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Dec 20, 2015, 07:55 PM »
HAHAHAHA The bottle opener really puts it over the top.  LOL
Oh wait and a magnet! Came in the mail today haha free is good in my book.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.